Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

If we assume Hasahn French is your standard vapid, image loving kid, there may be reasons to worry . If we assume he is not and that he is carefully considering his options we are not in bad shape. There is literally nothing we can do about his decision, it is his and his alone. Let UMass put on their dog and pony show literally next door to his school, if that is what they want to do. From my point of view this kid has had plenty of opportunity so far to make an on the spot choice based on whatever but has not done so. I just do not think he is the kind of kid that gets impressed easily by some extravaganza or the other. And of course I may be wrong but who cares?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any recruit who makes a final decision on where he will attend based on twitter isn't thinking straight.  Chances are he will bolt after his first year, as some other university will out twitter his selected university. 

Decisions based on relationships with the coach and existing players, based on the type and qualify of school, now those you have a good chance of having a student athlete to be proud of.

UMass received its first prediction for Hasahn French on 247sports today from Mark Miller (Editor Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook). There are currently 5 predictions: 2 for SLU (Corey Evans on 9/5 and Kyle Goblirsch on 9/21), 2 for Minnesota (no longer in the running), and now 1 for UMass.

Matt Turner of Blair Academy - Anthony Mack's teammate - just committed to Santa Clara. His other finalists were VT, Pitt, GW, St. Joe's, and SLU.

Nojel Eastern said his Seton Hall visit went well. He's still playing it close to the vest.

Felipe Haase has visits scheduled to Louisville, Mizzou, and Purdue this month. Pitt and South Carolina have also offered.

Antwan Walker has taken numerous unofficial visits to Georgetown, but this weekend will be the official one. They've been his leader from the start.

Pitt coach Kevin Stallings is out to see Aaron Wheeler today. Pitt is one of his leaders. Arkansas coach Mike Anderson was out to see him on Monday.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Matt Turner of Blair Academy - Anthony Mack's teammate - just committed to Santa Clara. His other finalists were VT, Pitt, GW, St. Joe's, and SLU.

Nojel Eastern said his Seton Hall visit went well. He's still playing it close to the vest.

Felipe Haase has visits scheduled to Louisville, Mizzou, and Purdue this month. Pitt and South Carolina have also offered.

Antwan Walker has taken numerous unofficial visits to Georgetown, but this weekend will be the official one. They've been his leader from the start.

Pitt coach Kevin Stallings is out to see Aaron Wheeler today. Pitt is one of his leaders. Arkansas coach Mike Anderson was out to see him on Monday.

Location is awesome, and Santa Clara smacked SLU a few years ago, but interesting choice.

Over half of the top 150 players have yet to commit yet. I don't think this is an anomaly. With social media everyone knows who's recruiting who and what kids are being prioritized.

The top 150 kids like French know there's no rush to commit. It's not like we're recruiting someone better at his position in this class.

UMass has an open practice tomorrow. Some think it could be then, if he's going their direction.

But other than a Tweet this week that said "Don't tweet about your situation just pray" (irony!), there's no timeline or indication when he'll do it.

He'd look good in a Billikens uniform.

39 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Gotcha, so we should hope for no announcement tomorrow.

Well, we want him to stay away from UMass' open practice.

I think we're going to hear something any day now, one way or the other.

Now that it's Wednesday, he's clearly not calling it quickly based on any visits. There was the fear that he'd call it Sunday or Monday for UNLV if he had a great visit there, but we're past that. Now he's chewing on it a bit. UMass has the advantage of being right there, so they have the most opportunity to remind him of what he likes about the place. Hopefully our coaching staff is staying in his ear.

21 hours ago, Pistol said:

UMass has an open practice tomorrow. Some think it could be then, if he's going their direction.

But other than a Tweet this week that said "Don't tweet about your situation just pray" (irony!), there's no timeline or indication when he'll do it.

He'd look good in a Billikens uniform.

Wouldnt it be a little awkward if they get a commitment from French when they dont have any scholarships to give?  Someone at practice will be cut.  

22 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Wouldnt it be a little awkward if they get a commitment from French when they dont have any scholarships to give?  Someone at practice will be cut.  

I've been looking at UMass' situation. They have 0 seniors on scholarship this season, along with 5 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 5 freshmen. About half of the players on their roster have taken a redshirt at some point.

I wondered if they'd do what we did with Welmer and get the senior HS year commitment and then encourage him to take a prep year so they will have room for him the following season. But French will be 19 when he graduates; I'm not sure that this is his actual fourth or fifth year but he's at a prep school and is the age of a fifth-year player. He's also not a guy who'd benefit much physically from another year. So I don't think that's it.

Most teams these days have outgoing transfers every year (past few years have shown ~700 outgoing D-I transfers, or about 2 per roster). They either have 1-2 guys who they think will leave during or after this season, or they're just counting on natural attrition because that happens just about everywhere every year now.

I really don't know. But it's not secret information that they're full and I'm not sure how it factors into the sales pitch to French. As an incoming player, I'd rather know that I have a guaranteed spot than just a "Don't worry about it, kid" assurance from a program.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

As an incoming player, I'd rather know that I have a guaranteed spot than just a "Don't worry about it, kid" assurance from a program.

Ever since French narrowed his list to 4 schools I've been coming here to see how SLU fans perceive his recruitment. As someone who follows UMass recruiting very closely, I can tell you that UMass is in a rather unusual position right now.

As you said, we have no seniors this year and for the first time that I can ever remember, we had 0 players transfer out after last season. What we do have is 4 juniors who just started their 4th year in college and 6 freshmen. Kellogg has publicly stated that at least one of those 4th-year juniors is on pace to graduate in January. In addition, someone told me Kellogg also publicly stated that two other players were on pace to graduate in January... this I can't confirm. The two most likely transfer candidates are both 4th-year junior forwards, one is graduating in January and has been a solid, yet unspectacular role player, the other has had chronic knee problems that have severely limited his playing time.  

Kellogg has never been one to force players out. My suspicion is that one of his players has informed him of his plans to go elsewhere at the end of the season, or possibly Kellogg is willing to force a player out to make room for French, if it comes down to that. I think the chances of no one leaving of their own volition at the end of this season are slim to none. 1 guy who will definitely be eligible for a grad transfer, 3 more who might be as long as they can graduate in 4 years, plus 6 freshmen... not only do I expect someone to leave on their own, I think there's a good chance more than one will leave, regardless of how good or bad this season goes for UMass as a team.

1 hour ago, UMass said:

Ever since French narrowed his list to 4 schools I've been coming here to see how SLU fans perceive his recruitment. As someone who follows UMass recruiting very closely, I can tell you that UMass is in a rather unusual position right now.

As you said, we have no seniors this year and for the first time that I can ever remember, we had 0 players transfer out after last season. What we do have is 4 juniors who just started their 4th year in college and 6 freshmen. Kellogg has publicly stated that at least one of those 4th-year juniors is on pace to graduate in January. In addition, someone told me Kellogg also publicly stated that two other players were on pace to graduate in January... this I can't confirm. The two most likely transfer candidates are both 4th-year junior forwards, one is graduating in January and has been a solid, yet unspectacular role player, the other has had chronic knee problems that have severely limited his playing time.  

Kellogg has never been one to force players out. My suspicion is that one of his players has informed him of his plans to go elsewhere at the end of the season, or possibly Kellogg is willing to force a player out to make room for French, if it comes down to that. I think the chances of no one leaving of their own volition at the end of this season are slim to none. 1 guy who will definitely be eligible for a grad transfer, 3 more who might be as long as they can graduate in 4 years, plus 6 freshmen... not only do I expect someone to leave on their own, I think there's a good chance more than one will leave, regardless of how good or bad this season goes for UMass as a team.

Yeah, this is good info. It all makes sense - I just still find it odd that they'd be giving him someone else's spot. There's a lot more comfort in "this scholarship is yours and yours alone." With all those redshirts, I'm sure a bunch of guys can graduate early, and the grad transfer rule makes it relatively easy. But still...if Kellogg isn't one to oversubscribe, he's sure counting on things working out.

On 10/12/2016 at 9:35 AM, Pistol said:

It looks like Anthony Mack may be getting closer to a decision as he has visits scheduled for Mizzou this weekend followed by Georgia next week. Are we in the running in this one?

I have no problem with a school over committing. I'd expect to see it over the next few years at SLU while Ford is building his program. 

The numbers say that you're going to lose probably 2 players each year. I'd rather sign guys in the fall than wade through the bargain bin at the end of spring. 

Stu with some recruiting nuggets in his latest article. Looks like he's been listening to us.

Recruiting update

Hasahn French, a 6-7 power forward from Springfield, Mass., is considering SLU, Massachusetts, Marquette and UNLV and has visited each of those campuses. He is generally considered among the top 150 players in the country in the class of 2017.

SLU has been working hard on Webster Groves junior Carte'Are Gordon, sending several coaches to the school on multiple occasions in recent weeks, according to Webster Groves coach Jay Blossom.

Although SLU reportedly offered a scholarship to Nojel Eastern from Evanston, Ill., last year, the new coaching staff has not been in contact with the top 100 shooting guard, according to his mother.

47 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Stu with some recruiting nuggets in his latest article. Looks like he's been listening to us.

Recruiting update

Hasahn French, a 6-7 power forward from Springfield, Mass., is considering SLU, Massachusetts, Marquette and UNLV and has visited each of those campuses. He is generally considered among the top 150 players in the country in the class of 2017.

SLU has been working hard on Webster Groves junior Carte'Are Gordon, sending several coaches to the school on multiple occasions in recent weeks, according to Webster Groves coach Jay Blossom.

Although SLU reportedly offered a scholarship to Nojel Eastern from Evanston, Ill., last year, the new coaching staff has not been in contact with the top 100 shooting guard, according to his mother.

Way to go Stu! Keep it up. He must be reading and reacting to our constructive criticism.