Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

May just be drinking the koolaid but I don't think he would tell them that he was re considering even if he was.   If somebody ask you that question your not gonna deny to answer cause then your confirming that there could be a change/ something strange could happen.  The thought of a Tilmon and Goodwin backcourt is to much to handle.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The thought of a Tilmon and Goodwin backcourt is to much to handle.

It certainly is, because Tilmon is a 6'10" banger, ya dingus.  FBJT II is definitely coming to SLU, the only question is (gee whiz) who else is coming???

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

This is incredible. I guess now we gotta make sure East St. Louis doesn't fail him and he qualifies. If this does happen, I really can't wait to see how the Illini fans react.

Riiiight.  There are a few parties worried about that exact thing.  Jeremiah is a good kid...I hope he makes the right decision for him and not others.

Appreciate the info on available scholarships as well.  

Congrats to Stipanovich on his commitment ?

Obviously getting Tilmon would be amazing, but even if it doesn't happen, I think a "parlay" of Goodwin and French would still be outstanding. How often have we had a physical power forward who can dominate down low? Not often and it sounds like French could be that player. 

Wow, that was quick. 

French seems like a solid target. As others have mentioned, using a 4 at the 5 is less risky in the A10 than it was in the Big 12. 

Regarding Savon Goodman, and  why exactly he might want to come here... Maybe he thinks putting up big numbers for one year gets him into a better place professionally? Is he a fringe NBA guy even? Genuinely asking. 

And finally, let's get Tilmon here. Make it happen, Travis. Goodwin, Henriquez, Bess, Foreman, Tilmon. That's a team that can go deep. 

Edit: Definitely not (currently) an NBA prospect. 

Edited by Zink

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Regarding Savon Goodman, and  why exactly he might want to come here... Maybe he thinks putting up big numbers for one year gets him into a better place professionally? Is he a fringe NBA guy even? Genuinely asking.

The idea the Goodman may come to SLU comes from the assumption that he has some kind of relationship with current SLU assistant (former LaSalle assistant) Will Bailey.  Per Google, Goodman transferred to LaSalle as an immediately eligible grad-transfer, but dropped his classes over the summer and withdrew.  Presumably Goodman enjoys playing basketball and would benefit from getting an additional free year of education to do so, his assumed relationship with Bailey, promise of ample playing time, or lack of better options would be what draws him to SLU.

That being said, I may be missing something, but I fail to see much of a connection between Bailey and Goodman.  You have to draw the conclusion that Goodman left LaSalle because Bailey was no longer there to assume they have a relationship and it would be strong enough to draw him to SLU.  However, SLU hired Bailey on April 8th and it seems that Goodman didn't announce he was going to LaSalle until April 23.  In reality, Goodman is from Philly which is why he was going to LaSalle.  He started at UNLV, played one year, sat one year after transferring to AZ St. to play 2 years, transferred to LaSalle and then dropped summer classes.  Given that history, him leaving LaSalle seems like more of a personal thing than wanting to play basketball somewhere else.

Again, I may be missing something, but I would be fairly surprised if Goodman wound up at SLU.

On 8/17/2016 at 1:09 PM, RUBillsFan said:

The idea the Goodman may come to SLU comes from the assumption that he has some kind of relationship with current SLU assistant (former LaSalle assistant) Will Bailey.  Per Google, Goodman transferred to LaSalle as an immediately eligible grad-transfer, but dropped his classes over the summer and withdrew.  Presumably Goodman enjoys playing basketball and would benefit from getting an additional free year of education to do so, his assumed relationship with Bailey, promise of ample playing time, or lack of better options would be what draws him to SLU.

That being said, I may be missing something, but I fail to see much of a connection between Bailey and Goodman.  You have to draw the conclusion that Goodman left LaSalle because Bailey was no longer there to assume they have a relationship and it would be strong enough to draw him to SLU.  However, SLU hired Bailey on April 8th and it seems that Goodman didn't announce he was going to LaSalle until April 23.  In reality, Goodman is from Philly which is why he was going to LaSalle.  He started at UNLV, played one year, sat one year after transferring to AZ St. to play 2 years, transferred to LaSalle and then dropped summer classes.  Given that history, him leaving LaSalle seems like more of a personal thing than wanting to play basketball somewhere else.

Again, I may be missing something, but I would be fairly surprised if Goodman wound up at SLU.

Thanks for expanding on the timeline. This does make it seem like there is probably nothing to the rumor...

So it seems like French is definitely a top priority for '17, and I think he'd be a solid addition. He looks like quite the athlete from the highlights I've seen - the mythical werewolf power forward that we've always lusted after. Also he's a lefty, and we are so close to being able to play only lefties that I want this to happen.

Who is our other target though? One would think that it is another big of some sort. If Tilmon really is off the table (I'm still hoping he's not, mostly due to the fact that everything that could go right in the Ford-era thus far has), there aren't really that many real center options out there. So we'd probably get a project, or a 4 and just play him up a spot. Anyone else have a different take on the situation?

14 hours ago, Zink said:

Who is our other target though? One would think that it is another big of some sort. If Tilmon really is off the table (I'm still hoping he's not, mostly due to the fact that everything that could go right in the Ford-era thus far has), there aren't really that many real center options out there. So we'd probably get a project, or a 4 and just play him up a spot. Anyone else have a different take on the situation?

It sounds like our other target is definitely Tilmon. I don't think SLU views him as being off the table.

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Looks like an undersized SG at 6'1"/155 lbs, but I'll take anyone under the best shooters in the country moniker. Offers from NCST, NEB, TA&M, and X.

Appears the kid has some previous ties to Macon:

About the Billikens, Allen said, “St. Louis, I have known the coach since eighth grade. He was at Rutgers recruiting one of my teammates and we have stayed close ever since.”

3 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Looks like an undersized SG at 6'1"/155 lbs, but I'll take anyone under the best shooters in the country moniker. Offers from NCST, NEB, TA&M, and X.

Appears the kid has some previous ties to Macon:

About the Billikens, Allen said, “St. Louis, I have known the coach since eighth grade. He was at Rutgers recruiting one of my teammates and we have stayed close ever since.”

looks like he would be a good fit with goodwin. would be cool if he jumped into the top 100 after a big summer. 

A couple of quotes for the Illini board on Allen;

Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout 15m15 minutes ago One of the best shooters in the country, Thomas Allen, is on an unofficial to SLU today

We offered Thomas Allen at the end of June.

, 08:22 AM   #4081

FatGreg

If Allen ends up at SLU, he and Goodwin are going to be a big time scoring duo in the backcourt. Hate to say it, but they could start turning things around quickly at SLU (obviously a bad thing for UI from a future recruiting standpoint).