RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Not 2017 related but it looks like Nolan Berry is on his third college 

Wow, how the mighty have fallen.  Berry was a consensus top 150 player, 3+ stars.  Shows you what those ratings mean. A quick search revealed Berry played in only 10 games last year for the Aggies, averaging 9.2 ppg and 4.0 rpg.  He apparently has knee issues.  And indeed he left the team this summer. Photo of Berry crushing Tatum.  Good thing we missed out on both, right?

Former De Smet Jesuit star Nolan Berry (center) battles for the ball in a 2012 matchup against rival Chaminade and Jayson Tatum. (Photo Credit Doug Miner)

19 hours ago, wgstl said:

But Goodwin will be in the NBA by the time Gordon gets on campus?

Goodwin is a 2017 recruit and Gordon is 2018, right?  I don't think anyone expects Goodwin to be a one and done player.  In fact, I think most people expect him to play 4 years at SLU, right?  He's a top 50 or 60 recruit not a top 10 like Tatum.  He is very talented, but not having typical NBA size I assume will hold him back.

19 hours ago, slu72 said:

Seems to me Tilmon may wait it out to see what happens to Groce at season's end. If Groce's canned he could then opt out w/o hurting anyone's feelings except Illini fans. But really I know less than nothing about this situation. It just appears he's committed to Groce and doesn't want to go back on his verbal.  

I highly doubt this will happen.  I suppose it could, but Tilmon will be pressured to sign a letter of intent to Illinois as soon as he can which I believe is in the fall.  Waiting out the season to sign would mean waiting until spring of his senior year of HS.  

Further, SLU will probably want to fill their other open scholarship in the fall.  Although presumably room could (would) be created for a player of Tilmon's caliber in the spring

51 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Goodwin is a 2017 recruit and Gordon is 2018, right?  I don't think anyone expects Goodwin to be a one and done player.  In fact, I think most people expect him to play 4 years at SLU, right?  He's a top 50 or 60 recruit not a top 10 like Tatum.  He is very talented, but not having typical NBA size I assume will hold him back.

I highly doubt this will happen.  I suppose it could, but Tilmon will be pressured to sign a letter of intent to Illinois as soon as he can which I believe is in the fall.  Waiting out the season to sign would mean waiting until spring of his senior year of HS.  

Further, SLU will probably want to fill their other open scholarship in the fall.  Although presumably room could (would) be created for a player of Tilmon's caliber in the spring

Isn't there some kind of rule that if the coach who recruited you is canned or leaves for whatever reason, the recruit is permitted to opt out of his LOI?

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Isn't there some kind of rule that if the coach who recruited you is canned or leaves for whatever reason, the recruit is permitted to opt out of his LOI?

No. It's up to the school you signed with. Schools often allow releases as a courtesy under these circumstances, but not always and they don't have to do so.

It should be a rule, even though the LOI is signed for the institution and not the coach.

Koby Thomas committed to Robert Morris. Had 3 A10 offers (SLU, VCU, Duquesne). He had planned to visit Tennessee, Rutgers, Temple, VCU, Arkansas, and Iona. I'm not sure what changed. Maybe he was just overselling himself.

We have 2 picks for the same class as Goodwin and all three will be freshman playing with the 3 transfers as juniors in 14 months? holy sh*t if he gets 2 more recruits anywhere near as good as JG we have a lot to look forward to. even if we totally suck this season we still have excitement of Ford wrap up 2 more studs.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yes, he is a 4 year guy.  I was kidding.

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Remember Josh Fisher. He had all kinds of trouble getting out of his LOI with Pepperdine.

5 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

With his only other official visits scheduled for Sept 30 and Oct 7 so far, it looks like we might be the first stop. It would be great if Ford could seal the deal before we makes those other trips.

Allen moved his Nebraska visit to Sept 16-18. He saved his NC State visit for last, Oct 28-30.

42 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Sounds like state is the team to beat?

I wouldn't write off Nebraska. New arena, great facilities overall, and he's going on a football weekend - vs. Oregon, no less. We have nothing to compete with that last part. We're in the mix, but this will be a battle.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I wouldn't write off Nebraska. New arena, great facilities overall, and he's going on a football weekend - vs. Oregon, no less. We have nothing to compete with that last part. We're in the mix, but this will be a battle.

We got straight cash, homie. 

I get the football point but some kids don't care about that.  They would rather be at a school where the basketball program is king not a stepchild.  If going to a big school with football was important then why would you look at smaller basketball only schools?  I guess the kid could just covering all his bases but I would still think you still have a good shot at him.

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I get the football point but some kids don't care about that.  They would rather be at a school where the basketball program is king not a stepchild.  If going to a big school with football was important then why would you look at smaller basketball only schools?  I guess the kid could just covering all his bases but I would still think you still have a good shot at him.

I've never been much of a college football fan myself - and now, less than ever - but I see where a lot of people get caught up in the pageantry. Having been to a Nebraska football game back in the late 90s when they were dominant, I totally get it in this case, too. A lot of kids like the overall athletic atmosphere of a place, even if football is #1.

That said, Nebraska is one of those places where football is so, so much #1 that basketball is a perpetual red headed stepchild. It doesn't help that the basketball program has never really gotten in gear. Even so, it'd take an unprecedented, sustained leap to greatness for Nebraska basketball to get even close to the attention football does.