Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

To steal a baseball phrase, I think Welmer is technically out of options.  The redshirt rule is essentially you get five years to play four.  Welmer is at that, having taken last year, his first, as a redshirt due to the injury.  So he is left with four to burn.  He plays this year and decides to transfer out and he still sits a year to go another D1 but then starts that next season as a junior just as if he stayed here.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  Sure, he could go D2 or D3 and play right away but not D1.

It might be a tad unfair but I'm not expecting much from Elliott. I am still harboring ill will to just about any Crews' recruit.  I certainly hope he proves me wrong but the track record is the track record ......  Elliott will get every chance he can to make me look foolish .... as will Zeke and Neufeld and Gillmann.  We shall all see.  But if they all do, countthem as blessings.  We've all said most of those kids seems possible potential bench and role players.  With a lineup built around Bess, Henriquez, Foreman, Goodwin and French, such role players will be needed.  I would think after three years of hell, being a contributor on a winning team might be quite appealing all the same.

Taj, I do not think you are being unfair as much a just rigid in your thoughts. Look at basketball as a system with multiple enmeshed component parts. You have a set of coaches, you have players, you have a system of play, and you have the level of fit and understanding each player has of the whole thing (coaches, play system, and their abilities). I list the coaches separately from the system of play because there is a specific environment that is created by each and every set of coaches in which the players have to live in. This environment is different from the system of play.

I agree that the level of talent the players have is of key importance, but so are the environment created by the coaches which will allow or impede the development of the player, the system of play used which can be manageable by the players or totally bewildering to them, and the players' internal issues. In short the more elements you have in operation that have a negative effect upon the players, the worse the results will be. 

I think that the existing players basic talent level may not have changed much, however with the change of coaches and system of play, all else may have changed for SLU. This includes each individual player's ability to fit and produce, and what they think they can do (or be allowed to do) under the new system? Can the returning players use whatever talents they have more effectively now than they did last season? How well will Ford's new system work with the present level of talent? We will not have answers to these issues until we see the returning players do their thing this season. We all expect a bad season, however we may be surprised by what Ford and his coaches managed to do in the amount of time they have been with the team. We will see for sure.

In other words, some of the players chosen by Crews may do better, perhaps much better, under Ford. We will see. Agree Welmer is still a question mark.

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bissainthe is literally a late bloomer. He was 6'2 150 lb two years ago.

The nice thing about being two deep at practically every position is you can be very calculated with how you use that 13th scholarship.  The staff can afford to monitor late bloomers with big upside.

If we are going to be taking on project with upside, I would go with the 7'1" kid from Iceland before a 6'6" kid.

Here is a Bissianthe highlight video.  It seems strange to start a highlight video with a missed dunked, but he does have some hops.

51 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Still need a point guard. That is what they should be looking for.

Agreed. As we saw under RM, it is a real advantage having multiple players that can play the point so that is the direction I would go in with the last available scholarship. Also, there is a decent chance somebody will transfer out at the end of the year, so if that happens, then I would look for a center.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed. As we saw under RM, it is a real advantage having multiple players that can play the point so that is the direction I would go in with the last available scholarship. Also, there is a decent chance somebody will transfer out at the end of the year, so if that happens, then I would look for a center.

Wasn't there talk of JGood being the PG?

@bauman - re: carrying over a scholarship to 2018, I wouldn't do it. We already will have 5 scholarships available for that class. 6-man classes can be unwieldy.

I was just thinking last night that the last scholarship is probably going to someone whose name we haven't seen yet, or possibly the Icelandic kid.

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

20 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed. As we saw under RM, it is a real advantage having multiple players that can play the point so that is the direction I would go in with the last available scholarship. 

RM routinely played 3 point guards. Ford likes to load up on multi-positional athletes with size. It's a difference in philosophy.

SLU's 2017 recruiting class with French added is ranked 35th (FWIW).  A third decent recruit would lift them higher.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

About SLU not recruiting top 150 players in the past;  SLU has actually had bad luck with top 150 recruits.  Brett Thompson was top 150 and Obi Ikeakor was close.  Actually, Tommie Liddell was but playing extra year prep ball kept away from some ratings and Kwamain was close (playing for a smaller high school kept him for going a bit higher).

Bissainthe looks like a bit of a reach at this point. Late bloomer, indeed. I can't find any offers, but he has interest from us, Wyoming, Northern Arizona, FGCU, Stetson, Charleston Southern, Florida A&M, and Texas A&M-CC. I'm guessing he's just a guy we're keeping an eye on. I'll monitor his recruiting and put him on the Interest list.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@bauman - re: carrying over a scholarship to 2018, I wouldn't do it. We already will have 5 scholarships available for that class. 6-man classes can be unwieldy.

I was just thinking last night that the last scholarship is probably going to someone whose name we haven't seen yet, or possibly the Icelandic kid.

I thought the transfers still have 2 years of eligibility left so the only scholarships opening up for 2018 that we know right now would be Roby and Gillmann.  Am I thinking of that wrong or missing something?

18 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

SLU's 2017 recruiting class with French added is ranked 35th (FWIW).  A third decent recruit would lift them higher.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

About SLU not recruiting top 150 players in the past;  SLU has actually had bad luck with top 150 recruits.  Brett Thompson was top 150 and Obi Ikeakor was close.  Actually, Tommie Liddell was but playing extra year prep ball kept away from some ratings and Kwamain was close (playing for a smaller high school kept him for going a bit higher).

I guess this just tells you how rare it is for SLU and in 6 months Ford has brought in 6 players that were either top 150 at one point or close as in Jalen Johnson. Since Larry (16 years) we're looking at 2 and a couple close. Travis Ford has brought in more in 6 months than our other coaches did in 16 years.

16 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I would like to see T. Ford and C. Tate camp out at ESL for the last scholarship. I would be pursuing Tilmon until he signed his NLI. 

This isn't a bad strategy.  At a minimum it puts you in a strong position for when Groce gets fired and they release the recruits from their NLI.

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, I messed that up. Apologies. My four-month-old doesn't sleep, which means no one in our house does. I'm not thinking straight. We will not have a 6-man class. Carry on.

Pistol, don't ever let this happen again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   JUST KIDDING, you do a great job for all of us on this Board.