Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

11 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

So does this mean the parlay is complete? Or is there one more domino to fall?

I thought part of the parlay was supposed to be a local too.  Perhaps the coaches thought they had a better shot with Tilmon but he has decided to stick with Illinois?  No inside info but he seemed to be talked about a lot around the Goodwin commitment but nothing since.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't get hung up on the parlay. If there was another shoe to drop, it's either not happening or it's French or it's a player from another class and we're just going to have to be patient.

As for the last 2017 scholarship, we've gotta be looking at a combo guard or post player. I like the idea of another guy who can handle the point and shoot it from the perimeter, or a true center. The Icelandic kid is the latter; we'll see if Ford pushes things in that direction or gets another guard. We're stocked on the wing and forward positions.

It was said before the French madness, but Elijah Joiner committed to Tulsa.

Felipe Haase has trimmed his list to Mizzou, Pitt, Purdue, Louisville, and South Carolina. No surprises there; these are the schools he has visited or will visit.

Nojel Eastern's last official visit will be to Ohio State. He has also been to Purdue, Michigan State, and Seton Hall. Not sure if he took a fifth.

Anthony Mack visited Georgia this past weekend.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

???

Also, I'm not sure how you know my first name, but you've misspelled it.

You said the insiders don't know and that's why it is quiet...well...

My point was that French is signing with us.  I know it's an abstract reference but I thought you would be able to decifer the reference. Sorry!

3 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

You said the insiders don't know and that's why it is quiet...well...

My point was that French is signing with us.  I know it's an abstract reference but I thought you would be able to decifer the reference. Sorry!

Any idea on where the last scholarship is going, Pelican?

21 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Any idea on where the last scholarship is going, Pelican?

I know this... we have a few irons in the fire for this upcoming class. '18 class is getting worked hard.  They are looking at some athletic bigs, too.  These guys never stop recruiting, it's truly amazing!

French was the parlay with Goodwin. Kudos to Ford for sticking with French through the process. 

9 minutes ago, The Pelican said:

I know this... we have a few irons in the fire for this upcoming class. '18 class is getting worked hard.  They are looking at some athletic bigs, too.  These guys never stop recruiting, it's truly amazing!

French was the parlay with Goodwin. Kudos to Ford for sticking with French through the process. 

Probably can't say much, but is the Gordon smoke legit?

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Probably can't say much, but is the Gordon smoke legit?

It is, surprisingly. I'll say this...

If he gets his head and attitude right, he could be so much more valuable than he is now. These kids are all so different with different backgrounds, situations, etc; however, I think that being coachable and a good teammate can make or break you as a player. I'm hoping that part gets worked out. There is a reason he bounces around from team to team, school to school. 

The kid is a really good player but if he can get the part medial to the ears right, he could be really special. That part will be a project for anyone who takes him on. 

This is truly an exciting time to be a Billiken MBB (and WBB) fan.  Nothing builds excitement in the off-season like getting some outstanding recruits.  This Board is really pumped!

The only thing that will make T Ford's recruiting job more difficult for the 2018 class is that he will have a hard time using the "immediate playing time" pitch.

Unless we can get a 2017 PG (and I mean a top-level recruit) I would rather carry the extra 2017 scholarship over to the 2018 class.  There is a lot of talent, especially local, in that recruiting class and we are only losing 2 seniors.  I realize the "someone will transfer out" argument, but what if they don't?  I hate to bet on one of this years players not progressing, especially Neufield, who can fill a role (#5) which is hard to fill and would be going into his senior year.  That is not a point at which many players leave.  I don't see JB leaving even if we do recruit a PG for the last 2017 spot.  I think TF would prefer JB as the PG with 2 years experience rather than going with a FR.  I guess EW is the most likely to leave based on the #3 and #4s we will have after this year, but he is already one of the oldest FR in college BB this year, what with going to a prep school after HS and then Redshirting last year so he might not want to start over at a D2 or D3 school. Transferring to a D1 school would require him to sit out one year.  Obviously, the above says that I am confident that Johnson and Moore will be players we would want to keep.

Anyway, all of this is a great problem to have for a coaching staff which has done an outstanding job of turning this program around..

Good job, TF and staff!

The good and exiting part of this year is that we are kind of a blank slate. No one expects us to perform reasonably well, so we have a real opportunity to surprise by doing better than expected (not hard to do since no one expects much of us). The not so good part is that we have a team of 9 scholarship players, 3 of which are coming out of injuries, and one of these has yet to play at D1 level. The players will have to be used intensively in the coming season so re injuries are a areal possibility (with Crawford I would say close to a certainty, whether or not he stops playing altogether).

That is not saying we will definitely wind up at the bottom of the pile this season. Again on the good side we have a new coach and a new system of play. It is possible that some of the players that we know are good and capable, but who could not for some reason get it together well enough to perform as expected in prior years, may be able to improve considerably this season (I am talking specifically about Roby). The other good thing is that the players we have will be competing for continued play in coming seasons, they are motivated to do so. And finally we have Moore and Johnson coming in (as well as Wellmer who we have not seen play D1), it is entirely possible that these players will prove to be quite good this season, at least we can hope so. To summarize, I see reasons to have some optimism for this season, even if we remain close to the bottom in A10. What Ford and his staff are doing now is akin to keeping a sinking ship afloat, it takes time and effort to do so.

To steal a baseball phrase, I think Welmer is technically out of options.  The redshirt rule is essentially you get five years to play four.  Welmer is at that, having taken last year, his first, as a redshirt due to the injury.  So he is left with four to burn.  He plays this year and decides to transfer out and he still sits a year to go another D1 but then starts that next season as a junior just as if he stayed here.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  Sure, he could go D2 or D3 and play right away but not D1.

It might be a tad unfair but I'm not expecting much from Elliott. I am still harboring ill will to just about any Crews' recruit.  I certainly hope he proves me wrong but the track record is the track record ......  Elliott will get every chance he can to make me look foolish .... as will Zeke and Neufeld and Gillmann.  We shall all see.  But if they all do, countthem as blessings.  We've all said most of those kids seems possible potential bench and role players.  With a lineup built around Bess, Henriquez, Foreman, Goodwin and French, such role players will be needed.  I would think after three years of hell, being a contributor on a winning team might be quite appealing all the same.