Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Are you suggesting that Stu or the PD should be interviewing recruits as a means to help SLU in their recruitment of said recruit?

No. I could care less what the pd does. I was simply pointing out a possible benefit of stu doing interviews with recruits. There seemed to be several saying it didn't matter if pd covered recruiting more. Maybe. But maybe it strokes the right kids ego. Who knows

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

To my favorite "insider" Doc B ------- no,nothing leaked.  But thanks for your kind words and thoughtful consideration in asking.  My Depends work well for me, do you wear an off brand?

Nice to know that your real inside information is nothing more than hearsay (your exact words not mine ---   Blame that person, not me; unless you want to blame me for sharing what I heard (hearsay) ---- to anoint you an insider is ripe with fraud.  Thanks for proving that.

I'm sure you can come back and tap dance on my forehead when, like the proverbial blind squirrel, French does possibly sign with Ford.  I will admit to impatience fueling my fire ---- Ford gets an A+ for his transfers. And the waste he eliminated from our system.  And Goodwin.  But we were also told a second coming was included with Goodwin.  Nada. Then the French visit fueled (fooled) by your now-known hearsay.  Meanwhile,kids (Allen, Williams,Polley, Whyte, Childs,  etc.) are committing all over the country,including in the A10.  

Tea leaves reading and rumor interpretation, that is what you get Taj. If you do not like it, the real question becomes: what is your concept of reality? If you want some information right now, how can it be reality? It has not happened yet . Dr. B advised everyone not to go pis_ing in their pants. Did you not read that disclosure he made as part of his post?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Tea leaves reading and rumor interpretation, that is what you get Taj. If you do not like it, the real question becomes: what is your concept of reality? If you want some information right now, how can it be reality? It has not happened yet . Dr. B advised everyone not to go pis_ing in their pants. Did you not read that disclosure he made as part of his post?

Another Old guy-style beat down.

15 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

The Mizzou beat seems to be a big enough job on its own not to be burdened with too many other responsibilities, even Cardinal baseball.

Hopefully Matter makes a little more than the others.  After all, he has to cover sports and crime.

12 hours ago, Westy03 said:

You can add mizzou to Anthony Mack's offer list. He is visiting there Oct 22

He will also be visiting Georgia, which rounds out his five official visits. SLU, Duquesne, and Memphis were the others. I don't have a date for the UGA visit yet.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:23 AM, RiseAndGrind said:

i hope SLU can get J-Good to show him around. 

French, Allen, Goodwin should be the top class in the a10

I get the football point but some kids don't care about that.  They would rather be at a school where the basketball program is king not a stepchild.  If going to a big school with football was important then why would you look at smaller basketball only schools?  I guess the kid could just covering all his bases but I would still think you still have a good shot at him.

On 9/18/2016 at 8:23 AM, RiseAndGrind said:

i hope SLU can get J-Good to show him around. 

French, Allen, Goodwin should be the top class in the a10

I get the football point but some kids don't care about that.  They would rather be at a school where the basketball program is king not a stepchild.  If going to a big school with football was important then why would you look at smaller basketball only schools?  I guess the kid could just covering all his bases but I would still think you still have a good shot at him.

Ok clearly I am doing something wrong with this new format.  How can you just comment on a topic without your old posts being reposted?  Bonwich I understand that time is of some issue here but I am sure reporters do not work an 8 hour day - their job takes as long as it takes as a lot of other jobs.  Nothing has to be left out - time simply has to be managed well and the motivation to do a job well done has to be there in order for extra effort to exist.

A few updates:

Nojel Eastern is visiting Seton Hall this weekend. He's been kind of wishy-washy on official visits; he's gone to Michigan State, but Ohio State had been scheduled and then unscheduled. Not sure where his other remaining visits will be. OSU, Purdue, Mizzou, Xavier, many still seem to be in the mix.

AJ Caldwell from Riverview HS in Florida committed to South Alabama. We'd shown interest.

Manny Patterson is visiting Central Connecticut. I don't think we're involved here at all anymore.

David Sloan is transferring (again), this time to Conrad Academy in Florida. He was ruled ineligible to play at Ballard HS in Louisville.

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think it is awesome that we have a bunch of fans that get upset that a writer doesn't supply them with enough free information.   Maybe Stu can come by and rake your yard too this weekend.

If you want more coverage it is going to have to make financial sense for the Post or someone else on their own to provide it.  Call the Post and tell them you will sign up for a digital subscription if they provide new additional Billiken coverage behind the paywall.  If enough people make this request, they may just add the coverage.  The next time someone starts a Rivals or Scout site for the Billikens buy a subscription.

Just quit complaining about someone not working hard enough for you for free.

It used to be my practice to mention this every time I got dunned to renew my subscription. Lately the coverage we do get is so bad I probably won't bother again.

4 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

It used to be my practice to mention this every time I got dunned to renew my subscription. Lately the coverage we do get is so bad I probably won't bother again.

Right.

I'm not going to spend  money on a subscription with the hope the product gets better.  

17 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

A better idea would be to give Stu positive feedback for his tweet about French and tell him that is the type of content that SLU fans are interested in.

Here is another example of an A-10 writer (a guy who covers a variety of other sports too) mentioning recruiting on twitter... There are MANY other examples throughout the A-10. Hopefully Stu will follow their lead.

Bill Koch Retweeted fatts

2017 Philadelphia PG Daron Russell. #URI on his final list. Took an official visit to Kingston Sept. 8-10. #Rams

23 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Right.

I'm not going to spend  money on a subscription with the hope the product gets better.  

I gladly spend money in subscribing the PD because I think it is important to have a newspaper in our city that provides some availability of local news. Besides that, it is important to me personally to feel I am a part (however small and insignificant) of this community, and getting the St. Louis newspaper and magazines are a part of this.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

He will also be visiting Georgia, which rounds out his five official visits. SLU, Duquesne, and Memphis were the others. I don't have a date for the UGA visit yet.

Does anyone know how their visit (Mack and Turner) went last weekend (I think they were scheduled to visit this past weekend)? Blair Academy has a solid senior class with Deng Gak, Anthony Mack, and Matt Turner 

Let me see here.  We have a long-standing newspaper struggling in today's modern and digital age and is laying off staff and making cut backs.  The "new" ownership of the Post also does not appear to be turning the paper and its profitability around.  Labor and available resources seem to be in declining and following the trend of newspaper revenue declines.   And we complaining that our local college down the street does not get good enough coverage.

Has someone not thought about internships for SLU students at the Post Dispatch.  Or cheap labor?  SLU students can follow their fellow students provide insight the Post can publish/distribute, and in turn, the students can learn and obtain real and practical skills and maybe a few dollars in their pockets.  What am I missing here?

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Ok clearly I am doing something wrong with this new format.  How can you just comment on a topic without your old posts being reposted?  Bonwich I understand that time is of some issue here but I am sure reporters do not work an 8 hour day - their job takes as long as it takes as a lot of other jobs.  Nothing has to be left out - time simply has to be managed well and the motivation to do a job well done has to be there in order for extra effort to exist.

Re: Old posts and Attn: Signguy. I had a parallel problem last week. The "quoted quote" got locked up in all my replies. In other words, every reply I would type after this one would be prefilled with cheeseman's post above (or whichever post I'd just quoted). Weird. If it happens again, I may just let it post as an example and then send you all my OS and browser deets. 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Has someone not thought about internships for SLU students at the Post Dispatch.  Or cheap labor?  SLU students can follow their fellow students provide insight the Post can publish/distribute, and in turn, the students can learn and obtain real and practical skills and maybe a few dollars in their pockets.  What am I missing here?

When I left the contract contained a limit on the number of interns. Don't know if that's changed or not. 

I do know that the amount of crap people are expected to churn out is even worse now than when I was there, and even then it was totally unrealistic. Right now, Stu is churning out boatloads of good crap, so I can understand why he might not be monitoring his Twitter as frequently as rabid fans might like. 

BTW, he put out a really funny one today about tape on the floor in addition to this injury update: Mike Crawford (hamstring), D.J. Foreman (hip) participating in part of practice today for SLU. Reggie Agbeko full go.

13 minutes ago, bonwich said:

Re: Old posts and Attn: Signguy. I had a parallel problem last week. The "quoted quote" got locked up in all my replies. In other words, every reply I would type after this one would be prefilled with cheeseman's post above (or whichever post I'd just quoted).

This has happened to me also.  I have to close down, pretty much reboot and try a second time. Just closing down the site doesn't work.  I thought is was my computer but maybe not.

The issue I see is that (sometimes) if I have posted anything, or (always) if I have written a post and then not posted it, whenever I try to post again in the same thread, the old post is still inside my posting window. What I do is to simply delete it and write the new post. 

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

The issue I see is that (sometimes) if I have posted anything, or (always) if I have written a post and then not posted it, whenever I try to post again in the same thread, the old post is still inside my posting window. What I do is to simply delete it and write the new post. 

Same thing for me. I had written a response to something, maybe a week ago, but decided not to post it. It shows up every time I DO want to post. Like Old guy, I have to delete it in order to type the new comments. (As I had to do here again.)