Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BLIKNS said:

ck Calvin`s name right away, did he play for the Carolina Cougars?    The old ABA was entertaining , but wasn`t it right at 40 years ago.  I feel old ..  

Yes, he played for the LA Stars originally, then the Floridians, then the Cougars when the Floridians folded. Went to numerous Cougar games during their five years in Greensboro and he was on the team the last two years. He was a warrior who took nothing from no one. He would've had huge stats under normal circumstances but the Cougars guards were so good that Larry Brown platooned two sets so that each played about 24 mins a game.

When Billy Cunningham came to the Cougars he tried to big time Calvin complaining about some switching that he didn't think was done right. He got in Calvin's face about it and Calvin told him if he said one more word to him he was going to knock his ass in the seats. After that, he had Cunningham's respect and that was a very solid team for two years with excellent chemistry. Even the head case, Joe Caldwell, got with the program.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is this like how everybody in St. Louis either knew or was related to Nelly in the early 00s? 

I think some distant cousin but no matter how much I am not a fan of chris brown, if he goes full Drake and supports SLU, it can really give us some great press 

On 5/1/2017 at 2:34 PM, ACE said:

Glad to hear it. A grad transfer makes sense with the way this roster is constructed. Not sure why a few folks got worked up when I suggested the idea earlier.

Just some MBM spitballing here, but Joel Angus is a grad transfer from SEMO. Missed this past season with an injury, but the prior year averaged 10 ppg, 6 rpg.  He's from Brooklyn, so of course that means Macon may be aware of him. Went to the Putnam Science Academy - I think we have been recruiting other players from there? 

With Welmer possibly late to start the season, this is the kind of kid who fits the profile of a player who could provide some front court depth.

Angus ended up at Hofstra.

23 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

What in the world is the hold up with Pickett?

Read the Chicago Trib article linked in the Other College BB Discussion thread.  The article reads as if Illinois is glad he is gone and says he is a Valley level player. 

Since Pickett signs a financial agreement he still has time or could go the JUCO route to find better offers in 2018.

In hindsight it appears he should have stayed with Illinois.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

For all the talk about how the Illini didn't want him anymore, don't the Illini still have an offer out to Pickett?

Why do you say that? People don't typically pull an offer per se, rather schools just stop calling so if they aren't calling him anymore he's got no offer...

I have no insight but I doubt they are calling.

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Why do you say that? nobody ever has an offer pulled per se, rather schools just stop calling so if they aren't calling him anymore he's got no offer...

I thought  it was reported at the time he got his release that he was still considering the Illini and they still wanted him.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Why do you say that? People don't typically pull an offer per se, rather schools just stop calling so if they aren't calling him anymore he's got no offer...

I think that is exactly the way SLU is dealing with Pickett at this time.

52 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I thought  it was reported at the time he got his release that he was still considering the Illini and they still wanted him.

I suspect that was just a nice way for them to say goodbye to him. Given his lack of P5 interest at this point I have to think he'd jump back on the Illini if they wanted him.

Its possible all these coaches, many of which are desperate to fill out rosters, are wrong but the more likely explanation at this point is he just isn't viewed as good enough...

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

Since Pickett signs a financial agreement he still has time or could go the JUCO route to find better offers in 2018.

In hindsight it appears he should have stayed with Illinois.

I bet his scholarship got pulled by the coach, or he was told that he would be better off leaving as his scholarship was only 1 year.  That actually happens a lot, from what I understand.