Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

ACE:  got it.  I'd surely argue with you -- all the help would be appreciated if it came our way.  Of course, one could debate if there is a demand for such topics and if that demand is large enough that it warrants such a pursuit and coverage.  Items on  this board are likely germane to our issue-public.  Don't know if that would amount to anything regarding sales for PD content or papers.  Only sales would translate into making it worth their time and effort. 

I still say the best coverage was back in the Globe-Democrat days with Bob Broegh (rhymes with Bob Vague) and then when Dave Dorr was in his prime. 

I tried to go to that "Gopher Intel" site, they also did a post-French report.  But it was paid access.   I think such a prospect ---where one of us does it for money -- is about the best recourse.  But we'd need "insider" status and the subscriptions would have to pay the living expenses and freight.  I just don't think the demand is there. Pistol does a good job with listings, but in-depth is a long way off.  Nate and Brian tried otherwise and failed, right? 

I'm with you but just don't see it happening.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

ACE:  got it.  I'd surely argue with you -- all the help would be appreciated if it came our way.  Of course, one could debate if there is a demand for such topics and if that demand is large enough that it warrants such a pursuit and coverage.  Items on  this board are likely germane to our issue-public.  Don't know if that would amount to anything regarding sales for PD content or papers.  Only sales would translate into making it worth their time and effort. 

I still say the best coverage was back in the Globe-Democrat days with Bob Broegh (rhymes with Bob Vague) and then when Dave Dorr was in his prime. 

I tried to go to that "Gopher Intel" site, they also did a post-French report.  But it was paid access.   I think such a prospect ---where one of us does it for money -- is about the best recourse.  But we'd need "insider" status and the subscriptions would have to pay the living expenses and freight.  I just don't think the demand is there. Pistol does a good job with listings, but in-depth is a long way off.  Nate and Brian tried otherwise and failed, right? 

I could buy the demand debate if I didn't see recruiting blurbs in free publications covering fellow A-10 programs... URI, Richmond and I've even seen Duquesne recruiting info in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (none of these exactly high profile programs). I'm not expecting SLU recruiting news to drive sales, but Stu delivers a LOT of SLU-related content that also does not drive sales. And some of it, even as a SLU fan, I have no interest in. If you were to rank the top topics that a fan base of a college team want covered (pre-game stories, post-game stories, etc.) recruiting would be in the Top 5. To largely ignore it makes little sense. It's a case of not knowing your audience.

-I was coming at the recruiting article hope from the aspect of the PD needing content since the Cardinals did't make the playoffs so while still extensive coverage it will be reduced from a playoff season, from my acquaintances not many are interested in the Rams and the Blues haven't started the regular season yet

-there have to be some articles between the ads

23 minutes ago, ACE said:

I could buy the demand debate if I didn't see recruiting blurbs in free publications covering fellow A-10 programs... URI, Richmond and I've even seen Duquesne recruiting info in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (none of these exactly high profile programs). I'm not expecting SLU recruiting news to drive sales, but Stu delivers a LOT of SLU-related content that also does not drive sales. And some of it, even as a SLU fan, I have no interest in. If you were to rank the top topics that a fan base of a college team want covered (pre-game stories, post-game stories, etc.) recruiting would be in the Top 5. To largely ignore it makes little sense. It's a case of not knowing your audience.

+1

I just think it makes us look unsupported in the recruit's eyes. Maybe they don't care, but who doesn't like seeing their name in the newspaper?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

The Globe, Bob Broegh and Dave Dorr brings back some old time memories, my parents were friends with the Dorr's.

SLU will get better press at home if the basketball team improves and games are selling out.

If coach Majerus was still alive and was able to keep hometown guys like Jason Tatum at home then I believe it would be different.

28 minutes ago, CBFan said:

The Globe, Bob Broegh and Dave Dorr brings back some old time memories, my parents were friends with the Dorr's.

SLU will get better press at home if the basketball team improves and games are selling out.

If coach Majerus was still alive and was able to keep hometown guys like Jason Tatum at home then I believe it would be different.

Bob Broeg (that is the correct spelling) worked for the Post, not the Globe. I'm pretty sure Dave Dorr did also.

The Globe had Bob Burnes and others.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

K-State has been involved pretty much from the start, and arguably the most aggressively of all his suitors from start to finish. They earned it. Xavier came on strong late. DePaul was said to also be pushing. Marquette wants another PF, but reportedly cooled on Stockard in the past several weeks in favor of a few others - and now we see them head-to-head on French.

We need to outwork K-State on the 2018 kids they're recruiting - Gordon, Ramey, and Watson (well, at least the two who may be interested). KSU has 2 STL kids on the roster (DJ Johnson, a senior, and Xavier Sneed, a freshman), one committed, and several more in the recruiting pipeline.

As you said earlier, I'm still a bit mystified by Stockard's relative lack of interest from SLU, Mizzou, and Illinois. Such a quiet recruitment for a Big 12 commit who could've ended up in a power conference for football, too.

Well said.  Very informative as well. SLU, Missouri, and Illinois all seemed to have other kids on the radar ahead of Stockard.  K State was VERY aggressive as they are now with the 2018 targets locally. It will be interesting to watch as Ford competes with Illinois and K State for local kids.  I heard SLU had interest in Mario McKinney in the 2019 class. He's a target of DePaul and K State as well.

6 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Well said.  Very informative as well. SLU, Missouri, and Illinois all seemed to have other kids on the radar ahead of Stockard.  K State was VERY aggressive as they are now with the 2018 targets locally. It will be interesting to watch as Ford competes with Illinois and K State for local kids.  I heard SLU had interest in Mario McKinney in the 2019 class. He's a target of DePaul and K State as well.

Are you familiar with the current Vashon kids? What can you tell us about that group?

41 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Are you familiar with the current Vashon kids? What can you tell us about that group?

They have a very talented roster.  Koray Gilbert 2017 6'4 Guard.  He's a late bloomer.  Left handed shooter who's very athletic.  I think he will have a good year.  Joe Reece 2018.  6'7-6'8.  Wing player...this will be a big year in his devolpment.  Not sure yet on the next level if he is a SF or stretch 4.  Mario McKinney 2019 6'2..right now Combo Guard. High energy,  athletic... Explosive in the open court.  Great rebounder. Needs work on his 3pt shot but it is improving.  They also have a nice freshman class which includes a 6'4 and 6'5.  Both wing players.  All of them will be D1 players.  

4 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Bob Broeg (that is the correct spelling) worked for the Post, not the Globe. I'm pretty sure Dave Dorr did also.

thnx+1 the misspelling of his name hurt my eyes but was too lazy to google correct spelling. Both Bob's were great. looked Burnes up in phone book once when roommates were arguing about something and we called him and he answered and was very nice about it. imagine calling Bernie

4 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I remember occasionally seeing those guys at the Missouri Bar and Grille on Tucker, drinking a late lunch.

20 hours ago, Taj79 said:

By the way, was French the guy Doc. B. guaranteed a signing of some ten days or so ago?

Just a quick response for Taj and the other reading-challenged contributors here:

No, not so much.  No guarantee, but I do praise your wild imagination.   Stupid stuff like this really inspires me to continue contributing here.

What I did say, just from memory and not even taking the time to go back and quote it directly:  I heard from someone who really does know the situation that it was looking very good and we were very close on French.  Blame that person, not me; unless you want to blame me for sharing what I heard (hearsay); but if that is the case I will just keep those things private in the future.  By the way, this person is about as inside as you can get.  And no, there was no mention of any "guarantee."

I think I even warned readers:  don't pee your pants, and take it for what it's worth.  Taj: confession time:  did just a tiny,  little bit leak out and stain your khakis??

4 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Just a quick response for Taj and the other reading-challenged contributors here:

No, not so much.  No guarantee, but I do praise your wild imagination.   Stupid stuff like this really inspires me to continue contributing here.

What I did say, just from memory and not even taking the time to go back and quote it directly:  I heard from someone who really does know the situation that it was looking very good and we were very close on French.  Blame that person, not me; unless you want to blame me for sharing what I heard (hearsay); but if that is the case I will just keep those things private in the future.  By the way, this person is about as inside as you can get.  And no, there was no mention of any "guarantee."

I think I even warned readers:  don't pee your pants, and take it for what it's worth.  Taj: confession time:  did just a tiny,  little bit leak out and stain your khakis??

Have you heard any new news on French? Please don't stop posting.

15 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Dave Dorr worked for the post.

I listened to both Bob's on the old KMOX sports open line shows.

When the SLU Basketball team wins consistently and getting a seat to watch the basketball team is the toughest ticket to find in this town then the post will cover recruiting visits among many other topics associated with the basketball team.

On 9/21/2016 at 5:55 PM, DoctorB said:

I don't want anyone peeing their pants on this:  but I've heard from someone who really knows about this guy: 

don't be surprised if we get a commit soon.  just sayin' and take it for what it's worth.  Source tells me we have a very good inside track on French, and he would be a perfect complement for Goodwin...

Doc B, found your post.  You are correct. No money back guarantee.

(How do the Brebeuf Braves look this year?)

Felipe Haase

C, 6-10, 250

Osomo, Chile (Miami Christian School, FL)

Offers: SLU, Louisville, Mizzou, South Florida, Colorado State, Idaho, Portland.

Interest: Georgia Tech, Indiana, Purdue, South Carolina.

Latest News: Haase decommitted from Colorado State in September, picking up high interest and offers from several schools since.

Scouting Report: Haase is a skilled big man who played very well for his native Chile in the FIBA Americas U-18 tournament this summer. He has nice length and can stretch the floor with his jump shot, playing well off screens.

21 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Per VC, Felipe Haase has received an offer from SLU. 6'9 PF/C from Chile. Not sure if this says anything about French.

I'm not, either. He's a much different player than French, from what I can tell. He's listed at 6-10, 250 in most places now and seems to be a true center. Since reopening his recruitment, he's heard from SLU, Louisville, Mizzou, South Florida, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Purdue, and South Carolina. The first four have offered.

I don't see this as an either-or situation with French. I actually was wondering why we hadn't seen any offers for legit post players in the 2017 class.