Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I think we can easily make the argument to Mark Smith that he will get plenty of playing time here opposed to Illinois. Mizzou just gave him an offer today, still have no idea why we haven't offered

I may not trust Ford to coach a substandard team to win more than they ought to but I trust him to recruit the shiite out of everyone and everything......If we aren't offering we don't want.........

On Monday, January 02, 2017 at 9:30 PM, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

He seemed like a bit of a tweener early in his HS career. He was a bit bulkier in size last year when I saw him, this year he looked like he had slimmed down. He is a freak athlete. I think he would play the 2 at the college level. High motor guy that I think compares kinda similar to Goodwin in my opinion. He seems to be working on increasing his range which will help once he gets to this level.

Sikeston plays at Chaminade on Thursday

Is there a post-senior year ranking for recruits after their senior season, so maybe players that were really good junior year, but dropped significantly senior year have a ranking change so programs can better assess their new players? And what about for players like Smith that no one knew about but now everyone wants, would they get re ranked?

12 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Is there a post-senior year ranking for recruits after their senior season, so maybe players that were really good junior year, but dropped significantly senior year have a ranking change so programs can better assess their new players? And what about for players like Smith that no one knew about but now everyone wants, would they get re ranked?

Not to my knowledge. The rankings are intended to factor in all of these things, but think of them like preseason rankings - once scouts have their minds made up about prospects in a class, it's really hard to move, especially the higher you go. The mold has been set since early on; usually they're not wrong in the top guys, but the rankings outside the All-American level are far from perfect.

Updates on our 2017 offers:

Teshaun Hightower is announcing his decision on 1/27. If I had to guess, I'd say he's picking Georgia.

Raynere Thornton tweeted on 1/4 that he's looking forward to announcing his decision soon.

Isaac Kante picked up an offer from Iowa State.

Tray Hollowell scored his 2,000th high school point. His recruitment is still quiet, though; I think his more attractive offers are stale. He'll be a nice get for a smaller program.

Zach Gunn is supposedly zeroing in on a decision timeline and narrowing his options; the info is behind a paywall. Should be leaking soon, though.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Updates on our 2017 offers:

Teshaun Hightower is announcing his decision on 1/27. If I had to guess, I'd say he's picking Georgia.

Raynere Thornton tweeted on 1/4 that he's looking forward to announcing his decision soon.

Isaac Kante picked up an offer from Iowa State.

Tray Hollowell scored his 2,000th high school point. His recruitment is still quiet, though; I think his more attractive offers are stale. He'll be a nice get for a smaller program.

Zach Gunn is supposedly zeroing in on a decision timeline and narrowing his options; the info is behind a paywall. Should be leaking soon, though.

Thank you Pistol for your updates.

I have a feeling that there will be at least one more transfer so I guess until that is announced that there will be no one else announcing for SLU, is that how it usually works?

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Thank you Pistol for your updates.

I have a feeling that there will be at least one more transfer so I guess until that is announced that there will be no one else announcing for SLU, is that how it usually works?

There's nothing stopping another 2017 commitment from happening. Kentucky, for example, always has more commitments than apparent open scholarships the next season, but they always send several guys to the NBA, so it doesn't matter. I guess it can make for awkward situations on a team like ours, where clearly no one's going pro.

Generally the outgoing transfers announce pretty quickly at the end of the season, and then you'll see commitments for the May signing period.

My hunch is that 1 will be the absolute lowest number of transfers we'll see. I've been thinking 2-4 more all along, and the more the season progresses, the more I tend to think it'll be the higher end of that.

Florida St. is currently at -3 scholarships, I guess they are expecting players to go pro, for our situation would we expect players to transfer then? Possible players to go, Nuefield, Zeke, Gillman,  and maybe Bishop for SLU? It wouldn't surprise me if Ford picks up more high quality transfers either instead of recruits. It also says we have 4 open spots for 2018 on VC, does that not count the 3 transfers we have?

4 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Florida St. is currently at -3 scholarships, I guess they are expecting players to go pro, for our situation would we expect players to transfer then? Possible players to go, Nuefield, Zeke, Gillman,  and maybe Bishop for SLU? It wouldn't surprise me if Ford picks up more high quality transfers either instead of recruits. It also says we have 4 open spots for 2018 on VC, does that not count the 3 transfers we have?

It takes a year for their scholarship count to catch up when transfers are involved. Regular players slide to the left each season, but the transfers will stay in that junior column. So the scholarship count beyond the upcoming season can frequently (usually) be off from what it'll actually be.

Just now, Pistol said:

It takes a year for their scholarship count to catch up when transfers are involved. Regular players slide to the left each season, but the transfers will stay in that junior column. So the scholarship count beyond the upcoming season can frequently (usually) be off from what it'll actually be.

So we can't complain with having Gordon as a potential 5* espn recruit, but can we complain that 2018 won't open up as many scholarships as we may want? Seems like that would be Ford's year for recruiting, I guess we have to be more selective now? Also word is Smith will not go to SLU since he does not want to play with Goodwin

2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

So we can't complain with having Gordon as a potential 5* espn recruit, but can we complain that 2018 won't open up as many scholarships as we may want? Seems like that would be Ford's year for recruiting, I guess we have to be more selective now? Also word is Smith will not go to SLU since he does not want to play with Goodwin

I guess I don't really understand your comment. I hope I didn't come across as complaining about anything.

Anyway, Goodwin won't hit the 5-star rating level. He's a solid 4-star. That's fine.

I don't get too hung up on the scholarship availability. Ford will make room when he needs to. As far as I'm concerned, we have a roster full of expendable players right now. Active players, anyway.

I don't know much about the Smith-Goodwin relationship, but if true, that would explain why we haven't offered. However, Goodwin has tweeted that more schools need to offer Smith because he's going to tell SLU's coaches about him, or something along those lines. Read into that what you will. Again, I don't have any inside knowledge about what they think of each other; there's clearly a respect of each other's abilities, though.

I would imagine at programs like Duke or Kentucky, highly rated recruits will inform the coaches that they are declaring for the draft after the season, and their scholarship will be open. So they can oversign players in the fall period.

I really can't see Gillmann or Neufeld back next year. Not playing them vs SIUE or Chicago State, the writing is on the wall. So expecting as least 2 new spring commits.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Anyway, Goodwin won't hit the 5-star rating level. He's a solid 4-star. That's fine.

Gordon? 

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't get too hung up on the scholarship availability. Ford will make room when he needs to. As far as I'm concerned, we have a roster full of expendable players right now. Active players, anyway.

So in your opinion would you expect to see Majerus like purges on the roster that some have talked about?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

There's nothing stopping another 2017 commitment from happening. Kentucky, for example, always has more commitments than apparent open scholarships the next season, but they always send several guys to the NBA, so it doesn't matter. I guess it can make for awkward situations on a team like ours, where clearly no one's going pro.

Generally the outgoing transfers announce pretty quickly at the end of the season, and then you'll see commitments for the May signing period.

My hunch is that 1 will be the absolute lowest number of transfers we'll see. I've been thinking 2-4 more all along, and the more the season progresses, the more I tend to think it'll be the higher end of that.

I would like Roby, Zeke and (maybe) Welmer to stay. That's it from the Crews era. 

I think that if Moore and Bishop leave, it will be because they decided to seek playing time somewhere else. They practice with the transfers every day, so they see what's coming in. It's up to them to decide if they're ok with their reduced roles. Gillmann and Nuefeld will be pushed out if they transfer. Maybe they'll post a Jollyesque dance video before deciding to transfer, it'd be fitting.

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I would like Roby, Zeke and (maybe) Welmer to stay. That's it from the Crews era. 

I'd also keep Bishop and JJ.  Pretty much everyone thats not 6'10+

51 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Gordon? 

So in your opinion would you expect to see Majerus like purges on the roster that some have talked about?

I misread that; yeah, Gordon's a 5-star by most, borderline in a couple rankings.

And yes, I think we're going to see more of a purge this spring than initially expected. Just my opinion. I don't think Ford has any use for most of these guys.

42 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I like Zeke and Welmer. Roby will probably stay because he'll be a senior and has put in some hard time with this program. I'm split on JJ; sometimes I like him, sometimes I think he's a bit of a stretch on the roster Ford is building. I have no use for Neufeld or Gillmann and I think Bishop needs to go. The Graves commitment probably seals that.