Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Hasahn French is visiting UNLV this weekend so hopefully we hear something next week

He got down to brass tacks after the SLU visit. I didn't think he'd have both knocked out within a week. So yeah, I agree that it looks like he wants to wrap this up soon.

UNLV has always kind of been the oddball in his recruitment - farthest from home, not in the same conferences as his other choices. But they have the most open scholarships and seem to have room for him at PF on paper. UMass is out of scholarships on paper but clearly not letting up. They're making a big social media push at him and he seems to love it. Really hard to say where Marquette stands, as they seem like they're shooting for an all-forward class. I really liked the buzz around us as his visit approached, but now don't know what to call our odds besides 1 in 4.

This is clear to  me about Hasahn French: he is methodical and thorough. He is not someone to make his mind on the spot, he insisted in going through his visits as he had planned, and we should not be surprised if he takes his time to carefully consider what his likes vs dislikes are for each and every one of the programs he visited, and then to compare his findings to what he wants and his goals. When this kid makes a decision it will be a well thought out decision or so I think. It will be an honor to have someone like that choosing our program.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

UNLV has always kind of been the oddball in his recruitment - farthest from home, not in the same conferences as his other choices. But they have the most open scholarships and seem to have room for him at PF on paper. UMass is out of scholarships on paper but clearly not letting up. They're making a big social media push at him and he seems to love it. Really hard to say where Marquette stands, as they seem like they're shooting for an all-forward class. I really liked the buzz around us as his visit approached, but now don't know what to call our odds besides 1 in 4.

UNLV isn't a real school... Its Disney World. Just a few miles off the strip, this massive campus looming over the Nevada desert. I don't know how any student chooses to go to school there... Unless they are College athletes, in which case, I have no idea why you would go anywhere else.

I am an optimist so I am hoping for a French and Verge commitment next week.  I would think French is down to SLU and UMASS. He will want to play some games in front of his family so that would eliminate UNLV. 

I remember an article on Verge in the spring that said SLU was showing interest. Not much recruiting information on him or many offers listed. Like Pistol mentioned the many high schools he has attended is scaring off teams.

5 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is clear to  me about Hasahn French: he is methodical and thorough. He is not someone to make his mind on the spot, he insisted in going through his visits as he had planned, and we should not be surprised if he takes his time to carefully consider what his likes vs dislikes are for each and every one of the programs he visited, and then to compare his findings to what he wants and his goals. When this kid makes a decision it will be a well thought out decision or so I think. It will be an honor to have someone like that choosing our program.

Unless you have met this kid -maybe you have- it is hard to make these kind of conclusions. He may just want to party 

Was setting up tv for college football tomorrow, and noticed UNLV is playing AT San Diego State....don`t want to read too much into that, but can`t show him what the atmosphere around campus is like for a football game.....I am not sayin` just sayin`

The truth is cheeseman, that I obviously think differently than you do, and therefore I may be able to come to conclusions (right or wrong) that are hard for you to make. Do you know for a fact that Hassan French is a kid that just wants to party? By the way, kindly acknowledge the fact that I am willing to accept I may be wrong in reaching the conclusions I reach. 

4 hours ago, slusam said:

I am an optimist so I am hoping for a French and Verge commitment next week.  I would think French is down to SLU and UMASS. He will want to play some games in front of his family so that would eliminate UNLV. 

I remember an article on Verge in the spring that said SLU was showing interest. Not much recruiting information on him or many offers listed. Like Pistol mentioned the many high schools he has attended is scaring off teams.

Have not heard of any interest from Alonzo Verge Jr. in SLU 

until this post.  Has he visited SLU?  Opinions....how does he rank in priority versus other guards Turner and Allen?  By the way, Verge does not even show up as a SLU target on 247.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is all just conjecture, ya ol' loosejaw.  I bet it's 50/50 odds at best that he falls on one side or the other of your woolymouthed fiddle faddle.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

The truth is cheeseman, that I obviously think differently than you do, and therefore I may be able to come to conclusions (right or wrong) that are hard for you to make. Do you know for a fact that Hassan French is a kid that just wants to party? By the way, kindly acknowledge the fact that I am willing to accept I may be wrong in reaching the conclusions I reach. 

I will kindly acknowledge that you made it personal when I was simply pointing out that without knowing a person it is hard to know who a person really is. By the way, I did allow for the fact that you could have known the person.  I never said I knew him. I simply offered another possibility but obviously you find that hard to do.  I also appreciate that you can accept that you reach wrong conclusions.  I know that must have been hard for you. 

On 10/7/2016 at 8:18 PM, Franchise_08 said:

2017 SF William Douglas receive an offer from SLU today but just committed to SMU minutes ago.  Anyone know anything about this situation?

SLU offered several weeks ago. He's a nice player. Memphis, TCU, and SMU all were involved, among a lot of SEC schools.

FWIW, Frank just said on the radio that he wouldn't be surprised if SLU got another huge commitment from a St. Louis kid in the very near future. I only caught the tail end of it though so I'm not sure if he's hearing this or if it's his own speculation. I assume he's talking about a 2018 kid, but I can't say that for sure.

EDIT: He later said it is Carte' Are Gordon, so this news would belong in the 2018 thread. Sounds like it's just speculation on his part, but that would certainly be outstanding news.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

FWIW, Frank just said on the radio that he wouldn't be surprised if SLU got another huge commitment from a St. Louis kid in the very near future. I only caught the tail end of it though so I'm not sure if he's hearing this or if it's his own speculation. I assume he's talking about a 2018 kid, but I can't say that for sure.

EDIT: He later said it is Carte' Are Gordon, so this news would belong in the 2018 thread. Sounds like it's just speculation on his part, but that would certainly be outstanding news.

I don't see this happening 

Frank can be tricky with inside info. There are times you question how much he actually knows, then  there are times he hears from TF himself that we're hiring Corey Tate. One day later...boom...Tate news breaks. Frank was somewhat out there on an island reporting about Goodwin's interest in SLU...then one or two days later...boom...Goodwin commits to SLU.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

What segment was he talking about it, do you know?  

I do find this interesting because it seems similar to the Goodwin situation.  First he heard that SLU is feeling good about their standing and then later comes out and says look for an announcement from him SLU fans will love.  A few weeks ago he talked about how he heard SLU loves their chances with Gordon and Watson and how huge that would be to get a commitment in a few weeks from one or both of them.  Seems crazy early for Gordon to commit so I'll withhold excitement until more comes out but Frank does seem to be close to Ford.