Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

To get a slight idea, D.J. Foreman averaged 7.9 ppg while playing 26.2 minutes a game his sophomore year. 

Foreman shot far worse % than Santos, 48% to 55%, and 56% Ft to 72%.  Foreman averaged 6.0 rpg, v 4.1 rpg.  Foreman played in the Big 10, Santos in the AAC.  Hard to draw any conclusion on comparing the two.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Foreman shot far worse % than Santos, 48% to 55%, and 56% Ft to 72%.  Foreman averaged 6.0 rpg, v 4.1 rpg.  Foreman played in the Big 10, Santos in the AAC.  Hard to draw any conclusion on comparing the two.

Same size and same position. Also what was meant by that is a lot of people were happy about Foreman and ??? about this new guy.    

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not saying I think it will, but hopefully this doesnt give Gordon the wrong impression 

It won't this is a depth guy.  I think the natural fours will see a lot of time at the 5 over the next couple of years.  We are going to need numbers.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Nope Chosenone, you assumed Pickett would choose Kansas because, if you had been in Pickett's shoes, that would have been your choice. However, let's wait to get a signed LOI to see what really happens.

Nebraska finally has the makings of a good backcourt.  Only took 20 years.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Same size and same position. Also what was meant by that is a lot of people were happy about Foreman and ??? about this new guy.    

I think with Foreman, we were excited for ANYONE to come aboard. Now that we've seen the high-end of Ford's recruiting powers, some may be worried about guys not being "good enough", limiting the number of available scholarships etc. 

As always, Ford is a wizard 

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

I think with Foreman, we were excited for ANYONE to come aboard. Now that we've seen the high-end of Ford's recruiting powers, some may be worried about guys not being "good enough", limiting the number of available scholarships etc. 

As always, Ford is a wizard 

Agree 100%.  If Foreman can replicate Reggie's numbers, I will be pleased.

Recruiting over what you have is the only way to improve.  Fill up the scholarship boat, because there WILL be transfers after next season.

43 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

According to the USF website...

PRIOR TO USF: Rated a four-star recruit by ESPN.com… Rated a four-star prospect and the No. 18 power forward in the country by 247Sports.com… Competed at Sunrise Christian High School in Wichita, Kan., during the 2014-15 season…  As a native of Bronx, N.Y., attended St. Raymond High School and averaged 11.1 points and 5.6 rebounds in 14 games during the 2012-13 season.

Same prep school, same year as Neufeld.  I wonder what happened to his 13/14 year?  12/13 in HS, 14/15 at Sunrise?

Santos is likely the same age as Welmer, and will be in Welmer's classification as a junior in 18/19.  Where are those posters who claim Welmer is too old to improve?  You now have another whipping boy.

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We're going to have a 13 man roster with 12 guys being at least a 3 star.  Incredible.  This is a high major roster in a mid-major conference. Just being a 3 star doesn't mean you'll make it off the bench.  Practice is going to be a dogfight.

That's ridiculous. On paper, the 2018-2019 team will probably be the most talented team in SLU history. Hopefully that's what the on-court results show us as well.

33 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

And wtf is going on at USF? Per that espn article, they have 6 transfers out.  Maybe Santos is a good player who was in a really bad situation at USF. 

After the former coach Antiqua left and went to Illinois, there were rumblings about some violations coming down. I believe Brian Gregory went there and who wouldn't want to play for that guy. 

I'm normally jacked up after recruits commit, but this one has me scratching my head a little.  I confess, I have not SEENTHEKIDPLAY, but Santos' stats are mediocre for a bad team. He doesn't help us this year and will just be taking a scholly from a potential freshman or someone in 2018.  It's also a little concerning in regards to a few existing players/recruits.

One, he appears to be a similar player as Foreman.  Is there ongoing concern about Foreman's long-term health. The same can be asked about Welmer.  Given his health problems, is there a chance he may not be here long-term.  I hope not because I think he offers something different - a good shooting big.

Last, and probably the biggest leap, does this raise any concern about Gordon's commitment? Is the staff hedging their bets a little to make sure they have another inside player if Gordon decommits?

9 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I'm normally jacked up after recruits commit, but this one has me scratching my head a little.  I confess, I have not SEENTHEKIDPLAY, but Santos' stats are mediocre for a bad team. He doesn't help us this year and will just be taking a scholly from a potential freshman or someone in 2018.  It's also a little concerning in regards to a few existing players/recruits.

One, he appears to be a similar player as Foreman.  Is there ongoing concern about Foreman's long-term health. The same can be asked about Welmer.  Given his health problems, is there a chance he may not be here long-term.  I hope not because I think he offers something different - a good shooting big.

Last, and probably the biggest leap, does this raise any concern about Gordon's commitment? Is the staff hedging their bets a little to make sure they have another inside player if Gordon decommits?

Take solace in knowing that just a little over a year ago you would have felt completely excited about this pickup.  He will be fine and is a good get.  Is he better than Gillman?  Yes.

7 minutes ago, Macallan 18 said:

We need bench / role players and that is what Santos Luis is.  Nothing to get too excited about but good to have.  He is not nearly good enough to be a hedge for Gordon.  Gordon's The Man and knows he has nothing to worry about.  

So you saw his games at USF?  A big Bull's fan?  Already relegated him to the bench.  Hilarious.

Here is my stance.  Don't get excited about Santos, or Foreman, or Henriquez, or Bess or Graves or French or Goodwin until you see them play at least a couple of college games in a Billiken uniform.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So you saw his games at USF?  A big Bull's fan?  Already relegated him to the bench.  Hilarious.

Here is my stance.  Don't get excited about Santos, or Foreman, or Henriquez, or Bess or Graves or French or Goodwin until you see them play at least a couple of college games in a Billiken uniform.

agree.... but French is gonna be so good. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Take solace in knowing that just a little over a year ago you would have felt completely excited about this pickup.  He will be fine and is a good get.  Is he better than Gillman?  Yes.

Except in my mind, Gillman's scholly was already called for by Gordon. Unless you were getting a senior transfer eligible immediately, AG's leaving didn't mean much.  Theoretically, Santos' scholarship is coming from Neufeld's departure, so that's obviously an upgrade, but I still would've preferred a four-year player with that one. I realize I'm nit-picking, but our fortunes have changed enough in the last year that I feel we can afford to be picky. Who knows, he may end up being All A-10.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Guys who don't start come off the bench.  He won't be playing for a year so who knows what will happen between now and then?  But for today, based on his mediocre numbers on a crappy team I don't see him as a starter.  Since you apparently are a big SF Bulls fan, have seen all his games and have him penciled in as an all of a sudden big time starter please enlighten us further.  Hilarious...