Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Marquette missed out on Jordan Nwora, who just committed to Louisville. Might turn up the heat on French, although they've got 1 scholarship to give and Jacob Epperson, an Australian big who plays at La Lumiere, is still in play.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Marquette missed out on Jordan Nwora, who just committed to Louisville. Might turn up the heat on French, although they've got 1 scholarship to give and Jacob Epperson, an Australian big who plays at La Lumiere, is still in play.

Have you come across any information regarding when French might make a decision?

3 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Have you come across any information regarding when French might make a decision?

No. Just looked this morning, actually, and I can't get a sense of that. Not sure why he's taking his time now after having compressed his visit schedule at the end. I'd think it has to be soon, but I really don't know.

Loyola-Chicago just got a commitment from one-time SLU recruit Christian Negron. That's a huge get for Moser. He should be an instant impact player in the Valley.

Noah Frederking got his first offer, from Evansville. I don't think there's any interest from SLU, but good for him.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

These are the rosters for Iceland's most recent U18 team and U20 team.  You think the kid we are recruiting would be on one of these rosters.

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u18b/2016/Iceland#|tab=roster

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u20b/2016/Iceland

I was poking around on these sites in late April, when he went up there. (Confirmation here: https://twitter.com/JauntingSisters/status/723308010056069122)

There's a kid on the U-20 national team named Tryggi (Tryggvi) Hlinason who's just over 7 feet; you can find him in your second link. He's the only one on any of the lower national teams with that size. But I can't find any live recruiting info on him. Iceland's Domino League was in playoff mode when he was there. There are some former NCAA players in the league, but no big names.

If you go here - http://www.eurobasket.com/Iceland/basketball-Players.asp - and sort by NCAA Eligible, it cuts down to 50 names. Then you can sort by stats. Some of them don't have numbers and heights listed, but Johannesson Sveinbjorn was the second-leading scorer and tallest player listed last season. Aevarsson Brynjar wass the leading scorer of NCAA-eligible players.

Jon Axel Gudmundsson is the leading scorer and rebounder for the U-20 team, but he's only 6-5. No one on the U-18 team strikes me as tall enough, if we were looking for a big man. So yeah, I have no idea who it is.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

No. Just looked this morning, actually, and I can't get a sense of that. Not sure why he's taking his time now after having compressed his visit schedule at the end. I'd think it has to be soon, but I really don't know.

It does seem odd. I also notice that there has not been much movement on 247sports, so that would seem to tell us that nothing has been leaked to the recruiting folks.

55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I was poking around on these sites in late April, when he went up there. (Confirmation here: https://twitter.com/JauntingSisters/status/723308010056069122)

There's a kid on the U-20 national team named Tryggi (Tryggvi) Hlinason who's just over 7 feet; you can find him in your second link. He's the only one on any of the lower national teams with that size. But I can't find any live recruiting info on him. Iceland's Domino League was in playoff mode when he was there. There are some former NCAA players in the league, but no big names.

If you go here - http://www.eurobasket.com/Iceland/basketball-Players.asp - and sort by NCAA Eligible, it cuts down to 50 names. Then you can sort by stats. Some of them don't have numbers and heights listed, but Johannesson Sveinbjorn was the second-leading scorer and tallest player listed last season. Aevarsson Brynjar wass the leading scorer of NCAA-eligible players.

Jon Axel Gudmundsson is the leading scorer and rebounder for the U-20 team, but he's only 6-5. No one on the U-18 team strikes me as tall enough, if we were looking for a big man. So yeah, I have no idea who it is.

Oh, Gus, Gus, Gus. An Icelandic recruit might be the final nail. Or not.

Pistol, another impediment to keeping track of Icelandic players is that almost everyone in Iceland has the same name as several dozen other people in Iceland. If I recall, there's even an official Icelandic registry from which all local names must come. I'm not sure if Pistol Pistolsson is on there or not. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

-I was wondering about French as well and my take, worth nothing, is the longer it goes the better for the underdog which I count as us since he is spitting distance from UMass

I thought and posted before that French would approach his commitment in a methodical fashion carefully weighing pros and cons for all of his options. I got a fair amount of criticism for posting this. However and regardless of the level of criticism I received, French appears to be in no hurry to announce his commitment. Maybe, just maybe, I was calling it right. In conclusion, we will know when he is ready. 

45 minutes ago, bonwich said:

Oh, Gus, Gus, Gus. An Icelandic recruit might be the final nail. Or not.

Pistol, another impediment to keeping track of Icelandic players is that almost everyone in Iceland has the same name as several dozen other people in Iceland. If I recall, there's even an official Icelandic registry from which all local names must come. I'm not sure if Pistol Pistolsson is on there or not. 

I had the same though re: Gus.

There is indeed an official approved name registry in Iceland. The good news is that there are close to 2,000 approved names for men and women (each), and in a country whose population is roughly the same as the City of St. Louis, that's not too bad in terms of overlap. So we'll just have Gus memorize the list and whoever the recruit turns out to be, he's ready.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I had the same though re: Gus.

There is indeed an official approved name registry in Iceland. The good news is that there are close to 2,000 approved names for men and women (each), and in a country whose population is roughly the same as the City of St. Louis, that's not too bad in terms of overlap. So we'll just have Gus memorize the list and whoever the recruit turns out to be, he's ready.

Could we do the Icelandic clapping thing (if it is still fresh) if we get said Icelandic player (I am hoping his name is Halfdan as that is my favorite approved Icelandic name and would be great for basketball)?

On 10/17/2016 at 1:29 PM, cgeldmacher said:

It would be unfortunate to not capitalize on the momentum we had with the Goodwin signing.  Hopefully, the "parlay" White Pelican mentioned is still in play.

Just a correction. I am just an MBM. That 'parlay' didn't come from me. I suspect it was from THE Pelican. I believe he is an insider.

12 hours ago, Pistol said:

There's a kid on the U-20 national team named Tryggi (Tryggvi) Hlinason who's just over 7 feet; you can find him in your second link. He's the only one on any of the lower national teams with that size.

12 hours ago, Pistol said:

We'll see Gudmundsson up close in a few months. Davidson signed him in the spring.

Looks like the 7 footer Hlinason is becoming a handful on the boards:

http://www.fiba.com/europe/u20b/2016/news/icelands-record-breakers-gudmundsson-and-hlinason-see-off-russia

Skimming Twitter now.

Still no update on when Hasahn French will make a decision.

Anthony Mack "loved" his Mizzou visit and is visiting Georgia this weekend.

Felipe Haase is visiting Mizzou this weekend and will visit Pitt next weekend.

As ACE said, UK assistant Joel Justus came out to visit Taveion Hollingsworth. UAB and WKU were also in the house to watch him. UAB got an official visit from him earlier this month and is pushing hard; WKU just offered. He seems like a bit of a reach for UK so I'm not quite sure what their view of him is.

Elijah Joiner is visiting Tulsa this weekend.

Antwan Walker officially trimmed his list to two: Virginia Tech and Georgetown. Georgetown has been his leader from day one and VT has come on strong; no one else ever appeared to seriously be in the mix.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Anthony Mack "loved" his Mizzou visit and is visiting Georgia this weekend.

I've read somewhere that a journalism program is playing a really big part of his recruiting process.