Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nebraska is pulling out all the stops.  Tyronn Lue is scheduled to be in town for Thomas Allen's visit this weekend.

There is a person who I believe went to SLU that Allen Iverson also thanked in his HOF speech.  Maybe we can get him to show up for Allen's visit.

Not to mention, Nebraska beat Oregon in a pretty good game.

Akenten's commitment is an interesting wrench. He's a guy the Crews staff recruited, and Ford had reached out to since taking over, but we hadn't offered yet. I'm not sure what that does for Allen - no doubt Nebraska would still want a player of his caliber, but he may be thinking about minutes. Allen's the better player, though, and a different type (he's a shorter 6-2 sharpshooter and Akenten is more of a 6-6 wing). No reason they can't coexist there.

So Nebraska gave him the best visit he could get, no doubt. Still, we have to trust Ford and his process. He appears to be really, really impressing players and their families when they show up on campus.

He will visit Ohio State the same weekend Nojel Eastern is scheduled to be there. They host Indiana in football.

On 9/15/2016 at 0:00 PM, majerus mojo said:

And Richmond is a s***hole so he should probably cross them out also 

Not related to the topic or comment, but Richmond is a total dump. That being said, I think UR is the most beautiful campus I have ever been on, probably has something to do with it being tucked in the outskirts of the city.

I highly recommend stopping by if you ever find yourself in town or to see a Bills game. I think SLU has a beautiful campus, and I have seen many of the schools people consider the most gorgeous campuses: Virginia, Notre Dame, Duke, U of San Fransisco, SMU... But Richmond tops them all for me, it was completely unexpected. Gorgeous collegiate gothic buildings that all circle a lake in the middle of campus. Their student union actually serves as a bridge that crosses the lake. Its all pretty beautiful.

27 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Not related to the topic or comment, but Richmond is a total dump. That being said, I think UR is the most beautiful campus I have ever been on, probably has something to do with it being tucked in the outskirts of the city.

I highly recommend stopping by if you ever find yourself in town or to see a Bills game. I think SLU has a beautiful campus, and I have seen many of the schools people consider the most gorgeous campuses: Virginia, Notre Dame, Duke, U of San Fransisco, SMU... But Richmond tops them all for me, it was completely unexpected. Gorgeous collegiate gothic buildings that all circle a lake in the middle of campus. Their student union actually serves as a bridge that crosses the lake. Its all pretty beautiful.

All of this.

Richmond was the school I decided not to go to at the last minute, picking SLU instead. It's really an amazing campus, really nice atmosphere. They also recently did renovations on their gym to make it a better gameday atmosphere. It's right on campus, too.

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

All of this.

Richmond was the school I decided not to go to at the last minute, picking SLU instead. It's really an amazing campus, really nice atmosphere. They also recently did renovations on their gym to make it a better gameday atmosphere. It's right on campus, too.

Was that where you stayed with those fine Americans who were student managers for one of the women's athletic programs?

Some 2017 updates:

Elijah Childs received visits from Indiana State (offer), Florida Gulf Coast, and Northern Kentucky. He visited Central Arkansas.

Marquette got commitments from forwards Jamal Cain and Theo John since Hasahn French visited. That could be good news for SLU (and the other 4 left on his list). French still has Minnesota and SLU visits scheduled (9/23 and 9/30, respectively), with the other two visits TBD. His Minnesota ties run fairly deep; his HS coach knows both Richard Pitino and Kimani Jones from back in the day.

Taveion Hollingsworth had a good visit to West Virginia, said he felt at home. He said most schools at this point are recruiting him as a combo guard. He said Wright State, Murray State, and Winthrop are communicating the most, with WVU and Cincinnati coming on strong lately. He said he's "cut off" some programs at this point, and plans to take more visits but wasn't specific about either.

Mizzou extended an offer to Elijah Joiner. He visited Illinois State, with Iowa State and UAB coming up. I would expect Mizzou and possibly Cincinnati to round out his five official visits.

Isaac Kante picked up an offer from K-State and has been visited this month by Xavier, Seton Hall, Rutgers, and UConn. The official Twitter account of his HS said his recruiting process is still "wide open".

I don't have the schedule, but Anthony Mack is visiting SLU, Memphis, and Wyoming. Duquesne is his only official visit in the books so far and they continue to show high interest. I would bet that Mack visits along with Blair Academy teammate Matt Turner, who will visit SLU the first week of October. Turner's finalists are SLU, St. Joe's, GW, Pitt, VT, and Santa Clara.

Antwan Walker took an unofficial visit to Virginia Tech this weekend along with 17 (!) other recruits. He was the sole 2017 recruit, though. Georgetown still appears to be his leader.

Aaron Wheeler has had Creighton and Purdue out to visit recently.

26 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Was that where you stayed with those fine Americans who were student managers for one of the women's athletic programs?

Ha, that's right. Hard to believe I didn't go there after their stories of volunteering for road trips as managers for various women's teams.

17 hours ago, Pistol said:

Mizzou extended an offer to Elijah Joiner. He visited Illinois State, with Iowa State and UAB coming up. I would expect Mizzou and possibly Cincinnati to round out his five official visits.

With the CJ Roberts commitment, you can take Mizzou out of the race for Elijah Joiner and any of the other 2017 guards they were relatively in on (possible exception being a huge long-shot, Nojel Eastern).

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

With the CJ Roberts commitment, you can take Mizzou out of the race for Elijah Joiner and any of the other 2017 guards they were relatively in on (possible exception being a huge long-shot, Nojel Eastern).

I'd bet that Eastern is going Big Ten, with Michigan State, Ohio State, and Purdue looking like his big three.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Don't like Roberts commiting to mizzou. Seems to have a relationship with Watson and Gordon. 

It seems like it, and I don't like it, either. That said, Gordon clearly also has a relationship with Tate, and we had all but written him off as a possibility prior to Tate's hiring. We're very much in the mix for Watson. They had a good visit at Mizzou this weekend but there will be plenty more fun visits for these guys.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

It seems like it, and I don't like it, either. That said, Gordon clearly also has a relationship with Tate, and we had all but written him off as a possibility prior to Tate's hiring. We're very much in the mix for Watson. They had a good visit at Mizzou this weekend but there will be plenty more fun visits for these guys.

I don't know much about Tate's relationship with Gordon, but I thought I heard a while back (when he was at Mizzou) that the two Missouri 2018 recruits he had the best relationship with were Watson and the kid from Sikeston, Thatch (I am wondering if he kind of peaked). At the time Gordon seemed like a certainty to go to KU, but maybe that has changed a bit with some rumblings of him having a desire to stay local. It is interesting that the top St. Louis kids in 2018 don't play with the Eagles currently (Gordon, Ramey, and Watson) yet their program is still loaded. It is promising that Watson appears to be working out with Corey Frazier who is apparently signing SLU's praises now.

Is there any chance with Ramey? I had heard he had no interest in the local programs, but that was prior to Ford. I am really curious to see whether Ford can make us a legitimate player with him.