Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

Mizzou would be a good landing spot for Pickett. However, there is a good chance him and Tilmon never play together there.

I think you may be right. I'd put it better than 50/50 that they never see the court together.

4 hours ago, MUTGR said:

I'm sure it's devious and underhanded since Mizzou is involved, correct? 

No it's weird because Pickett is obviously looking to go to the highest possible level. If you're going to take a quasi redshirt year, why not leave your recruitment open and try going to a higher level school?

He definitely screwed up by asking out of his Illinois LOI. He could have redshirted there, like Brian said, and been in someone's actual program. He got some really bad advice because the market for his services went from really hot to Drake maybe if they would have offered. Now he is going to some tba prep school and hoping he has a scholarship at Mizzou when he can sign a LOI in 18 months. 

Assuming all goes well with Pickett in his additional year of HS he should resolve some of the issues he may have now and do fine in college the following year. However if things do not work as expected next year he may have some additional problems. We need to wait to see what happens with him next year.

2 Sold Out Positions as of 03/31/2017

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

No it's weird because Pickett is obviously looking to go to the highest possible level. If you're going to take a quasi redshirt year, why not leave your recruitment open and try going to a higher level school?

He definitely screwed up by asking out of his Illinois LOI. He could have redshirted there, like Brian said, and been in someone's actual program. He got some really bad advice because the market for his services went from really hot to Drake maybe if they would have offered. Now he is going to some tba prep school and hoping he has a scholarship at Mizzou when he can sign a LOI in 18 months. 

From what I gather, he went to Illinois because he's tight with Tilmon. And a good player.  Billiken Roy confirmed that he's a good D1 player. 

14 hours ago, MUTGR said:

Roy thinks he's a good D1 prospect:

"And i agree with 3 star.   if this rumor is true, i am proud of ford for being honest with him.    how many greedy coaches would just promise away unconcerned.    i have seen pickett a lot.   and i think pickett is a fantastic D1 prospect.  the billiken fandom would love him."

Roy knows his basketball. 

Well, considering Mizzou has one of the worst collection of guards in the SEC, Pickett should get some minutes early.

pickett is a very good D1 prospect.   is he a cant miss?   he could improve on his ball skills and his outside shooting, but he has ton of talent.   the problem with him becoming a billiken was apparently he wanted to play right away.  sure there are guards on our roster i believe him to be better than immediately.   however,  he isnt going to play guard/small forward ahead of goodwin, bess, henriquez or graves.   rumor is he was offered a sign and redshirt deal but he didnt want to do that.   his decision to go off to prep school effectively gives him the same developmental year the billikens offered and he doesnt have to use one of his 5 years of college eligibility.   i think he made a good decision and i expect he will play a strong role for mi$$ouri in the future.  we really dont need to talk about him any longer.   

at this time, i hope the billikens are putting their efforts into sealing the verbal commit for gordon as you know he is being whispered to constantly.   second i hope we are looking at keeping our tie to liddell who will graduate in 2019 and imo is going to be an elite player.   Justin Love getting a head coaching position at a different high school loses our "in" we had.   now ford is on even ground with everyone else for ej liddell.    

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

pickett is a very good D1 prospect.   is he a cant miss?   he could improve on his ball skills and his outside shooting, but he has ton of talent.   the problem with him becoming a billiken was apparently he wanted to play right away.  sure there are guards on our roster i believe him to be better than immediately.   however,  he isnt going to play guard/small forward ahead of goodwin, bess, henriquez or graves.   rumor is he was offered a sign and redshirt deal but he didnt want to do that.   his decision to go off to prep school effectively gives him the same developmental year the billikens offered and he doesnt have to use one of his 5 years of college eligibility.   i think he made a good decision and i expect he will play a strong role for mi$$ouri in the future.  we really dont need to talk about him any longer.   

at this time, i hope the billikens are putting their efforts into sealing the verbal commit for gordon as you know he is being whispered to constantly.   second i hope we are looking at keeping our tie to liddell who will graduate in 2019 and imo is going to be an elite player.   Justin Love getting a head coaching position at a different high school loses our "in" we had.   now ford is on even ground with everyone else for ej liddell.    

Travis Ford is never on even ground with anyone when it comes to recruiting.  Ford stopped recruiting Pickett and he ends up at Mizzou. Not a coincidence 

FWIW I would have liked to have Pickett, but I don't coach D1 basketball. 

42 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Travis Ford is never on even ground with anyone when it comes to recruiting.  Ford stopped recruiting Pickett and he ends up at Mizzou. Not a coincidence 

FWIW I would have liked to have Pickett, but I don't coach D1 basketball. 

rise,   liddell will be one of the top talent pursuits in the country next summer.    yes ford is the best billiken recruiter ever, however liddell will be pursued by all the big boys next summer.   to assume ford is above the likes of the blue bloods in recruiting success is naive.  now the fact the billikens can honestly complete for top players like ej liddell, gordon, goodwin, is exciting.   we've really never been there before.   but just assuming ford can pick who he wants and they will become billikens or something of that ilk just isnt true............yet.  i think he has to win big before that is the case.   

37 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

rise,   liddell will be one of the top talent pursuits in the country next summer.    yes ford is the best billiken recruiter ever, however liddell will be pursued by all the big boys next summer.   to assume ford is above the likes of the blue bloods in recruiting success is naive.  now the fact the billikens can honestly complete for top players like ej liddell, gordon, goodwin, is exciting.   we've really never been there before.   but just assuming ford can pick who he wants and they will become billikens or something of that ilk just isnt true............yet.  i think he has to win big before that is the case.   

Dang Roy let me dream!

The good thing is Ford doesn't have to win in 2017 for 2018 recruits. Just looking at Mizzou's new recruits, they all go on blind faith that they will be good. All signs of a good recruiter. It doesn't seem that Underwood is much of a threat to the stl area and like Ford said, there is plenty of talent to go around

I'm not sure why everyone assumes Pickett will be able to play right away in 2018. Blake Harris and CJ Roberts are both 4 star guards who can slide over and play shooting guard and both Heist and Van Leer would be seniors. His sophomore year might be his time to shine. Cuonzo will keep great recruiting classes coming. Pickett can be a good addition, but will have to earn everything.

9 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I'm not sure why everyone assumes Pickett will be able to play right away in 2018. Blake Harris and CJ Roberts are both 4 star guards who can slide over and play shooting guard and both Heist and Van Leer would be seniors. His sophomore year might be his time to shine. Cuonzo will keep great recruiting classes coming. Pickett can be a good addition, but will have to earn everything.

if youve seen pickett play you would know he is more of a small forward/power forward type player.   until his senior year, he was almost a d evans clone in the way he played.   as a senior he got out on the wing and played more away from the basket, but he still did most of his damage scoring and defending near the basket.   my point is there is no reason he wouldnt play with two guards at the same time.   

28 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

If Heist and Van Leer are still in Missouri's rotation as seniors, Cuonzo has failed.

21 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He is in next year's class and apparently is rumored to be close with EJ Liddell.

Well Pickett committing to Illinois and trying to recruit Goodwin helped SLU out so let's hope for a repeat there.  

2 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Well Pickett committing to Illinois and trying to recruit Goodwin helped SLU out so let's hope for a repeat there.  

Goodwin also wanted Pickett and Tilmon to SLU but there wasn't enough room. I can almost guarantee we would have them if we didn't pick up our transfers

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if youve seen pickett play you would know he is more of a small forward/power forward type player.   until his senior year, he was almost a d evans clone in the way he played.   as a senior he got out on the wing and played more away from the basket, but he still did most of his damage scoring and defending near the basket.   my point is there is no reason he wouldnt play with two guards at the same time.   

You think they would play that small?

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Goodwin also wanted Pickett and Tilmon to SLU but there wasn't enough room. I can almost guarantee we would have them if we didn't pick up our transfers

glad we got the transfers instead

10 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Why do you feel there is no need to discuss him further?