Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

I would tell the AAU coach I would not discuss it as long as he has a valid LOI.  If the AAU coach continues I'd walk away.

I think it's amusing you are changing the context.  Initially it was just about ford initiating inquiries.    Now you are concocting crazy scenarios  to make your intentions incidental.    You've shown your stripes.  

I'm done with you.  Go back to your street hustling.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizzou throwing money around like crazy to people connected to recruits.  No way they go too far in their rush for a guick fix.  Stuff like that never happens at Mizzou.  The investigators are probably already making travel arrangements.

Just now, brianstl said:

Mizzou throwing money around like crazy to people connected to recruits.  No way they go too far in their rush for a guick fix.  Stuff like that never happens at Mizzou.  The investigators are probably already making travel arrangements.

Crazy part is they are currently under investigation anyway so investigator is probably there.  Pat Forde wrote they have APR issues so they can't clean house too.  

1 minute ago, Bills_06 said:

Crazy part is they are currently under investigation anyway so investigator is probably there.  Pat Forde wrote they have APR issues so they can't clean house too.  

Maybe throwing money at Walker is a sign that the Porters have found a higher bidder.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

No way they go far with a quick fix? Why? Karma?  

So if I understand the Tilmon situation correctly, he is reconsidering Missouri as well as staying at Illinois.  Wait, he can't talk to anyone at Mizzou until he gets a release from his LOI, right?  You don't suppose that Martin's people have been talking to Tilmon's people?  Heavens, I hope not. That would be a clear violation of NCAA rules.  I trust that uncle jack is on top of this situation and has the NCAA on speed dial.

I for one hope that SLU's people have been talking to Tilmon's camp.  

There have been at least 26 coaches fired or retired this month.  That could put another 100 players out into a possible open market.  I hope our staff has already a list of all the those incoming freshman to determine if there is a fit on one or two.

On Fri Mar 17 2017 at 7:16 PM, WestCoastBilliken said:

What STL Hoops said in this thread was not 'a joke' and was actually interesting, and personally I would like to hear more about how recruiting/contact etc work which he was talking about.  

Maybe you and Roy have a sore spot for STL, but I dont think he crossed a line and was not inaccurate or illegal, as confirmed by 3star (Who I have read enough from him that I trust his opinion and look for his posts.. I also look for Roy's posts too because I think what he has to say is also good info). 

My point is the board seems to gang up on certain insiders at some point in time because of something dumb and they are run off.  We all know which true insiders here never post or very rarely nowadays. Roy was one poster run off during the Majerus days... 

Anytime

2 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

+1....I like Roy, STL Hoops Insider and others but thank goodness Triangle left, knock on wood...

Triangle was the second best troll of all time.

Roy is Roy.  Roy would be better understood if the year was 1950.  I miss Roy's posts where he used "scum" in place of the first names for Calipari and Sutton.  scum sutton and scum calipari ......just cracked me up.......

Good interview on 590 with Ford this morning... Frank asked if he was expecting any open scholarships this spring, Ford didn't really answer it directly, but it seemed clear that he was prepared for some openings (no surprise there) because of how common transfers are throughout college bball. Said they "like where they are at" with the roster, but always looking to upgrade.

Was asked about the point guard position, Graves, Bishop and Goodwin... Ford said you need as many ball handlers on the floor as you can. Said Bishop is really going to take off, gonna be in a better position to score. Graves can shoot it and create. "They can all handle it, more guys that can shoot and handle it the better." Made the point that positions are not as well defined and labeled as they have been in the past... in other words, no problem with all of these guys co-existing and he expects them to get better. I think the idea of Goodwin being THE point guard has been way overblown on this board. He will be in multiple roles.

He was very complimentary of Johnson, Welmer and Roby. He expects Roby to be in even better after another year in his system.

Putting together a "competitive schedule" that will challenge the team early.

Gotta build chemistry, but winning 20 or more games is a realistic goal.

He referenced Pomeroy article suggested that we were the team most likely to NOT win a conference game, so 6 wins was a great accomplishment. He said in the last month and a half the chemistry of the team was so good, he felt like they had a good chance to win every game they played.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Was asked about the point guard position, Graves, Bishop and Goodwin... Ford said you need as many ball handlers on the floor as you can. Said Bishop is really going to take off, gonna be in a better position to score. Graves can shoot it and create. "They can all handle it, more guys that can shoot and handle it the better." Made the point that positions are not as well defined and labeled as they have been in the past... in other words, no problem with all of these guys co-existing and he expects them to get better. I think the idea of Goodwin being THE point guard has been way overblown on this board. He will be in multiple roles.

Thanks ACE.  End of discussion on PG. 

From this post, it appears that Bishop is returning.  That is good news.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Good interview on 590 with Ford this morning... Frank asked if he was expecting any open scholarships this spring, Ford didn't really answer it directly, but it seemed clear that he was prepared for some openings (no surprise there) because of how common transfers are throughout college bball. Said they "like where they are at" with the roster, but always looking to upgrade.

He was very complimentary of Johnson, Welmer and Roby. He expects Roby to be in even better after another year in his system.

Putting together a "competitive schedule" that will challenge the team early.

Gotta build chemistry, but winning 20 or more games is a realistic goal.

He referenced Pomeroy article suggested that we were the team most likely to NOT win a conference game, so 6 wins was a great accomplishment. He said in the last month and a half the chemistry of the team was so good, he felt like they had a good chance to win every game they played.

I understand what Ford is saying, but I think one of OSU fan's biggest complaints was that Ford couldn't construct a roster properly. Hopefully he is figuring it out. At this point I am not worried, as this club needed an infusion of talent. 

Thanks for the recap. 

13 minutes ago, slusam said:

Thanks for the info Ace. Did Ford say anything about French?

Did not mention French, but Frank didn't ask him either. Graves was the only transfer he talked about, but this is because he was asked about the point guard position.

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Triangle was the second best troll of all time.

Roy is Roy.  Roy would be better understood if the year was 1950.  I miss Roy's posts where he used "scum" in place of the first names for Calipari and Sutton.  scum sutton and scum calipari ......just cracked me up.......

I liked Too. Thought he was clever. Who was number 1 Courtside? 

So what to do with the two available scholarships?  I like what Ford said yesterday about the current roster and how to approach recruiting. There are several ways to go...

1) Land the best possible player you can regardless of position... with the coaching carousal there figures to be some pretty talented kids poised to become free agents. Could land one out of this pool, although competition will be tough as most teams have some available spots they are looking to fill. 

2) Find a grad transfer, the benefit is that it gives us another scholarship for the class of 2018. Preferably a big, having a little more support to help Foreman when he gets into foul trouble would help. A secondary need would be one more sharpshooter. With the loss of Moore, one more good shooter could fill a role.

3) A developmental big... reportedly Ford likes to redshirt some kids. A chance to stash a player. Could be a spot for a foreign kid or a player like the big African kid who committed to Pitt. A shotblocker/defender.

4) A high level transfer, currently a kid who just completed his freshman season. When eligible, this player would be in the class with French and Goodwin

5) Finally, at the risk of opening up this can of worms... if any of the above four options are NOT available, giving Hines a scholarship for one year is not a terrible idea. Not that I think he will contribute much in games, but could be a nice practice player, and more importantly, after he graduates it is one more scholarship that can be used for the class of `18. He would really be a placeholder for a year. REPEAT, I prefer the two spots  are filled by any of the ways listed above. 

BTW, Really nice article by Stu yesterday. I have been a critic in the past, but he has done a nice job covering recruiting and things that fans are interested in.