Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

17 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

It looks like Anthony Mack may be getting closer to a decision as he has visits scheduled for Mizzou this weekend followed by Georgia next week. Are we in the running in this one?

Yeah, SLU coaches were just at Blair yesterday. Mack's official visits were SLU, Duquesne, Memphis, and now Mizzou and Georgia. Wyoming has been one of the schools recruiting him hardest from the start. He hasn't announced official finalists but if he did, I'm confident we'd be one of them.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, SLU coaches were just at Blair yesterday. Mack's official visits were SLU, Duquesne, Memphis, and now Mizzou and Georgia. Wyoming has been one of the schools recruiting him hardest from the start. He hasn't announced official finalists but if he did, I'm confident we'd be one of them.

Not to take anything away from our school, but Wyoming is an interesting option; obviously Leapin' Larry Nance, Jr. brought the 'Boys back to national prominence under the legendary Larry Shyatt, but now the program is in the hands of former Kentucky star Allen Edwards and picked to finish 10th out of the 11-team Mountain West Conference. Laramie is a very cozy college town and the UW Arena-Auditorium (from the "no one could make up their mind Department") is always packed for games; I had the opportunity to attend a New Mexico-Wyoming tilt in Jan. 2015, with Nance hitting a shot with seconds to go to win it. Place went bonkers. The U of W is basically the only show in town for Wyoming residents - and they very much support the athletic programs there. War Memorial Stadium (football) is shown below as well.  thumb?viewBox=1578

thumb?viewBox=1578

On 10/12/2016 at 10:41 AM, TheChosenOne said:

Gotcha, so we should hope for no announcement tomorrow.

-hoping not to jump the gun but verbal commits still lists French as undecided, so perhaps Kellogg didn't close the deal yesterday and hopefully he can't going forward

7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-hoping not to jump the gun but verbal commits still lists French as undecided, so perhaps Kellogg didn't close the deal yesterday and hopefully he can't going forward

French visited Umass before the open practice. He then sent this tweet. Hopefully he let Kellogg down easy ha. 

French and his Commonwealth Academy teammate Arashma Parks (2018, also a SLU offeree) were both at UMass' practice yesterday. There was a picture of them at the Basketball Hall of Fame before it.

He didn't commit at practice, obviously, and not in the immediate aftermath. Most of the chatter I can find is still about UMass, with SLU second and almost nothing about Marquette or UNLV since his UNLV visit. Who knows what that cryptic tweet yesterday means - it's still anyone's guess where he commits.

13 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Check French's tweets, I think he was answering a tweet he received just before from a girl who complained that people she loved were against her. I do not think it has much to do with basketball.

You are pretty amazing with your ability to navigate twitter for a guy in his 70's.

I'm learning that these guys don't care for haters though they realize that they will maintain their stance of hating.  All the while these guys demonstrate love. Makes me involuntarily demonstrate my confounded surprise through non verbal means.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

French and his Commonwealth Academy teammate Arashma Parks (2018, also a SLU offeree) were both at UMass' practice yesterday. There was a picture of them at the Basketball Hall of Fame before it.

-another name for Gus to butcher, just think of the possibilities with Arashma Parks joining Jordan Goodwin, Carte'Are Gordon, Austin Gillmann and Zeke Moore

On 10/11/2016 at 4:01 PM, TheChosenOne said:

UMass received its first prediction for Hasahn French on 247sports today from Mark Miller (Editor Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook). There are currently 5 predictions: 2 for SLU (Corey Evans on 9/5 and Kyle Goblirsch on 9/21), 2 for Minnesota (no longer in the running), and now 1 for UMass.

UMass picked up another prediction for Hasahn French on 247sports. There are currently 6 predictions: 2 for SLU (Corey Evans on 9/5 and Kyle Goblirsch on 9/21), 2 for Minnesota (no longer in the running), and now 2 for UMass (Mark Miller on 10/11 and Chris Arvin on 10/16).

As mentioned above, French played in the PJN Classic this weekend. Some UMass players and fans were in the house. French's Commonwealth Academy National team won easily, and he provided a nice highlight.

Antwan Walker took his official visit to Georgetown this weekend. They're his leader and could get a commitment soon. He also won the dunk contest at Hargrave's season opening event.

Anthony Mack took his official visit to Mizzou this weekend. Then he got a visit from Villanova assistant Baker Dunleavy as soon as he returned to Blair. His official visit to Georgia starts Wednesday.

SLU was out to see Isaac Kante last week.

Elijah Joiner visited UIC this weekend and will visit Tulsa this coming weekend. He has also visited Illinois State, UAB, and Iowa State. Cincinnati and Mizzou are also involved. Kind of an interesting list; SLU doesn't appear to be in the mix anymore.

Taveion Hollingsworth visited UAB; West Virginia was his other official visit so far, but it still doesn't appear the Mountaineers have offered.

Zach Gunn visited Ball State. His recruitment has gotten really quiet this year, after landing offers from Indiana, Butler, and SLU early on. I'm not sure who else is still involved here, but this was a Crews offer and SLU is almost certainly no longer in the picture.

Mack will be an interesting one to watch. Given that he's getting his UGA visit - his fifth official - done mid-week, I'd expect a fairly short timetable for an announcement, or at least for him to name a few finalists. We were involved earlier than most (Duquesne, Wyoming, and some small northeastern programs excepted) and were in great shape for a while, but some power conference programs have come on strong. I have no idea where he's leaning or what he's prioritizing. I sure don't like that Villanova is sniffing around now. He'd sure look good in Billiken blue; a big, tough East Coast guard who can shoot from all over but score in a variety of ways, and defend.

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

Zach Gunn visited Ball State. His recruitment has gotten really quiet this year, after landing offers from Indiana, Butler, and SLU early on. I'm not sure who else is still involved here, but this was a Crews offer and SLU is almost certainly no longer in the picture.

IU is off of Gunn.  They have three verbals, are already over subscribed, and still looking at bigger fish in the pond.

11 hours ago, billikentim said:

http://www.scout.com/college/missouri/story/1718346-anthony-mack-recaps-missouri-visit

For those without a scout subscription Mack says he canceled his Saint Louis visit. Doesn't look like we are in the running anymore. 

Well, I guess that's why we didn't hear much after that date. But our coaches were also just up there to see him recently. Weird.

@cheeseman - To answer your question in that stray thread, I know Ford took a recruiting trip to Iceland a few months ago but have not been able to pin down the names of the players he was seeing there. If one or more Icelandic recruits were on campus recently, that makes sense based on this trip that I haven't been able to extract any information out of.