Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standout games for both incoming freshmen. 

It's worth noting that Goodwin had 19 rebounds to add to those 46 points. Not sure about the rest of his line. 

12/24/9/7/3 is a massive line for French. Marcus Camby-like. 

Next year can't come soon enough.

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

Standout games for both incoming freshmen. 

It's worth noting that Goodwin had 19 rebounds to add to those 46 points. Not sure about the rest of his line. 

12/24/9/7/3 is a massive line for French. Marcus Camby-like. 

Next year can't come soon enough.

What are Goodwin's physical metrics - he looks thicker than I would have thought?

i am still amazed that crews didnt think he was good enough to be a billiken.   the first time i heard that (during goodwin's sophomore season) i was done with jim crews.   

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am still amazed that crews didnt think he was good enough to be a billiken.   the first time i heard that (during goodwin's sophomore season) i was done with jim crews.   

Roy for the few of us that haven't seen him play how would you describe him? What player does he compare to?

recent butler star roosevelt jones is a good comparison.   only goodwin has better guard skills and has more outside shooting range.    his weakness imo is he isnt much more than an average outside shooter and isnt much of a free throw shooter.   considering how physical he is willing to play, imo making his free throws is a necessity.   50% free throws isnt going to be acceptable.  thats giving away 10 points a game.   he is shooting the three more than in years past and he is making some.   but if i am the althoff coach, no doubt id rather have his teamate marvin bateman shooting the threes than jordan.   but jordan is no longer a liability shooting that anymore like he was before.   early in high school you would say goodwin was an undersized power forward on offense.   i dont say that anymore.   his offense in the lane now comes off of drives as well as the rebounds he has always dominated at the high school level.  

i have seen him a lot over his high school career.   this year i have seen him twice already.   the big point guard experiment is working in high school.   prior to this year he never played there as althoff had the now illinois chicago point guard tarkus ferguson to take care of the ball when pressured.  this year if there is any full court pressure jordan takes control and has done very well.  granted he is not playing against A10 level talent yet, but he looks very convincing bringing it down if they arent breaking (which Althoff always tries to do if possible).   he is a score first point guard.   but he isnt selfish at all.   in that big game last night he had 4 assists and if he had teamates that were a little better finisher's he would have at least doubled that.  

i told my close friends on here recently i now am convinced he is a better player at this stage in his life than lisch was.   kevin was a better shooter, but goodwin does everything else kevin excelled at and more.   he never gets tired.   he plays relentless defense.   and he is the most ferocious high school rebounder i have ever seen.   probably half of his points each game are put backs   and defensively he has at least half the althoff defensive rebounds most every game.   when he grabs a defensive rebound he just goes.   and by the time he gets to the half line there is typically another teamate with him that gives him a choice to dish or go to the basket.   typically we will see a dunk off this scenario a couple of times a game from jordan.  

i think he plays harder than smart did.   that is where the jones reference comes into play.   he definitely is on the way to have a marcus smart nba body though.  all i know is that he is quite the exciting hard nosed all out player that billiken fans have always loved to support.   he isnt the smooth natural super talent larry hughes or a darius miles were in high school  (few are).   but he is going to really give us someone to come out and see win.   he is a winner.   

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

You used to talk about Goodwin when he was a sophomore.  Now, you are not a college coach and you don't get paid to evaluate high school talent.  Yet, you were 100% correct about Goodwin.   Seeing how you could see the talent he has (and you have a good eye for high school talent) why could not Crews?  He failed SLU BIG TIME.

1 hour ago, doowop said:

You used to talk about Goodwin when he was a sophomore.  Now, you are not a college coach and you don't get paid to evaluate high school talent.  Yet, you were 100% correct about Goodwin.   Seeing how you could see the talent he has (and you have a good eye for high school talent) why could not Crews?  He failed SLU BIG TIME.

Fire Jim Crews.

Roy is on target, looking forward to seeing French and Goodwin for 35+ a game.

this team is going to need time to meld together, but with 3 junior starters fromm the likes of Mich st, etc... i am looking forward to competing at a d1/a10 level again. no more of this slop.

21 hours ago, doowop said:

Possible explanation and not a defense of Crews.  First, Crews preferred height over skill/ability.  Second, as Roy himself mentioned, Jordan was an undersized power forward who did not play guard and who was a liabilty shooting. 

These are the kind that should intrigue a coach. And offers to a Soph are meanigless anyway in that they are nothing more than we are interested you so Crews did fail.