RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

I wonder if Stu reads the board?

After visiting St. Louis University, @Hasahn22 will not make decision until visiting UMass, UNLV, according to his coach Tony Bergeron.

Haha! Nicely done Stu! That's all you have to do. Act like other beat writers. We don't need long essays on recruiting, just little updates and tidbits would be nice. That's not asking too much.

37 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Keith Williams committed to Cincinnati. SLU offered, not sure the interest level or the level of recruitment for Williams.

Very little chatter about SLU re: Williams since the time of our offer. SMU was the most recent to get involved heavily. He had a lot of A10 and Big East offers and interest. He's a good scorer but not a great shooter. UC has been offensively challenged in recent years, but they like big guards like him who can defend.

On 10/4/2016 at 8:19 AM, TaLBErt said:

Have you heard any new news on French? Please don't stop posting.

I can tell you this (though not regarding French)-- and again, PLEASE, no bed wetting.  But it is from the same, very inside source...

Evidently, there is another "top 100" recruit for 2017 -- his words, not mine -- that is on the verge, or at least very, very, serious, about SLU.  The name was not given to me, sorry, so don't ask. 

The reason I'm posting this tidbit is to ask Pistol or anyone:  i wonder who this might be??  Yes, I know French is up there.  But my source was mentioning another unnamed top 100 guy...

9 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

According to Twitter, French's official visit to UMass is starting today. That's surprising that it's not over the weekend like most official visits are.

He must not care about UMASS

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He must not care about UMASS

He goes to school close to UMass;  he has been to the school many times and is friends with some of the players.  He does not need to "visit" UMass in the sense of learning about the school or the environment.  I am sure he can learn more about the program, coaches and such with a visit but he knows about the school.

French's prep school is like 15-20 minutes from UMass. He's been there a bunch. There's not much left for him to see. If he's going to visit UNLV, hopefully that happens soon so we can get a decision.

30 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I can tell you this (though not regarding French)-- and again, PLEASE, no bed wetting.  But it is from the same, very inside source...

Evidently, there is another "top 100" recruit for 2017 -- his words, not mine -- that is on the verge, or at least very, very, serious, about SLU.  The name was not given to me, sorry, so don't ask. 

The reason I'm posting this tidbit is to ask Pistol or anyone:  i wonder who this might be??  Yes, I know French is up there.  But my source was mentioning another unnamed top 100 guy...

Tilmon... jumping off the Illini sinking ship? Or your use of the word verge could be a clue.

There are not a lot of uncommitted players on the ESPN Top 100 list, but Verge and Eastern are on there. 

8 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

He goes to school close to UMass;  he has been to the school many times and is friends with some of the players.  He does not need to "visit" UMass in the sense of learning about the school or the environment.  I am sure he can learn more about the program, coaches and such with a visit but he knows about the school.

I was kidding. 

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

Tilmon... jumping off the Illini sinking ship? Or your use of the word verge could be a clue.

There are not a lot of uncommitted players on the ESPN Top 100 list, but Verge and Eastern are on there. 

O, or he could be talking about Alonzo Verge #77 on ESPN top 100

38 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

If we're talking top 100, the names that jump out are Tilmon, Verge, and Eastern. In the 100-150 range are names like French, Douglas, and Wheeler.

Tilmon: This is the one we heard when Goodwin committed, that he'd decommit from Illinois and follow him. Didn't happen right away, and he denied it. I guess it's still possible but unlikely.

Verge: We've never offered and aside from the fact he ran with the Eagles, there wasn't much to link interest between SLU and Verge, either. He's also transferred high schools like a half dozen times (he's supposedly being cleared to play at Thornton this year), so there are eligibility concerns. I doubt it's him.

Eastern: He's got the whole Big Ten all over him, with Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue looking like the strongest. He plays right by Northwestern. Mizzou is coming on strong. Xavier is involved. I can't believe we haven't seen a finalist list, but he's taken some visits and should be close to naming a few, if not committing outright. SLU hasn't been mentioned at all since Crews' staff offered. It's not him.

Douglas: He's a Memphis kid with an offer from the local program now. Tubby likes him. TCU and several others are also involved here. Lot of SEC attention. No indication which way he's leaning.

Wheeler: We offered several months ago, but I haven't seen our name linked to him since then. Pitt, Purdue, Creighton, Arkansas, and a few others seem to be the most involved at this point. Lot of Big East and ACC attention at the moment. It's probably not him.

Mack and Turner are not top-100 names; probably in the 150-200 range, if the lists kept going.

We've offered Gunn, Hollingsworth, Hollowell, Coleman-Lands, Joiner, and Walker, but I don't see us very much in play on any of those names at the moment. Scanning the Interest list names, I don't see any top-100 level players except maybe David Sloan.

Could he be talking about the new offer, Haase? His name doesn't show up in rankings, but as an international player who's moved around a bit, it makes sense that he wouldn't. He's arguably a fringe top-100 talent and offers from Louisville and Mizzou do nothing to dispell that notion.

If the rumor is true and I had to guess, I'd say it's a name we're not tracking yet.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

If we're talking top 100, the names that jump out are Tilmon, Verge, and Eastern. In the 100-150 range are names like French, Douglas, and Wheeler.

Tilmon: This is the one we heard when Goodwin committed, that he'd decommit from Illinois and follow him. Didn't happen right away, and he denied it. I guess it's still possible but unlikely.

Verge: We've never offered and aside from the fact he ran with the Eagles, there wasn't much to link interest between SLU and Verge, either. He's also transferred high schools like a half dozen times (he's supposedly being cleared to play at Thornton this year), so there are eligibility concerns. I doubt it's him.

Eastern: He's got the whole Big Ten all over him, with Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue looking like the strongest. He plays right by Northwestern. Mizzou is coming on strong. Xavier is involved. I can't believe we haven't seen a finalist list, but he's taken some visits and should be close to naming a few, if not committing outright. SLU hasn't been mentioned at all since Crews' staff offered. It's not him.

Douglas: He's a Memphis kid with an offer from the local program now. Tubby likes him. TCU and several others are also involved here. Lot of SEC attention. No indication which way he's leaning.

Wheeler: We offered several months ago, but I haven't seen our name linked to him since then. Pitt, Purdue, Creighton, Arkansas, and a few others seem to be the most involved at this point. Lot of Big East and ACC attention at the moment. It's probably not him.

Mack and Turner are not top-100 names; probably in the 150-200 range, if the lists kept going.

We've offered Gunn, Hollingsworth, Hollowell, Coleman-Lands, Joiner, and Walker, but I don't see us very much in play on any of those names at the moment. Scanning the Interest list names, I don't see any top-100 level players except maybe David Sloan.

Could he be talking about the new offer, Haase? His name doesn't show up in rankings, but as an international player who's moved around a bit, it makes sense that he wouldn't. He's arguably a fringe top-100 talent and offers from Louisville and Mizzou do nothing to dispell that notion.

If the rumor is true and I had to guess, I'd say it's a name we're not tracking yet.

I'd guess Turner. Visited last weekend. could argue close to Top 100 based on recent offers.

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Did this source have any follow up on the French visit?

20 hours ago, ACE said:

Haha! Nicely done Stu! That's all you have to do. Act like other beat writers. We don't need long essays on recruiting, just little updates and tidbits would be nice. That's not asking too much.

I'll say this again for my annual rant and hope not to have to repeat it too often.

Stu is not our "beat writer." He's the member of the sports staff who counts SLU among about a dozen other duties. Since September 1 he's written 28 articles, some short, some fairly long, including the NHRA, a bunch of college football stories including previews of all the mousefart local teams, a news story on the Sports Commission -- and, oh, yeah, most of the game stories for the final week of the Cardinals season. And six SLU stories. 

So cut him some slack if he didn't write, post or retweet anything about Pepe LePew making his official visit or Ford eating at Ted Drewes for the first time. You certainly would if you understand what cranking out 28 articles really means. 

56 minutes ago, bonwich said:

So cut him some slack if he didn't write, post or retweet anything about Pepe LePew making his official visit or Ford eating at Ted Drewes for the first time. You certainly would if you understand what cranking out 28 articles really means. 

Didn't realize the French Point Guard LePew visited. He is a little short, but man can he raise a stink on the fast break. I wonder if he found "l'amour" of his visit.

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

I'll say this again for my annual rant and hope not to have to repeat it too often.

Stu is not our "beat writer." He's the member of the sports staff who counts SLU among about a dozen other duties. Since September 1 he's written 28 articles, some short, some fairly long, including the NHRA, a bunch of college football stories including previews of all the mousefart local teams, a news story on the Sports Commission -- and, oh, yeah, most of the game stories for the final week of the Cardinals season. And six SLU stories. 

Stu is likely in a similar situation as most writers (I won't call them beat writers) in the A-10. Brian Batko for example covers Duquesne basketball, along with high school sports and a variety of low profile sports story for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He finds the time to provide tweets regarding Duquesne recruiting, similar to the one Stu provided from French's high school coach. More of that from Stu would be a big step in the right direction.