Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

What a tool! None of this should be surprising. I'm just a MBM, but I've been beating the drum for quite some time about how it should be easy to recruit against Groce now because he is on the hot seat. It's a perfect storm why local recruits would consider us over the dumpster fire at SPUMAC and the uncertainty at Illinois... two coaches on the hot seat, while we have a new coach just starting out who added one of the most connected recruiters on the local scene. On top of that, as that one astute Illinois fan pointed out, we've even had more recent (last 5 years) NCAA Tournament success than those other programs.

Also because $LU will bring you a briefcase full of cash. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/25/2016 at 9:41 AM, Bills_06 said:
1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

We've actually been using the Blue Chips approach for several years now.  The problem was that Crews was offering tractors to EVERYONE, not just the rural Indiana kids.

HOF Post!!

44 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

From a google search, he is a combo guard, with offers from Georgia and LaSalle. Listed as a 2 star on Verbal Commits.

Combo Guard

• Teshaun Hightower:  Originally from Suwanee, Georgia and he attended Collins Hill High School before transferring to Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore, Maryland.  Just received his offer from UGA on the same date as his High School teammate Obadiah Toppin.  In AAU action, he plays for the ATL Xpress on the Under Armour Association circuit.  He’s 6’5″ 180 pounds and will probably put on another 5-10 pounds before getting on a college campus.  Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Butler and Texas A&M are all interested in him, but have yet to offer.

12 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Illinois is going to have a solid season and Groce is going to stick around?

U of I is the 10th best team in the B10 entering his 4th season?  One bad injury could do him in.  He had the same case Tford had at okie state.  There will always be a hand full of teams that are better, or should be better than you every year. On top of that, Illinois is valued much higher than OSU.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

U of I is the 10th best team in the B10 entering his 4th season?  One bad injury could do him in.  He had the same case Tford had at okie state.  There will always be a hand full of teams that are better, or should be better than you every year. On top of that, Illinois is valued much higher than OSU.

That is an interesting comment and an interesting reason as to why Travis Ford could be really successful here. There really isn't any reason SLU should not be one of the top 3 programs in the A-10 while that is likely not the case at Illinois in the B1G or Oklahoma State in the XII.

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

There really isn't any reason SLU should not be one of the top 3 programs in the A-10 while that is likely not the case at Illinois in the B1G or Oklahoma State in the XII.

Exactly, you take the transfers we got and lets just say Goodwin.  Thats enough, or should be enough to win or contend for the A10 every year.  But face that group up against MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Kansas, Texas, and WVU twice a year, you're gonna have obviously a harder task.  Best part is, this doesn't translate to March.  

16 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I like the part where there is a double standard because Tillmon worries about Groce not being there and the other three didn't worry about it. I guess basketball recruits are all reguired to think alike.

Not too worried about our friends down in Champaign/Urbana...they got safe spaces to vent at...oh, and tea will be provided!

1 hour ago, waldo027 said:

Looks like Stu reads this board and is taking our advice on recruiting news.

Yes, I was one of the first to lead the charge and start whining about this last year. Kudos to Stu for changing!!! He is acting like other beat writers and providing fans with recruiting info that is of interest. This kid is not a name we have previously heard about. The only negative about this news is that it could be a sign that the Tillmon signing this fall is not imminent? Better $crounge up more ca$h to make it happen.

18 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

It sure would be nice to close out this thread by getting the same player who originally started it 3 years ago.

This is awesome! I hadn't made that connection.

This Roy Schmidt guy is a loser with a website that looks like the first website on the Internet. He sounds like a complete nutcase. He needs to take a deep breath, take off the tinfoil hat, and be reasonable. By the way, is he Roy Schmidt of Roy Schmidt Honda in Effingham? What's he doing with a bottom-of-the-barrel basketball blog?

Teshaun Hightower

G, 6-5, 180

Suwanee, GA (Mt. Zion Prep, MD)

Offers: La Salle, Georgia.

Interest: SLU, Butler, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Rutgers, Texas A&M, Cincinnati, Charlotte.

Latest News: SLU is making a push for Hightower as the November signing period opens. He took an official visit to La Salle and has looked like a spring signing. Many others have begun to express interest as his HS season draws near.

Scouting Report: Hightower is a combo guard from Georgia taking a prep year at Mt. Zion Prep in Baltimore this season. He has good size, can handle the ball, sees the floor well, and can score off the catch and dribble.

Twitter: @TeshaunTh

Now ole Roy is saying that we've "committed serious tampering" because there are "guidelines re: extent to which OTHER SCHOOLS can talk to a recruit who is committed."

He goes on to accuse Goodwin of violating NCAA rules/guidelines because JGood is talking to JT. 

What, if any of that, violates any NCAA reg/guideline? 

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Now ole Roy is saying that we've "committed serious tampering" because there are "guidelines re: extent to which OTHER SCHOOLS can talk to a recruit who is committed."

He goes on to accuse Goodwin of violating NCAA rules/guidelines because JGood is talking to JT. 

What, if any of that, violates any NCAA reg/guideline? 

Tilmon isn't committed anywhere.  Verbal commitments are not recognized by the NCAA. 

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

That's what I thought.  So we can still give him the suitcases full of cash, right? 

Schmidt is an idiot.  

Is Schmidt complaining about Javon Pickett trying to convince Tilmon to sign with the Illini or is that OK with Schmidt?