Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

19 hours ago, Aquinas said:

If we don't sign another post player for this class and if Wilmer and Forman are not up to speed, we will be small but athletic and lack depth.   With French 6'7, Johnson 6'6 and Bell 6'5.  It would petty much be a 4 guard team with Goodwin or roby occasionally playing the 4.

2a4dcc97ada59ba93194083f41de2074_bigger. stu durando @studurando 23h23 hours ago

Timeline on Elliott Welmer's recovery from foot surgery is 6 months, which would have him returning late September/early October.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

2a4dcc97ada59ba93194083f41de2074_bigger. stu durando @studurando 23h23 hours ago

Timeline on Elliott Welmer's recovery from foot surgery is 6 months, which would have him returning late September/early October.

Yes, I read that and all he is giving is the normal standard recuperation time. Every case is different. Welmer may be ready to go earlier than that or later, it all depends on how fast his body is capable of healing the injury after the surgery.

On 5/12/2017 at 3:49 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

going JUCO when you're a 4* is pretty humiliating, esp when you were on a P5 program

8 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

No it's not

Yes it is.  Pathetic, really.  Maybe not for him, but certainly for those around him who "know what's best".

2 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Yes it is.  Pathetic, really.  Maybe not for him, but certainly for those around him who "know what's best".

Thanks for the support Jimbo5. Also in regards to Welmer, the recovery is shorter than he originally thought it was which is great to hear

15 hours ago, jimbofive said:

If a player is academically ineligible to enter a four year university, one of his choices is to go JUCO to improve grades.  Maurice Scott has inferred that Mr. Tilmon may have some academic issues.  I wouldn't call it pathetic if JUCO is the avenue a player has to take to continue his education.

Other options if grades are the issue might be Prep School, or do as Anthony Jones did at SLU, enter school as an academically ineligible student-athlete, and obtain qualifying grades in your first year but lose a year of athletic eligibility in the process.  And now there is the overseas option, if the player is willing to spend a year abroad. 

Does Tilmon have acedmic issues or is that someone's wild guess?  Never saw a thing saying he has academic issues.  Heck, he has been a high D1 prospect since grade school.  You would think those "guiding" him would have made grades a top issue for years.

21 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Does Tilmon have acedmic issues or is that someone's wild guess?  Never saw a thing saying he has academic issues.  Heck, he has been a high D1 prospect since grade school.  You would think those "guiding" him would have made grades a top issue for years.

The ultimate insider Maurice Scott alluded to academic issues. He said Tillman needs to get to his selected university ASAP to get help from the academic resources at said U. You can interpret his comments as you wish. This was discussed in an interview with Frank C. 

51 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

You are right - great athletes never have grade issues since they are being guided to do well in school.  Really?

6 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

From what I have heard, Tilmon has an acceptable test score but with the sliding scale factor it won't be known if he is eligible until his grades are in at the end of this semester. 

3 hours ago, HenryB said:

From what I have heard, Tilmon has an acceptable test score but with the sliding scale factor it won't be known if he is legible until his grades are in at the end of this semester. 

If that's the case I'm sure his teachers at East St. Louis will make sure he gets the grades he needs. They won't want to be the ones holding him back from college.

23 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I said "you would hope"..........you are misreading my post.

Actually I don't think I am misreading it - you did not say "hope" but "think".  Now I may not have understood what you meant to say but that is a different thing.

Rashed Anthony - PF, 6-9, 240 - Orangeburg, SC (Seton Hall, NJ)

Offers: SLU, Richmond, George Mason, UMass, Memphis, East Carolina, Niagara, Long Island.

Latest News: Anthony is visiting SLU on 5/16. (5/15/17)

Scouting Report: Anthony is a grad transfer from Seton Hall, eligible to play immediately. He took a redshirt in 2013-2014, played 8.8 minutes per game as a redshirt freshman the following season, and his minutes declined from there. His stats are too limited to draw much useful information from. Out of high school, he was scouted as "a bouncy forward with a crazy wingspan" who could dominate with rebounding and shot blocking at the defensive end and help with an offensive spark at the other end. He also reportedly had offers from Oklahoma, K-State, and BC out of high school. He grew 1-2 inches in college and added about 30 lbs. to his frame.

There's no question we want a grad transfer big man for a one-year plug before doing some more work in the 2018 class. Anthony's lack of minutes at Seton Hall definitely raises some concerns, but he had the misfortune of starting his college career (after a redshirt season) the same time as Angel Delgado, who has been a monster for SHU for three seasons. The same class at Seton Hall has two other forwards, Ismael Sanogo and Desi Rodriguez, who round out the short 7-man rotation they use. So he's basically been stuck in Delgado's shadow, pushed to the end of the rotation by two other forwards with a more inside-out game, in a system that does not rely heavily on big men, coming off the bench for 4-10 minutes a game. He's a defensive player, primarily. Offensively, he's playing near the basket. I chalk up his lack of minutes to a combination of loaded class at his position, in particular one dominant big man in his way, and probably not the best fit.

There's potential for a useful role player here. Don't expect 15 and 8, but he can be a useful contributor immediately.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Rashed Anthony - PF, 6-9, 240 - Orangeburg, SC (Seton Hall, NJ)

There's potential for a useful role player here. Don't expect 15 and 8, but he can be a useful contributor immediately.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get some an absolute beast as a grad transfer who can dominate on offense and defense right away.  However, given the makeup of our roster next year, this guy does seem like a decent fit.  On paper we have enough offense at other positions to make up for any lacking from Anthony and really could use a big who can control the paint on D.

We're really thin inside this year.  Welmer - injured to start the year, Foreman - coming off an injury / sit-out year, and French - freshman all have question marks so more depth there is very much needed, but really only for next year.  In 2018-19, we'll potentially have the most front court depth of any Billiken team ever (healthy jr Welmer, healthy sr Foreman, soph French, jr Santos, fr Gordon).

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Tilmon to Mizzou.

To cap off a weird recruitment, a weird announcement. It looks like the first mention anywhere was from the official Mizzou MBB twitter account. Don't know if I've seen that before. 

21 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

To cap off a weird recruitment, a weird announcement. It looks like the first mention anywhere was from the official Mizzou MBB twitter account. Don't know if I've seen that before. 

Just strange.  

A question when it comes to Mizzou posting these commitments to their official twitter.  Tilmon, Harris, and Porter all signed a NLI at other schools.  You are allowed to only sign one of those a school year.  What has to happen to allow a program to officially comment on a recruit that can't sign a letter of intent?

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Just strange.  

A question when it comes to Mizzou posting these commitments to their official twitter.  Tilmon, Harris, and Porter all signed a NLOI at other schools.  You are allowed to only sign one of those a school year.  What has to happen to allow a program to officially comment on a recruit that can't sign a letter of intent?

Do you have a source for that? That is very interesting

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Just strange.  

A question when it comes to Mizzou posting these commitments to their official twitter.  Tilmon, Harris, and Porter all signed a NLI at other schools.  You are allowed to only sign one of those a school year.  What has to happen to allow a program to officially comment on a recruit that can't sign a letter of intent?

The signing of a financial-aid agreement?

If I sign an NLI and get a complete release, can I sign another NLI in the same signing year?

No. NLI policy states a prospective student-athlete is only permitted to sign one valid NLI in an academic year. Therefore, if you sign an NLI during the early period and get a complete release by the institution or one of the NLI committees before the spring signing period ends, you are not permitted to sign a second NLI in the spring. You must wait until the next academic year to sign another NLI if you have not enrolled already at a four-year institution.

http://www.nationalletter.org/frequentlyAskedQuestions/askingForARelease.html#

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Do you have a source for that? That is very interesting