Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Agreed, David, especially about the 3 point shot and add to that the quickness some of these guards have is amazing. Still, talented big men ala Jabbar, Walton, and, most recently, Davis gives a team a real advantage. First, it makes a good guard who can dish look better via assists or scoring points off the dribble drive because the big's being doubled. The 3's the biggest advantage and made good guards a must. I'll always believe we could have done something special had Willie stuck it out, but Kwamain was still the key guy on those teams. With Willie we had a strong inside presence, two bigs that could pop from the outside and help inside, plus the Conk, and a team that played hellacious defense, and an outstanding PG.  You can't ask for more than that from any team.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earl Austin on with Frank C this AM.  When asked to give his best guess, Earl said Pickett to SLU.  He has no idea on Smith, whose HS Coach apparently doesn't know either.  Smith's dad texted Frank C last night and listed 9 schools still under consideration.  Seems to me this high schooler is milking this for all it is worth.  Earl guessed he would end up at Illinois with Michigan State as a possibility.

Frank had Earl on his show today. He discussed SLU recruiting some and provided scouting reports on Goodwin, Gordon and Pickett. Frank asked him to predict where Pickett would end up and Earl picked SLU. Sounded like it was just a guess though.

http://insidestl.com/the-press-box-seg-4-earl-austin-talks-local-recruits-favorite-bob-ramsey-moment/1996869

EDIT: Hoosier beat me by a few seconds on this one.

3 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank had Earl on his show today. He discussed SLU recruiting some and provided scouting reports on Goodwin, Gordon and Pickett. Frank asked him to predict where Pickett would end up and Earl picked SLU. Sounded like it was just a guess though.

http://insidestl.com/the-press-box-seg-4-earl-austin-talks-local-recruits-favorite-bob-ramsey-moment/1996869

EDIT: Hoosier beat me by a few seconds on this one.

Like about 30 seconds.  Don't you hate it when that happens. But hey, you get half credit!

Thank you hoosierpal and sluradio for the updates.  It has been really quiet about Pickett and other SLU offers.

Hey guys just your friendly neighborhood Glorydays here. Pickett is still very high in the running for SLU, not sure what the delay is. Smith is up in the air but I believe it will be Michigan St unless somehow Illinois really pulled him. I think he is going to choose Michigan St. over Illinois because there is much more certainty with Izzo than Underwood and a new Illinois program. What I heard from people close, is that it is Michigan St and playing with Bridges is a huge upside to his choice to go there, but Illinois and their fanbase have been hounding him. And yes he is taking in all the attention he can, he originally wanted it on ESPN or some other major network.

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Hey guys just your friendly neighborhood Glorydays here. Pickett is still very high in the running for SLU, not sure what the delay is. Smith is up in the air but I believe it will be Michigan St unless somehow Illinois really pulled him. I think he is going to choose Michigan St. over Illinois because there is much more certainty with Izzo than Underwood and a new Illinois program. What I heard from people close, is that it is Michigan St and playing with Bridges is a huge upside to his choice to go there, but Illinois and their fanbase have been hounding him. And yes he is taking in all the attention he can, he originally wanted it on ESPN or some other major network.

If he really did want more attention then he timed it poorly.  Frank said they won't be sending anybody and I would guess that means the same for all other stations in St. Louis because of the Blues game.  

2 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

If he really did want more attention then he timed it poorly.  Frank said they won't be sending anybody and I would guess that means the same for all other stations in St. Louis because of the Blues game.  

Blues is 8 and his announcement is 6 I believe

19 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

He is choosing Illinois.

4 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

He is choosing Illinois.

I've heard the same. Never having seen him play I'm certainly no expert but I have to think this is the right decision for him. Spring signees that pick the highest rated school (Duke, UK, MSU, etc.) are often setting themselves up for bench time and being recruited over. Illinois feels like the right level for Smith.

59 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I've heard the same. Never having seen him play I'm certainly no expert but I have to think this is the right decision for him. Spring signees that pick the highest rated school (Duke, UK, MSU, etc.) are often setting themselves up for bench time and being recruited over. Illinois feels like the right level for Smith.

All signs seem to be pointing to Illinois and I agree that it seems like the best fit for him.

2 hours ago, Billboy1 said:

What's the delay with Pickett?

Based on what I have heard Frank C say the past few days, it sounds like Pickett and those around him may have some concern with his role at SLU with the number of wings we have on the roster.

18 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Based on what I have heard Frank C say that past few days, it sounds like Pickett and those around him may have some concern with his role at SLU with the number of wings we have on the roster.

So basically what 3* said a month ago. Haha

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Based on what I have heard Frank C say the past few days, it sounds like Pickett and those around him may have some concern with his role at SLU with the number of wings we have on the roster.

So he doesn't think he is good enough to earn playing time?

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Concern about playing time isn't unreasonable.  We're arguably as talented as the Illini at the 2 and 3.

i agree with 3 star.   if this rumor is true, i am proud of ford for being honest with him.    how many greedy coaches would just promise away unconcerned.    i have seen pickett a lot.   and i think pickett is a fantastic D1 prospect.  the billiken fandom would love him.  

the problem is i think that goodwin, henriquez, bess, and graves are all better.  if you are starting the season that far down the depth chart, that is a tough hill to climb.   i'd love to have the depth.   be nice if pickett redshirted to put himself in a good spot to be bess or henriquez replacement, but who knows who else ford has on the hook for 2018 or beyond.   ford should move on if it's true.   

22 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!