Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

29 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I get the football point but some kids don't care about that.  They would rather be at a school where the basketball program is king not a stepchild.  If going to a big school with football was important then why would you look at smaller basketball only schools?  I guess the kid could just covering all his bases but I would still think you still have a good shot at him.

Ford made the exact same point after taking the job. He said that there were some good recruits from big cities who didn't want to go to a small town like Stillwater when he was there. Big East/A-10 type schools are more appealing to those kids. The key is identifying them. Also, from Ford's previous A-10 experience, he seems to have a good handle on the types of kids SLU can realistically attract. This is the second time Allen is visiting, correct? Is this the kid Macon has a connection with? 

The kid will get three very different experiences from his visits. Who knows what is important to him. NC State is much closer to home, but maybe he wants to go further away and makes a good connection with our staff. Sounds like he would be a quality recruit. 

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some updates on the offer list:

We've already talked about Allen's three visits coming up: Nebraska, SLU, and NC State, in that order. Virginia Tech and Ohio State are still TBD.

French is on his Marquette visit this weekend. SLU and Minnesota are also scheduled. Indiana just offered yesterday; he had already trimmed his list to 13 but with 2 open visits, I'm not sure what this means.

Recruiting news has been quiet for Elijah Childs. I know he's playing football this fall, but that's about it.

Taveion Hollingsworth is taking his first official visit this weekend, to West Virginia. The Mountaineers have not yet offered.

Tray Hollowell is also taking his first official visit this weekend, this one to Eastern Kentucky.

Elijah Joiner's HS coach expects him to sign in November. Mizzou, Iowa State, Cincinnati, UAB, and Illinois State are all coming out to see him this weekend. He visited Illinois State already, and will see UAB and Iowa State this month.

Seton Hall, Rutgers, and UConn were out to Isaac Kante's HS this month to see him and a few teammates.

SLU and Wyoming are out to see Anthony Mack at Blair Academy this weekend. Mack has taken official visits to Duquesne and Wyoming so far. SLU and Memphis are also getting official visits. Georgia and Georgia Tech are showing more interest.

Nate Pierre-Louis is visiting Temple this weekend. Seton Hall, Purdue, and Vandy are his other scheduled visits and Georgia Tech offered this week and could be the fifth.

Keith Williams received an SMU offer. No word on visits or trimming his list yet.

Yes, Ace. This will be the second time in about a month that Allen has visited and he has been quoted saying he has a good relationship with Macon. After the first visit, he tweeted out that he enjoyed it and that it opened his eyes and changed his perspective. Hopefully that means we are real contenders to get him. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Some updates 

Taveion Hollingsworth is taking his first official visit this weekend, to West Virginia. The Mountaineers have not yet offered.

If he is a fan of seeing Brad Paisley in a parking lot it is over.  ?.

Nate Pierre-Louis is a nice get for Temple. I'm glad he finally committed. He's officially the longest-running SLU offer for the class of 2017; Crews' staff offered him relatively early on. I was getting tired of seeing his name, knowing that he had a ton of offers and activity and that SLU wasn't in the mix.

I'm glad we're at least talking to Stockard. But is it too little, too late?

We sure love the Blair Academy kids. I can confirm that these three are all better than Jolly, though.

(By the way, Blair Academy's Facebook page says, "St Louis offered Blair '18 Junub Char Chuol today. First of many HM offers for our young guard from Omaha, NE." They're calling us high major; perception is reality. We like Blair Academy.)

2 hours ago, slusam said:

I am wondering if the Stockard interest means they aren't as confident on landing Hasan French

I don't think so. They're much different players. Plus there's this:

He was on a visit to Marquette this weekend, so at first glance, it appears that he is referring to them. However, it could be one of his other schools that did something do "cut themselves" from his list. Or it could be totally unrelated. Minnesota is his next visit (9/23), followed by SLU the weekend after.

45 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Pistol, I was curious what's different about their games? I assumed French is more like a true low post player - uses his strength down low and gets rebounds. Is Stockard more of a perimeter player?

No, neither are really perimeter players. French isn't a true post player, though; has more versatility at forward than that and seems to be more comfortable facing the basket.

Stockard is listed at 6-8, 265, so he's much more of a traditional HS post player - although I think he looks a bit leaner on video and in photos. I'll need the help of others who have seen him - there honestly is way, way too little available on him for a guy with high-level offers - but my sense is that he's a traditional HS post player, starting at center for Vashon. But he doesn't quite have the height to guarantee he'll be a 5-man in college, so I'm curious to see how others project him; my guess would be more as a traditional big-bodied PF.

French is definitely leaner than that, about 6-7 and 230. He's got great arms for his frame and is a really strong rebounder and shot blocker, even if he is on the shorter end of his position. He was an early bloomer in terms of physical growth, so I think a lot of scouting reports from earlier in high school assumed he'd be more of a traditional big, whereas he's more versatile than that. He's worked to develop a mid-range jumper but is still more comfortable scoring at the rim, where he's a big-time dunker. The thing that stands out on film and in reports is that he's so, so aggressive at both ends. Because he grew early and got used to a big frame, he's more athletic than other big men his age, but he also plays like a smaller guy with a chip on his shoulder. Very, very high energy.

Honestly, I shouldn't have said "much different" but probably just emphasized that they're both solid targets but somewhat different. We still haven't offered Stockard, either. French strikes me as more of a Ford-type player, a guy who's a little bit of a matchup question mark at both ends but higher energy, a little more athletic, runs the floor a bit more. Hey, maybe Stockard really is plan B now that I've dug more into it. We don't have many other 2017 bigs offered at this point so he could be next.

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

No, neither are really perimeter players. French isn't a true post player, though; has more versatility at forward than that and seems to be more comfortable facing the basket.

Stockard is listed at 6-8, 265, so he's much more of a traditional HS post player - although I think he looks a bit leaner on video and in photos. I'll need the help of others who have seen him - there honestly is way, way too little available on him for a guy with high-level offers - but my sense is that he's a traditional HS post player, starting at center for Vashon. But he doesn't quite have the height to guarantee he'll be a 5-man in college, so I'm curious to see how others project him; my guess would be more as a traditional big-bodied PF.

French is definitely leaner than that, about 6-7 and 230. He's got great arms for his frame and is a really strong rebounder and shot blocker, even if he is on the shorter end of his position. He was an early bloomer in terms of physical growth, so I think a lot of scouting reports from earlier in high school assumed he'd be more of a traditional big, whereas he's more versatile than that. He's worked to develop a mid-range jumper but is still more comfortable scoring at the rim, where he's a big-time dunker. The thing that stands out on film and in reports is that he's so, so aggressive at both ends. Because he grew early and got used to a big frame, he's more athletic than other big men his age, but he also plays like a smaller guy with a chip on his shoulder. Very, very high energy.

Honestly, I shouldn't have said "much different" but probably just emphasized that they're both solid targets but somewhat different. We still haven't offered Stockard, either. French strikes me as more of a Ford-type player, a guy who's a little bit of a matchup question mark at both ends but higher energy, a little more athletic, runs the floor a bit more. Hey, maybe Stockard really is plan B now that I've dug more into it. We don't have many other 2017 bigs offered at this point so he could be next.

-if you had a choice it would be?? or another player at this position? 

-I like the description of playing with a chip on his shoulder, would seem to fit nicely with JGoodwin

-57 days until LOI's can be signed

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Pistol, I was curious what's different about their games? I assumed French is more like a true low post player - uses his strength down low and gets rebounds. Is Stockard more of a perimeter player?

French was one of the best rebounders in AAU this summer. He indeed uses his strength and explosive vertical to work the boards. He likes to face up and use his speed and ball handling to get to the basket. Stockard is a wide-body back to the basket player with quick feet down low and solid low post moves. Above average rebounder. Neither guy is much of a shooter outside of 10 feet.

37 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

French was one of the best rebounders in AAU this summer. He indeed uses his strength and explosive vertical to work the boards. He likes to face up and use his speed and ball handling to get to the basket. Stockard is a wide-body back to the basket player with quick feet down low and solid low post moves. Above average rebounder. Neither guy is much of a shooter outside of 10 feet.

Much more concise than my ramble about both of them.

French's jumper is definitely in the "in development" stage. I think he realizes that he'll be giving up a couple inches most nights in college, so he's trying to stretch his game.

I haven't seen either play enough to have a strong choice between the two, @Cowboy. I guess French appears to be the higher priority, and on paper seems to be a better fit for a Ford-coached team. So I'll go with him just for that reason. I like both of them, though.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Great stuff as always, Pistol. I really appreciate the recruiting information for provide for us. 

+1

Really appreciate it also.

I agree with Pistol.  I believe Stockard is Plan B with SLU.  Stockard is 6'8 250. He came into high school at 265.  Very mobile...great hands (can score with both).  Can face up and score off the dribble.  He has a jumper out to 15.  He just rarely shoots it...I think he will look to show it off this season.  I think it's to late in the game to offer him however. Xavier and K State are on him HEAVY.  

From the description of French,  he sounds like he could be a great addition to the roster.  Another high energy player to go with Goodwin.  

12 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

247 Sports seems to think French's decision will come down to SLU, Marquette and Minnesota, which are the three schools he's visited/visiting this month. One prediction on that site even has chosen SLU, although I know that doesn't always mean anything.

If we can beat out Marquette I like our chances.  Playing a handful of games where he lives never hurts.