Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading all this back and forth on Pickett being concerned (or not) about being able to get minutes at SLU, made me stop and realize how far this program has come since the Ford hiring.  The last few (Crews) years would have welcomed JP into the Billiken starting lineup and 33+ minutes per game.  How things have changed!

47 minutes ago, ACE said:

I hear this come up every once in a while... what is the point of signing with an "adidas school" or "Nike school"? That just seems strange that would be a big factor.

43 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

If it really is a material consideration, then I imagine there is money involved somewhere along the way.  Maybe not directly to the player, but it's somewhere in the mix (e.g. Through the AAU team, prospect of future endorsement deals, etc.).

26 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'm generally in the same boat. I'd heard of it, but didn't have an example of it happening. Then, I saw the Thomas Allen interview. My guess is the shoe company sponsors the AAU programs, gets the coaches on board, who then influence the kids. It could be a matter of simple brainwashing. Some kids follow and some kids don't.

It absolutely matters. The first thing to look at is which major brand sponsors a kid's AAU team. Then when you look at his school list, you'll probably see a lean in terms of Nike or Adidas (or, to a lesser but growing extent, Under Armour). Then when he finally makes a choice, it's usually going to line up with his AAU program. This isn't a coincidence. This also only matters for a certain tier of recruits, but still. It's a big deal.

Let's take Thomas Allen, who as mentioned today just picked Nebraska. He played for Garner Road on the AAU circuit. Garner Road is sponsored by Adidas, and wears only Adidas stuff. Allen, who had quite a load of offers in the fall, chose to stay with the local program, NC State - an Adidas school. When the coach was fired and he wanted to look elsewhere, he landed at Nebraska - another Adidas school.

Ramey-Jets United, coached by Terrell Ramey and led by Courtney Ramey, is another Adidas program. Courtney had no shortage of offers, but when Louisville - an Adidas school - came in with an offer, that was it (especially if Kansas or UCLA or Indiana weren't coming through with an offer).

Now, what are the financial considerations in getting amateur HS athletes to amateur college programs with the correctly branded deal in place? That's a little trickier to answer. I'll just reiterate that it's not a coincidence.

9 minutes ago, bauman said:

Reading all this back and forth on Pickett being concerned (or not) about being able to get minutes at SLU, made me stop and realize how far this program has come since the Ford hiring.  The last few (Crews) years would have welcomed JP into the Billiken starting lineup and 33+ minutes per game.  How things have changed!

Good point

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It absolutely matters. The first thing to look at is which major brand sponsors a kid's AAU team. Then when you look at his school list, you'll probably see a lean in terms of Nike or Adidas (or, to a lesser but growing extent, Under Armour). Then when he finally makes a choice, it's usually going to line up with his AAU program. This isn't a coincidence. This also only matters for a certain tier of recruits, but still. It's a big deal.

Let's take Thomas Allen, who as mentioned today just picked Nebraska. He played for Garner Road on the AAU circuit. Garner Road is sponsored by Adidas, and wears only Adidas stuff. Allen, who had quite a load of offers in the fall, chose to stay with the local program, NC State - an Adidas school. When the coach was fired and he wanted to look elsewhere, he landed at Nebraska - another Adidas school.

Ramey-Jets United, coached by Terrell Ramey and led by Courtney Ramey, is another Adidas program. Courtney had no shortage of offers, but when Louisville - an Adidas school - came in with an offer, that was it (especially if Kansas or UCLA or Indiana weren't coming through with an offer).

Now, what are the financial considerations in getting amateur HS athletes to amateur college programs with the correctly branded deal in place? That's a little trickier to answer. I'll just reiterate that it's not a coincidence.

That's my question... what is the financial incentive for the kid? I know it goes on, just not sure what the kid is getting out of it. In the case of Ramey, I understand why the dad would want to keep that relationship with a sponsor.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

In addition...if you are playing for a Nike or Adidas team you will be playing in either the Gauntlet (Adidas) or EYBL (Nike).  The coaches get more opportunities to see the kids during league play.  Not always the case (some get recruited by both) but those leagues give the coaches an advantage.

I listened to the Frank segment again:

Frank: This just in, SLU center Austin Gillmann the pride of Oakville high school has voluntarily withdrawn from the basketball program creating a third available scholarship for next season.

So can SLU go for both Pickett and Frankie Hughes?

Frank: I think so, or let me just say this, if I had to guess as I already predicted I think that Tilmon is going to be a Tiger, but I also know in the last three or four days that SLU has entered that picture.

And then he kind of went into some of the ties to SLU for Tilmon; he doesn't want to go very far away, family doesn't have the means to travel far to watch him play far from home, Tate has known Tilmon for a long time and even coached him with the Eagles.

Charlie Tuna: I think Tilmon may be leaning a little bit at SLU.

Listening to it again it came across as almost teasing SLU fans because they would say something about SLU and then say, but he will go to Mizzou. Not as positive for SLU as I originally thought and whoever asked the question directly after Frank made the Gillmann announcement was the one who kind of took Frank that way.

26 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I listened to the Frank segment again:

Frank: This just in, SLU center Austin Gillmann the pride of Oakville high school has voluntarily withdrawn from the basketball program creating a third available scholarship for next season.

So can SLU go for both Pickett and Frankie Hughes?

Frank: I think so, or let me just say this, if I had to guess as I already predicted I think that Tilmon is going to be a Tiger, but I also know in the last three or four days that SLU has entered that picture.

And then he kind of went into some of the ties to SLU for Tilmon; he doesn't want to go very far away, family doesn't have the means to travel far to watch him play far from home, Tate has known Tilmon for a long time and even coached him with the Eagles.

Charlie Tuna: I think Tilmon may be leaning a little bit at SLU.

Listening to it again it came across as almost teasing SLU fans because they would say something about SLU and then say, but he will go to Mizzou. Not as positive for SLU as I originally thought and whoever asked the question directly after Frank made the Gillmann announcement was the one who kind of took Frank that way.

Which segment is it? Seg 6 Victory Lap?

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

What do we know about this kid?

I posted this earlier

6-9" 260 lb.  2 years left, so redshirt next season

Team was 7-23 and last in American

17.1 minutes per game

6.2 ppg (6th on the team) 55% FG, 72% Ft, 0-2 from 3

4.1 rpg.

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Which segment is it? Seg 6 Victory Lap?

Beginning at the end of Segment 2 and then Segment 4 with Tuna. Like I said, listening to it again it was really guarded with regards to SLU which for some reason wasn't how I originally heard it. Anytime they would say something pro SLU it would be followed by essentially he will still end up at Mizzou.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

I posted this earlier

6-9" 260 lb.  2 years left, so redshirt next season

Team was 7-23 and last in American

17.1 minutes per game

6.2 ppg (6th on the team) 55% FG, 72% Ft, 0-2 from 3

4.1 rpg.

So why are some so excited about this guy? I (obviously) trust Ford and assume this guy can play, but sixth leading scorer on a team worse than we were last year...?

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

Beginning at the end of Segment 2 and then Segment 4 with Tuna. Like I said, listening to it again it was really guarded with regards to SLU which for some reason wasn't how I originally heard it. Anytime they would say something pro SLU is would be followed by essentially he will still end up at Mizzou.

I wish this answer wouldve come earlier because I just finished Seg 6. Who is the other cat that was with Frank and Tuna? That was brutal radio (Lavar Ball, white bball players vs black ones, ugh), and I usually really enjoy Frank's show.

According to the USF website...

PRIOR TO USF: Rated a four-star recruit by ESPN.com… Rated a four-star prospect and the No. 18 power forward in the country by 247Sports.com… Competed at Sunrise Christian High School in Wichita, Kan., during the 2014-15 season…  As a native of Bronx, N.Y., attended St. Raymond High School and averaged 11.1 points and 5.6 rebounds in 14 games during the 2012-13 season.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

17.1 minutes per game

6.2 ppg (

To get a slight idea, D.J. Foreman averaged 7.9 ppg while playing 26.2 minutes a game his sophomore year. 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

To get a slight idea, D.J. Foreman averaged 7.9 ppg while playing 26.2 minutes a game his sophomore year. 

My thoughts exactly. I apologize for asking this but can he play right away? EDIT: Just read he has to sit a year.