Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

14 hours ago, brianstl said:

Groce's will be $1.6 million when they fire him.  Counzo would have had to pay $1.1 million to leave Cal before he signed a two year extension in October.  I would assume that buyout went up with the extra two years. My guess we are looking at $3 million at least that the Illini would have to pay just to get the chance to pay Martin an additional $2 million plus in salary per season.

Wait - are you saying money is an issue in the decision process for IL? - that can not be since it simply won't be for Missouri.  

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/3/2017 at 3:33 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Nice congratulatory video from Lisch to Goodwin...

kevin lisch.  maybe the nicest cold-hearted basketball player ever.  proud he was a billiken.  wish we could have gotten him in the tourney once.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Wait - are you saying money is an issue in the decision process for IL? - that can not be since it simply won't be for Missouri.  

I don't think money will really be an issue. They paid an insane amount for Lovie.  It is just a lot of money to pay to make guy with Martin's resume your coach and I am saying that as someone that thinks Martin isnt a bad hire.

Groce's failed tenure has put the Illinois basketball program in a precarious position.  Fan apathy is starting to set in, Northwestern is on the ascent and Ford is a very real threat to their recruiting base in southern Illinois. The Illinois AD has to get the next hire right.  If that means $2.5 million a year for the basketball coach, they're just going to have to swallow that pill.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Chances of Andersen getting fired: 99%

Chances of Groce getting fired: 75%

Money is always a contributing factor but why you keep suggesting Andersen isn't gone is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Chances of Andersen getting fired: 99%

Chances of Groce getting fired: 75%

Money is always a contributing factor but why you keep suggesting Andersen isn't gone is beyond me.

Anderson just beat our dream head coaching candidate Bryce Drew (at least before Ford showed up and started recruiting like the dickens) by 20 yesterday. Give that man a contract extension!!

Groce is as good as done.  Change that number to 99%.  Money will not be an issue.  We paid something like 5 mil to get rid of Brucey.  A couple mil in buyouts is nothing compared to the loss in ticket sales they will see over the next few years of Groce is retained.  I would expect them to be offering a new coach somewhere in the 2.5 - 3.5 mil range.  Been hearing a lot of rumors about Martin and Monty Williams as the front runners

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Agreed. It would be great for SLU if Andersen sticks around another year...but it's not happening.

I see it happening because of the situation he was put into at Mizzou, and they are beginning to play more competitive now. Also are like 166 on KenPom which isn't bad. Would be nice if Mizzou and SLU could be good at the same time again

21 hours ago, brianstl said:

Groce's will be $1.6 million when they fire him.  Counzo would have had to pay $1.1 million to leave Cal before he signed a two year extension in October.  I would assume that buyout went up with the extra two years. My guess we are looking at $3 million at least that the Illini would have to pay just to get the chance to pay Martin an additional $2 million plus in salary per season.

Once again, the computer Gremlins are acting up - this is not meant to be a response to Brian.

Kshoe - I have never said Andersen will or will not be fired.  I simply shared a perspective from someone who is much closer to the situation then you or I.  I am glad you have finally come around to the idea that money is a factor - how large or small is dependent on the situation. 

On 8/15/2016 at 8:49 AM, Pistol said:

Warren-Hogue was definitely the main one I wanted to check in on.

Clearly Porter and Tilmon were studs out of the gate. Glad that Goodwin was someone we paid attention to as a freshman, back when he liked us the first time. Stockard was on our initial list, too, and remains a strangely quiet local major recruit. Crawford's a football prospect but could've gone the basketball route if he wanted (I think he has that Athlete of the Class award locked up already).

That 2017 SLUH class has been solid but not developed into the across-the-board level of talent some of us initially thought it could be. Alec Spence seems to have hit a ceiling, as well. Farris is just so short, although I think he'll end up D-I somewhere. Is the Valley the ceiling for Frederking? I hope he's not one of those guys who ends up in the Valley and scores 25 on SLU when we face his team.

I found Ryan Warren-Hogue.  He is going by just Ryan Warren now.  As Coach314 said he ended up at Northwest Academy.  He is putting up insane shooting numbers in the ten games that stats are available for him.  He is shooting 71% overall and 58% from 3 in those games.   He is averaging almost 22 points, 8 assists and over 5 steals in those games.  He had 25 points and 5 assists against Vashon.  He had 19 and 10 assists against Miller last night.  

I don't think we are recruiting him at all right now.  That said, I hear he is one of the funnest players to watch in the area on the high school level right now.  Short kid, quick, smooth shot, outstanding passer, really sees the floor well and is fearless. Here his a highlight video I found of some of his games this season.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/8797708/5886417723481b1da0bc7df7

I am going to try to catch this kid play before the season is over.

11 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Mark Smith picked up some big schools. Cal, Butler, Northwestern, Illinois, Nebraska, K-State. Unfortunately he does not want to go to SLU. I know we can absolutely turn around our image in the next year, Is 2019 going to be the big year for Recruiting? 

So top 10 recruits don't make the big year? (2018)

so two top 150 recruits don't make it the big year? (2017)

Asinine thing to say

17 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Mark Smith picked up some big schools. Cal, Butler, Northwestern, Illinois, Nebraska, K-State. Unfortunately he does not want to go to SLU. I know we can absolutely turn around our image in the next year, Is 2019 going to be the big year for Recruiting? 

Lol brah. Where you been? Ford has already secured the top class in the A10 for 2017 and two monsters for 2018. 2019 will another huge year, for sure. 

24 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

We already have a better recruiting class for 2017 than the exalted Marquette program and we have a big jump start on them when it comes to 2018.  

It seems like the image has already been turned around.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

We already have a better recruiting class for 2017 than the exalted Marquette program and we have a big jump start on them when it comes to 2018.  

It seems like the image has already been turned around.

Current recruiting rankings for 2018. 

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings