Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Heard this guy on Wheeler's show today.  He was from ESPN and was asked about which of the 3 local teams would make the dance first - Wheeler already told him that SLU has a big recruiting class even better than what you would think of in the A10 and others coming.  The guy says IL - they have the most going for them is basically what he said. My guess is this guy knows nothing about college BB unless it is about a Power 5 school.  Looking at Big Bill's post with the rankings made be think how could anybody who calls themselves a college BB expert not know what is going on in recruiting.  Wheeler actually said that about a third of his poll responses was for Missouri, IL, and SLU each for this question.  Now I expect listeners to be bias and uninformed but this guy should do his homework.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Heard this guy on Wheeler's show today.  He was from ESPN and was asked about which of the 3 local teams would make the dance first - Wheeler already told him that SLU has a big recruiting class even better than what you would think of in the A10 and others coming.  The guy says IL - they have the most going for them is basically what he said. My guess is this guy knows nothing about college BB unless it is about a Power 5 school.  Looking at Big Bill's post with the rankings made be think how could anybody who calls themselves a college BB expert not know what is going on in recruiting.  Wheeler actually said that about a third of his poll responses was for Missouri, IL, and SLU each for this question.  Now I expect listeners to be bias and uninformed but this guy should do his homework.

Maybe he feels the Illini have the talent in place to make the tourney, they just need a coach

24 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I don't have a problem with that statement.  Illinois has a competitive team currently and an equally impressive, if not better, incoming recruiting class than us. Groce's status creates a bit of a wild card situation, but assuming he's back, they should be in contention for a bid next season.  I'm hopeful we will be in that position next year, but that's a big leap and we have a lot of unknowns.

23 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

image.jpg

This is all you need to know about 101 ESPN. 

The "Home of the Billikens"

This has been a problem with 101.1 since they picked  us up.  When they do score reports they always mention us after the others.  Apparently this is something that the station simply does not care to rectify.  

The guy did say that he was assuming that IL would be able to hold on to their in coming class but that can be a big if especially since Tilmon specifically said his relationship was with Walker and he would probably be gone if Groce goes.  I am not so sure that IL has such a great team - the last 2 coaches there were unable to coach the players successfully that they each had - Weber is doing fine at Kst and who knows where Groce may land and perform.  I just think that a coach who has the players he wants and will play the style that he recruited them for will be more successful then a new coach and players who may or may not want to be there.  

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

I don't have a problem with that statement.  Illinois has a competitive team currently and an equally impressive, if not better, incoming recruiting class than us. Groce's status creates a bit of a wild card situation, but assuming he's back, they should be in contention for a bid next season.  I'm hopeful we will be in that position next year, but that's a big leap and we have a lot of unknowns.

Except there's no factor given to the conference situation. The A10 is wide open again next year. Even if Groce stays and maintains the same incoming class and returners, they've gotta climb up a much tougher ladder.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Except there's no factor given to the conference situation. The A10 is wide open again next year. Even if Groce stays and maintains the same incoming class and returners, they've gotta climb up a much tougher ladder.

I'd argue they'd have an easier time getting a tourney bid because of their conference affiliation.  Go .500 in the Big 10 and you're potentially dancing.  There's a smaller margin of error for A-10 teams. 

As someone close to our program, I think we have a chance to be good next season, but we're talking about jumping up 200+ spots in the computer rankings.  If I'm any sort of pundit, I'd probably be picking ILL too.

OK guys this in a nutshell is the problem with "experts" in the news. Perhaps they know something in depth about some of the top conferences, but many just go by their general feeling when they pronounce stuff like this. A lot of the "experts" are just not experts or not experts with enough expertise to say much about next year.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

OK guys this in a nutshell is the problem with "experts" in the news. Perhaps they know something in depth about some of the top conferences, but many just go by their general feeling when they pronounce stuff like this. A lot of the "experts" are just not experts or not experts with enough expertise to say much about next year.

Thank you - that was the point I was trying to make.

It's hard to see how the Illini will be good enough to make the leap to being a NCAA Tourney team next year. They graduate Hill who is clearly their best player, plus their 2nd best player. They have a nice recruiting class, but they're not exactly the Fab 5. And to make that jump from a team not even close to making the Tourney to getting there the next year in the Big 10 is no easy task.  Obviously SLU making the leap to being a NCAA tourney team next year would be a BIG improvement, but it is much easier to make that leap in the A10. Dayton, VCU and URI figure to be down a little. A lot of unknowns until we see how all the newcomers mesh, but it seems more likely we would make the Tourney next year than Illinois.

On February 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM, SShoe said:

I'd argue they'd have an easier time getting a tourney bid because of their conference affiliation.  Go .500 in the Big 10 and you're potentially dancing.  There's a smaller margin of error for A-10 teams. 

As someone close to our program, I think we have a chance to be good next season, but we're talking about jumping up 200+ spots in the computer rankings.  If I'm any sort of pundit, I'd probably be picking ILL too.

Jumping 200 might be easier than you think. we will have not only a completely different team, but all 6 players we are getting are probably all better than the group we are seeing have a chance at 6-7 A10 wins this year. Don't lose to bad teams and get around 14 A10 wins and we are most likely dancing.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for those that GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY. Hypothetically speaking if Bruce Weber were to get canned at Kansas St. and Levi Stockard no longer wanted to go to K-State, would/should SLU be interested? Has his senior year lived up to a Big 12 scholarship?