Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

From the now infamous text message, we know Goodwin desperately wants/wanted to be a Billikens. That is the kind of kid the staff should take an early chance on. That is the kind of kid who will bust his ass working to make himself a better player for you and will help the staff to get everyone else to buy in.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we again getting too excited about semantics? What does offer really mean if not binding? That we like a kid? And do we really know if an offer has been made or not made?

An offer is not binding at all. It becomes morally binding if the kid accepts the offer but until then there is nothing wrong with you backing off if the situation changes. Supposedly davel roby had offers from most of the sec but the truth is most of those were from his sophomore year and most no longer existed by his junior year when commuted to slu.

For example, Indiana currently has 24 offers outstanding to players in the 2016 class. They have 2 spots to fill. They may even sign 3 or 4 kids. But 20 of them won't be playing ball for Indiana.

From the now infamous text message, we know Goodwin desperately wants/wanted to be a Billikens. That is the kind of kid the staff should take an early chance on. That is the kind of kid who will bust his ass working to make himself a better player for you and will help the staff to get everyone else to buy in.

I agree with you, but not sure how much stock I put in the text/FB message that was shared.

An offer is not binding at all. It becomes morally binding if the kid accepts the offer but until then there is nothing wrong with you backing off if the situation changes. Supposedly davel roby had offers from most of the sec but the truth is most of those were from his sophomore year and most no longer existed by his junior year when commuted to slu.

For example, Indiana currently has 24 offers outstanding to players in the 2016 class. They have 2 spots to fill. They may even sign 3 or 4 kids. But 20 of them won't be playing ball for Indiana.

Giving out a ton of offers to local kids and then rescinding many of those later will hurt our local recruiting much worse than not offering certain kids early. The reality is that it is all about building relationships with the kids and their coaches. Not offering super earlier does not prevent that from happening.

Giving out a ton of offers to local kids and then rescinding many of those later will hurt our local recruiting much worse than not offering certain kids early. The reality is that it is all about building relationships with the kids and their coaches. Not offering super earlier does not prevent that from happening.

I'm not suggesting we move to the Indiana model. But I do think we are making a mistake by slow playing a kid like Goodwin that is likely good enough for slu. We clearly made a mistake in not being the first to offer Cook.

I'm not suggesting we move to the Indiana model. But I do think we are making a mistake by slow playing a kid like Goodwin that is likely good enough for slu. We clearly made a mistake in not being the first to offer Cook.

Possibly so, but at the same time what weight does an offer carry if we offer every local kid early that might be good enough to play here?

I'm not trying to say you're completely wrong or anything, but many on the board expect us to offer kids early simply because they're local.

Is Wyatt Yess still projecting as a high major recruit at this point?

I believe his only offers right now are from us and Wyoming. However, I imagine he'll receive more after the summer. To answer your question: yes. He'll likely have plenty of offers from "high major" school.

I do agree that with an offer from Illinois, I wish we would have already offered. It is strange though that from looking at his page, Illinois seems to be the only team that has offered. Would think there would be other smaller schools around that would have offered him.

The big thing to me though isn't the offer as much as it is I hope Crews or one of the coaches has been out to see him a couple times and has had communication with him. Not just giving him an offer immediately can be something they can recover from as long as they are building a relationship.

According to the IlliniLoyalty message board, Illinois has offered almost 30 kids in the next two classes for 6 slots. They've offered the current top 7 in-state kids in the 2017 class. Could be 50 offers before its all over. I think SignGuy is getting an offer next week. You still got some eligibility left, right Steve?

According to the IlliniLoyalty message board, Illinois has offered almost 30 kids in the next two classes for 6 slots. They've offered the current top 7 in-state kids in the 2017 class. Could be 50 offers before its all over. I think SignGuy is getting an offer next week. You still got some eligibility left, right Steve?

The last act of a desperate man...

Groce is firmly on the hot seat. I would be surprised if he is around to see the class of 2017. 2 NITs in a row with another on the horizon isn't getting it done for Illinois fans.

I think he's saying what most others have been saying. If a talented local kid who apparently has high interest in SLU is offered by Illinois, there's no reason why we shouldn't have offered him as well.

And I'm saying that isn't how it works and much more goes into it then simply saying a player is local and has 1 good offer so we need to offer him.

Why do you think we haven't offered?

Because the second Illinois offered it was posted on twitter, which then makes its way onto VerbalCommits and other websites. It would be surprising for SLU to offer and no word of it make it onto social media.

Edit: Oops, after seeing Brianstl's post I see what you really meant. Ignore the above.

3star makes some pretty strong points in this thread. I did not realize the Illini having that large number of schollie offers out. I do not subscribe to the notion that whoever the Illini offer should be good enough to play for SLU. That is a pretty self-deprecating philosophy.

As far as Goodwin specifically...my MBM expertise tells me that a 15-16 year old with that scoring prowess and wide body would look nice in Billiken uni.

The kid is a stud, end of story. He should've been offered at the very least after that game in OFallon vs St. Joseph's where he had 35pts against 2 Big 10 recruits.

Completely agree. That is the only game I saw him play and I left saying he should have an offer from SLU without question. The kid is just relentless and so productive that I think he will find a way to be successful at the next level regardless of how much taller he gets. He reminds me of guys like Jett, Evans, or Conklin who may have lacked the ideal size/athleticism/skill set for their position, but were just so tough and outworked you. I think Goodwin would be a great get for SLU and it is nice to hear he has some natural interest in the school.

Completely agree. That is the only game I saw him play and I left saying he should have an offer from SLU without question. The kid is just relentless and so productive that I think he will find a way to be successful at the next level regardless of how much taller he gets. He reminds me of guys like Jett, Evans, or Conklin who may have lacked the ideal size/athleticism/skill set for their position, but were just so tough and outworked you. I think Goodwin would be a great get for SLU and it is nice to hear he has some natural interest in the school.

If Goodwin could jump like Jett or was 6'5 like Evans or had a mid-range game like Roosevelt Jones, I'd have no reservation with offering him as a sophomore. Right now he's a 6'3 below-the-rim player who scores half his points on post ups. Just show me consistent game outside of 5 feet. I don't think that's too much to ask of a 6'3 kid you're offering as a sophomore.