Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

14 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Johnson and Roby played with Hines Agbeko and an injured Crawford and better players around them will make a big difference.

Roby averaged double digit points and Johnson improved all season and is only a freshman.  At the end of the season Johnson rebounded well and shot well and helped win some conference games.  The book on Bishop is incomplete but I think most SLU fans liked what we saw in his freshman year and has room to grow.

Roby definitely improved as a scorer last year, and I agree that Johnson made a lot of progress. I just don't think that they're better than Bess/Henriquez/Goodwin. The context of my reply was talking about who would get more PT, and if it turns out that Roby and Johnson (and Bishop) are leading the way, then we probably aren't an NCAA team.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1st year of Jett, Evans and McCall didn't look so hot until Mitchell rejoined the team the following year. The guys who are returning will all benefit by being surrounded by better talent. For example, in the beginning of this past season, I can't count how many times Bishop would drive and dish to an open Crawford, only to have those shots clank. Now a drive and dish to a player like Henriquez figures to end in a better result more often. And due to lack of depth/talent, most nights Roby was counted on to guard the other team's top scoring threat AND be our best scorer. He did an admirable job under tough circumstances, but now he'll be in a role he is better suited for.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Career NCAA 3pt%

Foreman - 40.0% (6/15)

Henriquez - 37.7% (114/302)

Welmer - 37.1% (33/89)

Roby - 37.0% (110/297)

Johnson - 36.5% (35/96)

Graves - 36.4% (12/33)

Bishop - 33.8% (44/130)

Bess - 18.2% (2/11)

Anthony - 0% (0/0)

I'd agree w SShoe.  I think having 5 shooters above 35% (not counting Foreman for lack of attempts) compares favorably or beats any team in SLU history.

If we're still talking about needing a shooter potentially, man, it would've been nice if Bartley just stuck around.  He'd be a senior next year and if that due was on he was money (3rd all time in SLU career 3pt % at 41.5%.

Our 3pt shooting shooting should be enhanced with the presence of an inside game. It will be nice to know that our opponents will be forced to double team our inside players, something which didn't happen much recently. The additional space and time is the best help for an outside game. 

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Career NCAA 3pt%

Foreman - 40.0% (6/15)

Welmer - 37.1% (33/89)

Roby - 37.0% (110/297)

Johnson - 36.5% (35/96)

Graves - 36.4% (12/33)

Bishop - 33.8% (44/130)

Bess - 18.2% (2/11)

Anthony - 0% (0/0)

I'd agree w SShoe.  I think having 5 shooters above 35% (not counting Foreman for lack of attempts) compares favorably or beats any team in SLU history.

If we're still talking about needing a shooter potentially, man, it would've been nice if Bartley just stuck around.  He'd be a senior next year and if that due was on he was money (3rd all time in SLU career 3pt % at 41.5%.

19 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Career NCAA 3pt%

Foreman - 40.0% (6/15)

Welmer - 37.1% (33/89)

Roby - 37.0% (110/297)

Johnson - 36.5% (35/96)

Graves - 36.4% (12/33)

Bishop - 33.8% (44/130)

Bess - 18.2% (2/11)

Anthony - 0% (0/0)

I probably quote as many stats as anyone else on this board.  I also read a great book, decades ago, "How to Lie with Statistics".  It is a fun read if you can still find it.

Here is the rub.  Graves is a 90% unknown player to the SLU faithful.  He played 11 games for a poor BC team, and had two good games, 9 so-so games...according to his stats.  He took 33 three pointers.  If he makes one more than the 12 he netted, his average is a 'team leading' 39%.  If he misses one more, he trails the primary pack at 33% and doesn't make the 35% qualifier. Sample size is pretty small.

I hope Graves brings us visions of H Waldmann.  He'll basically be an untested freshman coming off the bench in second semester, behind the curve that the rest of the team is on.  Anything he shows his first season will be a positive. Coach described Graves as a shooting guard who can handle the ball.  We really don't even know what his roll will be.  So to anoint him with X minutes, or the at Y position taking minutes away from Player Z is unfair on Mr. Graves.

I too wish that Bartley had stuck around.

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

About time people start seeing this point of view - ever since we got Larry Hughes and he went #6 I think after his freshman year I came around to the idea that if you are good they will find you.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

About time people start seeing this point of view - ever since we got Larry Hughes and he went #6 I think after his freshman year I came around to the idea that if you are good they will find you.

The article is a point I've made about Tatum. If he would have been at SLU last year, I think he winds up as the #1 pick in the draft. Playing at a Duke, UK, KU, etc. presents an interesting few problems for players. The first is obvious - you are playing with 10 other McDonalds AA types and fighting for PT. You aren't the star of that show. But it also gives them a huge level of exposure. That is good, until it isn't. People start picking apart your game, finding flaws that they might not see before. 

Of course Tatum will still be a top 10 pick, but playing for Coach K did not help his draft stock in any way. If anything, it hurt it. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I probably quote as many stats as anyone else on this board.  I also read a great book, decades ago, "How to Lie with Statistics".  It is a fun read if you can still find it.

Here is the rub.  Graves is a 90% unknown player to the SLU faithful.  He played 11 games for a poor BC team, and had two good games, 9 so-so games...according to his stats.  He took 33 three pointers.  If he makes one more than the 12 he netted, his average is a 'team leading' 39%.  If he misses one more, he trails the primary pack at 33% and doesn't make the 35% qualifier. Sample size is pretty small.

I hope Graves brings us visions of H Waldmann.  He'll basically be an untested freshman coming off the bench in second semester, behind the curve that the rest of the team is on.  Anything he shows his first season will be a positive. Coach described Graves as a shooting guard who can handle the ball.  We really don't even know what his roll will be.  So to anoint him with X minutes, or the at Y position taking minutes away from Player Z is unfair on Mr. Graves.

I too wish that Bartley had stuck around.

I did see a little bit of Graves play during the open practice last year. He is small, very fast, appeared to be a very good ball handler, and shot well. This was a practice but he was a very noticeable player whenever he got the ball. I know this means next to nothing but it is the best I can contribute.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I did see a little bit of Graves play during the open practice last year. He is small, very fast, appeared to be a very good ball handler, and shot well. This was a practice but he was a very noticeable player whenever he got the ball. I know this means next to nothing but it is the best I can contribute.

My observation of Graves was that he likely has the best handle, vertical, speed, and raw athleticism on the team. If he has any sense as to how to play the game, he will get lots of minutes. 

20 hours ago, ACE said:

The 1st year of Jett, Evans and McCall didn't look so hot until Mitchell rejoined the team the following year. The guys who are returning will all benefit by being surrounded by better talent. For example, in the beginning of this past season, I can't count how many times Bishop would drive and dish to an open Crawford, only to have those shots clank. Now a drive and dish to a player like Henriquez figures to end in a better result more often. And due to lack of depth/talent, most nights Roby was counted on to guard the other team's top scoring threat AND be our best scorer. He did an admirable job under tough circumstances, but now he'll be in a role he is better suited for.

With better scoring options around him, I suspect we'll see Bishop's TOs drop dramatically too.  

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

The article is a point I've made about Tatum. If he would have been at SLU last year, I think he winds up as the #1 pick in the draft. Playing at a Duke, UK, KU, etc. presents an interesting few problems for players. The first is obvious - you are playing with 10 other McDonalds AA types and fighting for PT. You aren't the star of that show. But it also gives them a huge level of exposure. That is good, until it isn't. People start picking apart your game, finding flaws that they might not see before. 

Of course Tatum will still be a top 10 pick, but playing for Coach K did not help his draft stock in any way. If anything, it hurt it. 

In line with your thinking, he seems to be moving back up the boards ever since the season ended. People are realizing that the crazy season at Duke didn't really make him look as good as he actually is.

22 hours ago, CBFan said:

Johnson and Roby played with Hines Agbeko and an injured Crawford and better players around them will make a big difference.

Roby averaged double digit points and Johnson improved all season and is only a freshman.  At the end of the season Johnson rebounded well and shot well and helped win some conference games.  The book on Bishop is incomplete but I think most SLU fans liked what we saw in his freshman year and has room to grow.

I agree that the two I think will be better with better guys around them are Roby and Johnson.  I expect that they will both get significant minutes and give us good production next year.  I predict a lot of three guard/two PF sets with Goodwin, Roby, Henriquez, Johnson, & French, especially against athletic opponents.

EDIT: Totally forgot about Bess.  Through him in with the five I mentioned.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree that the two I think will be better with better guys around them are Roby and Johnson.  I expect that they will both get significant minutes and give us good production next year.  I predict a lot of three guard/two PF sets with Goodwin, Roby, Henriquez, Johnson, & French, especially against athletic opponents.

I like that lineup you throw out at the end. Crazy length and athleticism, three dependable shooters, multiple ball-handlers - very nice.

19 minutes ago, Zink said:

That's my hope for him as well! Add Tatum to Bledsoe and Booker, and that's a downright scary set of scorers.

He better hope that the Kings don't ****** him at 5. Sacramento is where careers go to die. 

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Right now we have 13 scholarships used for next year, right?  No scholarship for Hines available?

We have one more available. Here is the roster...

1)Goodwin 2)French 3)Henriquez 4)Bess 5)Graves 6)Foreman 7)Roby 8)Bishop 9)Wellmer 10)Johnson 11)Anthony 12) Santos *red-shirting 13)OPEN

On 5/19/2017 at 11:49 AM, davidnark said:

My observation of Graves was that he likely has the best handle, vertical, speed, and raw athleticism on the team. If he has any sense as to how to play the game, he will get lots of minutes. 

Find footage of the great Mack Calvin and you'll have a preview of Graves. Saw Calvin play many games during his years in the ABA and Graves is his clone. When Calvin joined the NBA after the merger he was terrific until slowed by a knee injury. Graves can be that good if he has Calvin's bulldog mentality. Sources in the Greensboro area say he does.

ck Calvin`s name right away, did he play for the Carolina Cougars?    The old ABA was entertaining , but wasn`t it right at 40 years ago.  I feel old ..