Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slusam said:

Mark Gottfried, NC State head coach, is visiting Thomas Allen tomorrow.

As Allen is from Garner NC, which is basically a suburb or Raleigh, the trip won't be long.  It's the same old story - does a kid want to stay home or go away to school.  If he wants to stay home, it will be NC State.

Per Verbal Commits, NC State has offers out to three other shooting guards, all ranked higher than Allen.

I wouldn't read too much into Allen moving his NC State visit to this weekend. He was going to visit there anyway. This makes all of his visits on consecutive weekends; it sounds like he just wants to come to a decision sooner. It shouldn't affect our standing - positive or negative - regardless.

NC State's coach has brought in top 20 classes 4 of the last 5 years. As long as Gottfried continues to recruit like a madman, he isn't going anywhere.  I hope Allen understands that Gottfried is already recruiting over him. That's just life in the ACC.

VCU usually brings in the highest rated class in the A10 and they seldom break into the top 40.  A top 150 kid in our league is akin to a top 30 kid in the ACC. They're not guaranteed successful college careers but the odds are in their favor.

Stay home or go away to SLU.  If I was him I would stay home, but everyone is different.  Hopefully he wants to see the big city life of St. Louis (that has small town charm!). And of course, playing time matters.  Also, he can be on a SLU team that can compete for titles or a middle of the pack ACC team.

Not completely on topic, but each year it seems like it becomes tougher and tougher to compete with the elite programs for players. I guess if it's against the rules to pay players you might as well give them a nice place to stay during their time on campus.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/look-you-wont-believe-kansas-glitzy-new-dorm-for-basketball-players/

16 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Not completely on topic, but each year it seems like it becomes tougher and tougher to compete with the elite programs for players. I guess if it's against the rules to pay players you might as well give them a nice place to stay during their time on campus.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/look-you-wont-believe-kansas-glitzy-new-dorm-for-basketball-players/

Pathetic. Not b/c it's they think they have found a way around the letter of the law (debatable, and certainly violated the spirit), but b/c it's such a waste of taxpayer money. Ensures the Kansas basketball team will always be ranked well ahead of its academic ranking.

3 hours ago, William Iken said:

Pathetic. Not b/c it's they think they have found a way around the letter of the law (debatable, and certainly violated the spirit), but b/c it's such a waste of taxpayer money. Ensures the Kansas basketball team will always be ranked well ahead of its academic ranking.

Clearly, you missed this sentence:

The building cost $12 million, all of it reportedly raised in private donations.

William Iken I think the chosen one has lost sight of the fact that we have been competing much better and obtaining higher ranking players than we used to do before Ford became our HC. I do not think we are giving them any money to come here, but the fact is that we are attracting more higher ranking players into SLU than we used to. I think this is good. 

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

William Iken I think the chosen one has lost sight of the fact that we have been competing much better and obtaining higher ranking players than we used to do before Ford became our HC. I do not think we are giving them any money to come here, but the fact is that we are attracting more higher ranking players into SLU than we used to. I think this is good. 

You took that from me linking an article about the new dorm for basketball players at KU? You're an odd bird (assuming these posts are real).

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I am not in the "know" but lots of good vibes regarding the French recruitment. 

Also, Umass was a finalist for a Top 100 guard who chose V-Tech instead. Depending on how you look at it (Umass no longer as attractive) could be good news for the Bills. 

It probably has no or tiny influence on French but if it were to have any influence it would be negative for SLU.  UMass has no scholarships to give and while they will make room for French and likely he has been told as much, if Bede had signed for UMass it would have been much harder to run off two players than one.