Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Too quiet.....don't like it. Like to hear something from the recruits.

I think the PD not covering this young man coming to town is a YUUUUUGE miss.

Why couldn't the local press be there to supply some fluff and hype?

Updates on offers:

LSU was out to see William Douglas.

Nojel Eastern said his Michigan State visit was "very good".

Antwan Walker has become a priority for Buzz Williams and Virginia Tech. He will take his first official visit to Georgetown on October 14-16; he has visited numerous times already.

Purdue offered Aaron Wheeler.

Keith Williams visited Dayton this weekend.

56 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I think the PD not covering this young man coming to town is a YUUUUUGE miss.

Why couldn't the local press be there to supply some fluff and hype?

-I'm going with Stu got French's contact info at practice and will have an interview on his return home as you might not get the best take on things while still on the visit.......that's what I'm going with and this is requiring a huge degree of hope :(

-prove my hope well founded, Stu

44 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm going with Stu got French's contact info at practice and will have an interview on his return home as you might not get the best take on things while still on the visit.......that's what I'm going with and this is requiring a huge degree of hope :(

-prove my hope well founded, Stu

Do we have any actual news on the visit?

Why would you expect the PD to cover SLU recruiting to the point of doing a story on this kid or any other kid visiting outside of some local, 5-star kid (Tatum, Hughes, Beal, Lee, McElmore)???? 

Actual news on the visit doesn't exist ...... because no matter the source, it would be speculation.  The facts are these:  Hasahn French, a potential recruit to the Billiken freshman class of 2017-18, visited SLU on an official recruiting trip this past weekend.  French, a 6' 7" forward, is from Middletown, NY and plays his high school ball at Commonwealth Academy.  Anything else is subjective .... visit went well, visit did not go well, he loved it here, he hated, it, etc., etc.  The only thing official there would have to likely come from the kid or SLU, and I doubt SLU would tip their hand in terms of such.

Right now, I'm all for young Mr. French becoming a Billiken and really hope it happens.  But didn't Grandy Glaze have a 3.3 rating too?

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Levi Stockard committed to Kansas State.

K-State has been involved pretty much from the start, and arguably the most aggressively of all his suitors from start to finish. They earned it. Xavier came on strong late. DePaul was said to also be pushing. Marquette wants another PF, but reportedly cooled on Stockard in the past several weeks in favor of a few others - and now we see them head-to-head on French.

We need to outwork K-State on the 2018 kids they're recruiting - Gordon, Ramey, and Watson (well, at least the two who may be interested). KSU has 2 STL kids on the roster (DJ Johnson, a senior, and Xavier Sneed, a freshman), one committed, and several more in the recruiting pipeline.

As you said earlier, I'm still a bit mystified by Stockard's relative lack of interest from SLU, Mizzou, and Illinois. Such a quiet recruitment for a Big 12 commit who could've ended up in a power conference for football, too.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Why would you expect the PD to cover SLU recruiting to the point of doing a story on this kid or any other kid visiting outside of some local, 5-star kid (Tatum, Hughes, Beal, Lee, McElmore)???? 

Actual news on the visit doesn't exist ...... because no matter the source, it would be speculation.  The facts are these:  Hasahn French, a potential recruit to the Billiken freshman class of 2017-18, visited SLU on an official recruiting trip this past weekend.  French, a 6' 7" forward, is from Middletown, NY and plays his high school ball at Commonwealth Academy.  Anything else is subjective .... visit went well, visit did not go well, he loved it here, he hated, it, etc., etc.  The only thing official there would have to likely come from the kid or SLU, and I doubt SLU would tip their hand in terms of such.

Right now, I'm all for young Mr. French becoming a Billiken and really hope it happens.  But didn't Grandy Glaze have a 3.3 rating too?

Because beat writers of other programs often do Q&As after recruits visit. In fact, one was recently done from another school following a visit from French. It would be nice, but certainly not expecting one from Stu.

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Who did that? 

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, and they have plenty of "real" sports news to cover as well. They did a Q&A following French's visit to Marquette.

This isn't rocket science.

6 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, and they have plenty of "real" sports news to cover as well. They did a Q&A following French's visit to Marquette.

This isn't rocket science.

Stu Durando (sorry Bonwich if he is a friend) is horrible. 

Thanks.  I read it.  It said nothing, just a bunch of what I did for my Marquette vacation.  Vacation at Bernie's with Wojo.  This dude's cool.  We are family.  Talking to Wojo. Milwaukee has a beach. 

So are you advocating that the PD should be a much larger proponent in assisting in our recruiting process?

Are you saying that a PD article might hold some sway if we cut it out and mail to the kid after his visit?  We really want you?  The paper wrote a story on you?   

Just me trying to figure out the intent of a beat writer story because there Is nothinG viable in the MJS article on French.  Other than he wants to sign in November and will do so after visiting his five schools. 

By the way, was French the guy Doc. B. guaranteed a signing of some ten days or so ago?

51 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Thanks.  I read it.  It said nothing, just a bunch of what I did for my Marquette vacation.  Vacation at Bernie's with Wojo.  This dude's cool.  We are family.  Talking to Wojo. Milwaukee has a beach. 

So are you advocating that the PD should be a much larger proponent in assisting in our recruiting process?

Are you saying that a PD article might hold some sway if we cut it out and mail to the kid after his visit?  We really want you?  The paper wrote a story on you?   

Just me trying to figure out the intent of a beat writer story because there Is nothinG viable in the MJS article on French.  Other than he wants to sign in November and will do so after visiting his five schools. 

By the way, was French the guy Doc. B. guaranteed a signing of some ten days or so ago?

Not advocating "assisting" but simply do stories of interest to SLU fans. Recruiting certainly seems to be a very popular topic on this board, yet our beat writer rarely covers it in the way a lot of other beat writers do. 

1 minute ago, Westy03 said:

Regarding French, he mentioned in the past that he wants to take all of his official visits which means he still has two more to go.  It might be a while before he makes a decision.  

This is really what I am looking for... No need to get worked up as of now yet. I'm sure Ford and Co. will keep the pedal to the metal.

22 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Is the demand just not there for Billiken basketball recruiting information? It would be really nice to have an individual providing content for Billiken basketball fans regarding recruiting.

This is probably the biggest driver. They haven't really given us a 100% dedicated beat writer in a while; Timmerman and Durando always are being pulled by other responsibilities. So I've never really expected them to go as deep as recruiting news.

It seems like the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel publishes columns when recruits come to Marquette on official visits. Usually the Friday before or Monday after. There's usually not a lot of information, but the blurbs are nice nonetheless. Still, I don't see that happening in STL anytime soon.