Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

21 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

This seems like a major exaggeration. Dwight Howard has 2-3 inches and 40+ pounds on Bolden. If Bolden was anywhere good enough to be a top 10 pick in this year's draft he would've played for Duke.

http://247sports.com/player/marques-bolden-34793

I have him here at 6'11 250.  That said, I was exagerrating for effect. 

Either way, I still think he would have had a much better chance to show his potential if he went somewhere where he didnt have to sit behind Harry Giles, Tatum, Jefferson etc. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All these 6'9 240 lb McDonald's All-Americans going to sit on the bench at Duke just boggle my mind. They could go to a mid-major conference, put up big numbers, get drafted no worse than early 2nd round. Then they could get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to sit on the end of the bench instead of doing it at Duke for free.

53 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

http://247sports.com/player/marques-bolden-34793

I have him here at 6'11 250.  That said, I was exagerrating for effect. 

Either way, I still think he would have had a much better chance to show his potential if he went somewhere where he didnt have to sit behind Harry Giles, Tatum, Jefferson etc. 

I generally agree with you. The main issue is that all of these kids believe they will be good enough to get minutes for Duke, Kentucky, etc. 

1 hour ago, For-DaLove said:

I generally agree with you. The main issue is that all of these kids believe they will be good enough to get minutes for Duke, Kentucky, etc. 

Dont forget their AAU coaches and handler types that want to say they've sent a kid to those schools as well. And their friends who are starstruck when Coach K and Cal show up for games or practice.

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

Dont forget their AAU coaches and handler types that want to say they've sent a kid to those schools as well. And their friends who are starstruck when Coach K and Cal show up for games or practice.

+ 1 

Makes me think of that a-hole assistant from SWIC back in the day who always thought his players were too good for SLU. You're still a lifer assistant at a juco.... loser! A lot of these tools are more interested in padding their resumes than what might be best for the kid.

I'll admit that I don't pay much attention to the NBA these days, but  whenever I did occasionally watch it there would be American players that I'd never heard of during their college days. Guys like Rodman, Malone, Pippen didn't play for Duke, KY, or UNC, yet were stars in the NBA. Even today on the rare occasion when I catch part of a game, I hear names that weren't household names from watching a fair amount of college ball. Take Willie Reed for example. I'll wager there aren't many casual NBA fans who know he attended SLU.   Sure the Dukes, UK's, UNC's, et al will facilitate you being scouted, but only if you get the playing time to demonstrate you have skills that translate into what the NBA requires. Point being, NBA scouts know what it takes to play in the NBA and don't care if those skills and talents are found in a guy who plays for Podunk U in Backhills, ND. That's why it's always a mystery to me why a highly rated kid say, in the 25 to 100 ranking, will opt to take a Duke or UK offer and run the risk of being practice fodder for 4 years or seeking a transfer after a year or two of being recruited over. Yeah, it would be nice to have a good shot at winning an NCAA championship ring, but I'd prefer actually playing for a lesser team than being a pine riding cheerleader.

slu72, agree with you and how did that championship ring thing work out for J Tatum?  Not saying he made a mistake, just that going to a Duke/NC or KY doesn't mean you are going to have your name on a championship banner hanging in the arena of one of those schools.

the one thing playing at the dukes or UNC or Kentucky guarantees is the national spotlight.   I would guess tatum's last two weeks of the season moved up a couple of notches and made him millions.  it resolved the question marks that might have been lurking in nba minds.   that said, did going to duke cost harry giles the opposite? 

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the one thing playing at the dukes or UNC or Kentucky guarantees is the national spotlight.   I would guess tatum's last two weeks of the season moved up a couple of notches and made him millions.  it resolved the question marks that might have been lurking in nba minds.   that said, did going to duke cost harry giles the opposite? 

More likely Harry Giles two surgically repaired knees have caused some angst w/ NBA teams. The fact that Coach K went to a 6 man rotation, though, should cause the rest of his 4 and 5 stars riding the pine to have second thoughts about seeking their fortunes in Durham. The reason for there being something like 700 players changing schools every year is mostly due to kids seeking better playing time opportunities. Not the only reason for sure, but I'd wager it's the primary reason. Take Zeke Moore for example. He got his chance at lots of minutes for a FR, but he knew Travis had recruited over him and his court time would likely be trimmed. I actually thought he did ok for a FR and would provide some solid bench support going forward. That's not what he wanted obviously, and you can't fault him for it.

Tatum could have gone to any halfway decent P5 team, averaged 18 ppg, led them to the NCAA tournament and still made the NCAA tournament. He was trying to paint the picture perfect story. High school champion, NCAA champion. Didn't happen.

Giles got hurt before the season and never got right physically. He was not going to put up big stats this year even if he played at a middling P5 team. But at least he could have put up respectable numbers. I feel like his entering the draft while not showing anything in college is an act of desperation. There's a chance an NBA team could take him in the first round based on his rep before the injury. But if he were to return to Duke and have another disappointing season, he would fall out of the first round altogether.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tatum could have gone to any halfway decent P5 team, averaged 18 ppg, led them to the NCAA tournament and still gone in the NBA Draft 1st rd. He was trying to paint the picture perfect story. High school champion, NCAA champion. Didn't happen.

I'm guessing this is along the lines of what you meant to type.

Every hoops guru had Duke winning it all this year w/ the loaded FR class they had on campus. Am sure Tatum felt the same. Injuries,  dissent, and the learning curve all came into play and destroyed the Dukies. Still, come draft time I don't think young Mr. Tatum will have any regrets how things turned out for him. Time and truckloads of cash heals all wounds.

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Every hoops guru had Duke winning it all this year w/ the loaded FR class they had on campus. Am sure Tatum felt the same. Injuries,  dissent, and the learning curve all came into play and destroyed the Dukies. Still, come draft time I don't think young Mr. Tatum will have any regrets how things turned out for him. Time and truckloads of cash heals all wounds.

Harry Giles had a lot to do with that. No doubt they would have been the clear favorites had harry been 100%

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tatum could have gone to any halfway decent P5 team, averaged 18 ppg, led them to the NCAA tournament and still made the NCAA tournament. He was trying to paint the picture perfect story. High school champion, NCAA champion. Didn't happen.

Giles got hurt before the season and never got right physically. He was not going to put up big stats this year even if he played at a middling P5 team. But at least he could have put up respectable numbers. I feel like his entering the draft while not showing anything in college is an act of desperation. There's a chance an NBA team could take him in the first round based on his rep before the injury. But if he were to return to Duke and have another disappointing season, he would fall out of the first round altogether.

tatum was a first round pick no matter what assuming no disabling injury.   however he probably cemented a top 5 pick the way he played in the acc tourney and the beginning of the ncaa tourney imo. 

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Wow this is great news.  I hope we don't lose him as a GT. 

He's had some interesting tweets recently.  One in particular that expressed displeasure with "Saint Louis".  Not sure if he meant the city or school.  Nor am I really going to try to read too much into twitter, but it did catch my eye nonetheless.  

7 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

He's had some interesting tweets recently.  One in particular that expressed displeasure with "Saint Louis".  Not sure if he meant the city or school.  Nor am I really going to try to read too much into twitter, but it did catch my eye nonetheless.  

Odd. at the same time tho no one was more pumped about getting Coach ford, those transfers, and Goodwin. 

9 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

We also were in the midst of a Noah's Ark level storm