Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

27 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Athletic scholarships like academic scholarships, should be performance based.

A team scared to be kicked off the team after a year doesn't necessarily make the team better. I think Ford was trying to raise morale this year and let the post season do the harder stuff. I don't disagree with you though

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

A team scared to be kicked off the team after a year doesn't necessarily make the team better. I think Ford was trying to raise morale this year and let the post season do the harder stuff. I don't disagree with you though

The only guys who ever get kicked are guys who just plain do not belong at the level of ball they are trying to play. Crews recruits, basically.

The rest of them tend to settle down at another school and have a comfortable career and a degree in four years. They also get to play a lot, which players tend to like.

33 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

33 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

But maybe Pickett did not consider SLU until Goodwin committed.  Then at that point SLU needed a big, not a a shooting guard

So, assume bad performance before the season begins...,pretty shady. 

8 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

There is an average of 2.x transfers per school each year now. If a coach isn't constantly recruiting, he's not doing his job. If he's not offering scholarships with none to give, he's not putting his program in the best position to win. Is that what you want from your coach? 

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

But maybe Pickett did not consider SLU until Goodwin committed.  Then at that point SLU needed a big, not a a shooting guard

None of that makes any sense if you look at the timeline 

Pickett was offered by SLU in August 2015. Illinois offered two days earlier than SLU. He committed in January 2016. SLU was his ninth and final offer before he committed. The others were Missouri State, UIC, SIUE, Tennessee State, Loyola-Chicago, Drake, and Illinois State. A lot of Illinois fans are knocking him on the way out based on his offer list, but he committed so early, I don't think there's any question we would've seen more quality offers later had he kept it open. He had interest at the time from Xavier, Cincinnati, K-State, Vandy, and SIUC.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Pickett was offered by SLU in August 2015. Illinois offered two days earlier than SLU. He committed in January 2016. SLU was his ninth and final offer before he committed. The others were Missouri State, UIC, SIUE, Tennessee State, Loyola-Chicago, Drake, and Illinois State. A lot of Illinois fans are knocking him on the way out based on his offer list, but he committed so early, I don't think there's any question we would've seen more quality offers later had he kept it open. He had interest at the time from Xavier, Cincinnati, K-State, Vandy, and SIUC.

If anything to put in perspective for me at least, offer list doesn't mean anything. Just tell Illinois fans if thats the case, they don't need Mark Smith....

12 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

If anything to put in perspective for me at least, offer list doesn't mean anything. Just tell Illinois fans if thats the case, they don't need Mark Smith....

nobody cares about Mark Smith.

17 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Completely far from the truth. Good guy to reference from having almost no D1 offers to getting offered from Kentucky and MSU. Point being stocks rise and previous offers don't matter

He's actually not a very good guy to reference because he was committed to play baseball which caused schools to ignore him a bit for basketball.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Didn't Pickett visit over the summer the team was practicing for their Bahamas trip? I thought there was a picture of him watching practice alongside Larry Hughes.

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Didn't Pickett visit over the summer the team was practicing for their Bahamas trip? I thought there was a picture of him watching practice alongside Larry Hughes.

That's correct.  Page 22 of this thread is the start of it.

Here's some Pickett spin from the Champaign News-Gazette. The premise: Pickett's departure was mutual because he would've been a redshirt and the Illini need a more instant-impact talent upgrade. Given how many details are wrong or purely speculative, I'm not sure what's worth believing here.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Given the Illini already have top 150 swingmen who can't get off the bench, I don't think the redshirt talk is spin.

The spin is: "Well, we didn't want you, anyway."

20 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

It irks me that Dave Matter or notorious D-bag Gabe has been on the radio non stop for 2 weeks and the SLU/Valley beat writer is nowhere to be heard from. Does Matter cover the Ohio Valley as well? Where is Stu? 

The PD has never covered Billikens recruiting ever.  There will be a blurb when we sign someone but dont expect anything else.  

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Thank you for the information Pistol.

Classy of some Illinois fans knocking the kid because of the offers.

Do you think Mr. Pickett would be a good pick-up for SLU?

It seems to me that SLU's biggest need is the center position because of Elliot Welmer's broken foot.