Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Imo losing Roby, Welmer, Bishop. JJ, and Moore would limit how good we'll be next year. I think they will all have roles and contribute. As Graves starts to play and gets acclimated it might affect Bishop's minutes. We don't know about Foreman's injury nor are we 100% sure Goodwin will be ready to begin the season.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Roby, Welmer, Bishop, JJ and Moore would be a pretty good 2nd five next year by SLU standards.  

the thing is though that ford has definitely shown an ability to upgrade the talent.   thus it doesn't scare me a bit if they all leave.   I will say, I do not want anyone to be chased away.   if they are satisfied with reduced practice roles and want a slu diploma we owe it to them to give them that opportunity.   it isn't their fault that crewsplatt promised them a slu college experience.   we don't owe them any playing time, but I believe unless they are bad teammates, bad citizens or bad students, they deserve to stay. 

6 players is tough, but if you all remember Dayton pretty much did that a few years back and had a remarkable season.   I believe the 6 new players and whatever is good enough to be at least above 500.  and if we indeed get a couple more right fit players 8 player rotation might be a post season contender roster.   but any existing player I don't want to see the floor for more than a couple of minutes per half.  I think that the six players coming in playing exhausted will out play our existing players so I don't want the existing players on the floor more than they have to be on the floor. 

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the thing is though that ford has definitely shown an ability to upgrade the talent.   thus it doesn't scare me a bit if they all leave.   I will say, I do not want anyone to be chased away.   if they are satisfied with reduced practice roles and want a slu diploma we owe it to them to give them that opportunity.   it isn't their fault that crewsplatt promised them a slu college experience.   we don't owe them any playing time, but I believe unless they are bad teammates, bad citizens or bad students, they deserve to stay. 

6 players is tough, but if you all remember Dayton pretty much did that a few years back and had a remarkable season.   I believe the 6 new players and whatever is good enough to be at least above 500.  and if we indeed get a couple more right fit players 8 player rotation might be a post season contender roster.   but any existing player I don't want to see the floor for more than a couple of minutes per half.  I think that the six players coming in playing exhausted will out play our existing players so I don't want the existing players on the floor more than they have to be on the floor. 

Agreed.

At least two will be gone by spring, that's a given...making room for recruit #s 7 and 8.

I added Chris Duarte to the 2017 offer list. I don't think this is a fresh offer, and I am having trouble verifying the offer outside of Verbal Commits, where it just popped up in the past day - saying that it dates from June 2016. Anyway, in the interest of completeness I will keep it there but I don't think it's a current offer, and it might not be a real one.

The most likely transfers are clearly Neufeld and Gilmann (who only helps you for a 2017 scholarship).  I wouldn't be surprised if all the others stay, nor would I be surprised if they left.  That being said, I'd like to see all of them stay.  I believe you can overdo the complete roster overhaul and some continuity is necessary.  Additionally, guys like Bishop, Roby, and Welmer could all play good solid roles next season, while I think JJ and Zeke have some upside.  If next year it looks like they can't compete, then they can leave as sophomores.

15 minutes ago, SShoe said:

while I think JJ and Zeke have some upside.  If next year it looks like they can't compete, then they can leave as sophomores.

They are just Freshmen who showed tremendous potential in their last year of HS. They aren't the type of freshmen who can turn a program around, but that can surely develop and contribute, They could be great bench players

54 minutes ago, SShoe said:

The most likely transfers are clearly Neufeld and Gilmann (who only helps you for a 2017 scholarship). 

I think the only way Gillmann leaves is if he graduates this spring or summer, or if Ford doesn't give him a choice. My understanding is he's at SLU for the education, so I doubt he'd leave voluntarily to go finish up his degree elsewhere. 

53 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I think the only way Gillmann leaves is if he graduates this spring or summer, or if Ford doesn't give him a choice. My understanding is he's at SLU for the education, so I doubt he'd leave voluntarily to go finish up his degree elsewhere. 

He could finish as a walk on if thats a possibility 

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I tend to agree. I think Gillman could leave if 1) he wants to and is already graduated or 2) Ford needs the scholarship for a 5th yr senior transfer. The fact is we need Gillman's scholly for the 2018 class so I don't think you'd want to use it for a transfer or freshman.

12 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I tend to agree. I think Gillman could leave if 1) he wants to and is already graduated or 2) Ford needs the scholarship for a 5th yr senior transfer. The fact is we need Gillman's scholly for the 2018 class so I don't think you'd want to use it for a transfer or freshman.

Assuming no one else leaves, here is how it currently stands for schollies in the 2018-19 season

Seniors: Henriquez, Foreman, Bess, Bishop, and Neufeld

Juniors: Graves, Moore, Johnson, and Welmer

Sophomores: Goodwin and French

Frosh: Gordon and Thatch

If you get additional transfers from the program, I see nothing wrong with holding an extra schollie next season to make sure you can get 3 or 4 in the 2018 class. 

2 hours ago, SShoe said:

The most likely transfers are clearly Neufeld and Gilmann (who only helps you for a 2017 scholarship).  I wouldn't be surprised if all the others stay, nor would I be surprised if they left.  That being said, I'd like to see all of them stay.  I believe you can overdo the complete roster overhaul and some continuity is necessary.  Additionally, guys like Bishop, Roby, and Welmer could all play good solid roles next season, while I think JJ and Zeke have some upside.  If next year it looks like they can't compete, then they can leave as sophomores.

You can bank both if you think you will be better off using them for 2018.  You can get by with 11 on the roste

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You can bank both if you think you will be better off using them for 2018.  You can get by with 11 on the roste

If your plan is to "bank" Gillman's scholly then you might as well keep him on board as he doesn't cost you anything. 

19 minutes ago, kshoe said:

If your plan is to "bank" Gillman's scholly then you might as well keep him on board as he doesn't cost you anything. 

The only reason Gillmann would be asked to leave, graduate early, etc., would be because you have a 2017 recruit you want in addition to other 2018 recruits.

3 minutes ago, SShoe said:

The only reason Gillmann would be asked to leave, graduate early, etc., would be because you have a 2017 recruit you want in addition to other 2018 recruits.

If you assume Nuefeld is gone, then for Gillman to be gone you need two more 2017 recruits.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

I was not talking about a specific player'schollie. I was only responding to what could be done with the schollies in general. However I see how you could have inferred about AG situation

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I was not talking about a specific player'schollie. I was only responding to what could be done with the schollies in general. However I see how you could have inferred about AG situation

I hear ya, but the point I'm trying to make is that there is no point in banking a scholarship and also not renewing AG. If you plan to bank one, might at well have a 7 footer on your bench instead.

7 hours ago, SShoe said:

Assuming no one else leaves, here is how it currently stands for schollies in the 2018-19 season

Seniors: Henriquez, Foreman, Bess, Bishop, and Neufeld

Juniors: Graves, Moore, Johnson, and Welmer

Sophomores: Goodwin and French

Frosh: Gordon and Thatch

If you get additional transfers from the program, I see nothing wrong with holding an extra schollie next season to make sure you can get 3 or 4 in the 2018 class. 

If we don't make the dance and hopefully finally make sweet 16 that season it will be a letdown.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:27 PM, HoosierPal said:

Among the roughly 250 nominees for 2017 McDonald All-American teams were both Goodwin and French.  Congratulations gentlemen.

Hell, almost everybody gets nominated.......many hundreds every year.  My son was, good player, but not D1 material.  But all-state in my small state.