Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So oddly we just gave an offer today to a Nigerian Center named Peace Ilegomah as of 2/3/2017, yet he is verbally committed to Pittsburg 

Looking at the VC profile, this kid is going to need to put on some weight.

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So oddly we just gave an offer today to a Nigerian Center named Peace Ilegomah as of 2/3/2017, yet he is verbally committed to Pittsburg 

-if we get this kid I can too easily imagine Gus trying to be funny by saying "Peace Ilegomah Eggo" and hopefully the guy from 3 rows back would just finish the job at that point and put Gus out of commission

-perhaps the kid needs some waffles

That might just be lag time on Peace Ilegomah. It's possible we offered last week sometime, and he just committed to Pitt on Friday.

Edit: Confirmed. SLU offered on 2/2 and he committed to Pitt on 2/3. Just a wee bit too late on this one. Pitt didn't offer until 1/15.

Not sure where this would fall, but would there be room for Christian Williams on the roster if he transfers from Iowa?  His name has been floating around the Iowa boards as a possible transfer.

3 minutes ago, mechee89 said:

Not sure where this would fall, but would there be room for Christian Williams on the roster if he transfers from Iowa?  His name has been floating around the Iowa boards as a possible transfer.

-is he any good?  not from Marquette most likely equals not good enough for SLU

Just now, Cowboy said:

He's had his moments at Iowa, but next year there will be a logjam for playing time.  There are a few players that will likely transfer and I could see him being one of them.  Also, he did not redshirt.

I just looked up his stats.  6'5" G averaging about 13 minutes per game in 25 games, 2.4 ppg, 32% from the field, 18% from the arc, and 57% FT.  2.4 assists per game.  Conclusion from his stat line, he is in the rotation but he can't shoot.  2.4 assists per game in 13 minutes is pretty good.  I am afraid Soderballs would throw him under the bus.

11 minutes ago, mechee89 said:

My thoughts would be...hard pass. First, I think we thought we had a shot at him because he was friends with Marcus Bartley. Bartley's gone, so there goes that. Second, while I'd trust in Ford if he wants him, not too gung ho about bringing in a Jim Crews recruiting miss not named Jayson Tatum or Tyler Cook (and I know neither of them are transferring to SLU).

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Seriously? Man when you see Traci Carter play for La Salle next year I don't think you'll be talking smack. And we already have Ty Graves who is almost identical. I think maybe a pg for 2018. Also With the new rumors on Watson I won't be surprised. We could be leaning to a 3 guard rotation with players taking turns at point. Ty of course seems to be the main guy with Bishop though next year. Goodwin seems like the guy you want your go to pass to on a fast break, more than dishing the ball. My opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Illinois goes down to Penn State today and that is the nail in the groce coffin. Look for them to go hard after C. Martin. Will be interesting if Tilmon looks to go elsewhere after groce is fired. I would expect U of I to block SLU

I believe Notre Dame proved that schools have very little power to block a kid from going to a different school prior to starting their career.  See Eddie Vanderdoes.

32 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Illinois goes down to Penn State today and that is the nail in the groce coffin. Look for them to go hard after C. Martin. Will be interesting if Tilmon looks to go elsewhere after groce is fired. I would expect U of I to block SLU

If Illinois does get Martin, I would expect he could talk fellow East St. Louis native Tilmon to stay.

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

You can only block transfers, not students that have never attended your university.

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

Groce's will be $1.6 million when they fire him.  Counzo would have had to pay $1.1 million to leave Cal before he signed a two year extension in October.  I would assume that buyout went up with the extra two years. My guess we are looking at $3 million at least that the Illini would have to pay just to get the chance to pay Martin an additional $2 million plus in salary per season.

2 minutes ago, Ibruce said:

You can only block transfers, not students that have never attended your university.

Josh Fisher would disagree with you.  Once the player signs a NLOI schools can decide if they want to release tbe kid or not and which schools they will rease him to.

The kid can go to any other school if they are willing to pay their own way and sit a year.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Josh Fisher would disagree with you.  Once the player signs a NLOI schools can decide if they want to release tbe kid or not and which schools they will rease him to.

The kid can go to any other school if they are willing to pay their own way and sit a year.

That is in theory, but the NCAA gives a lot of exceptions to this rule.  I think a coach being fired would fit into that.

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If u have never attended the school and they release u from your LOI, they can't block u from going anywhere u choose. In this case, if the Illini release Tilmon, Illinois can't put any restrictions on him. 

45 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Fisher's situation had a lot to do with Romar coming to SLU from Pepperdine and in essence bringing Fisher with him.  Pepperdine took exception to that and made the block.

How programs control the process is they tell players they will realease them from their NLOI, but they want a list of programs the player is intrested in making contact with.  They review the list and decide which programs they will let the player talk to.  Only programs that the school approves of can make contact with the player.  If any school not on the approved list talks to the player they have committed a NCAA violation.  Once that player commits to a program on the approved list the original school actually releases the kid from his NLOI.

13 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

That is in theory, but the NCAA gives a lot of exceptions to this rule.  I think a coach being fired would fit into that.

If memory serves me Fisher left when Romar left voluntarily not from being fired.  This may be the key factor here - if a coach is fired then the kid is allowed to transfer but if the coach is still there or leaves on his own then maybe the kid can move on once receiving his release.  Just guessing here.