Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, is the practice of having more players committed for a season (over signing on paper) looked down upon in the current climate of mass transfers? I think most assume that we will have at least one transfer between now and next season, but I don't pay enough attention to know whether it is becoming common practice to be over the scholarship limit on paper prior to that actually happening. Obviously you have to get down to 13 at some point (I assume you can never have more than 13 scholarship players with eligibility on campus at one point in time), but with pretty much every program losing at least 1 player a year to transfer or jumping to the pros, you wouldn't think being over on paper prior to the spring would be a bad thing.

26 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Not doubting you, but why would a player transfer now? 

Because you are dealing with 20 year old kids.  Also, could it be that practicing with the three transfers for two months this summer they can see the writing on the wall.  They cannot measure up and will have no playing time in their last year(s) when the transfers become eligible and Goodwin and others come in.

1 minute ago, Billiken Bob said:

Because you are dealing with 20 year old kids.  Also, could it be that practicing with the three transfers for two months this summer they can see the writing on the wall.  They cannot measure up and will have no playing time in their last year(s) when the transfers become eligible and Goodwin and others come in.

BTW, there is nothing official yet, but school does start tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Tilmon is going back to East Side.  I heard rumblings today about him opening up his commitment as well.  

You're a little late to the party, but appreciate your info!

55 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Tilmon is going back to East Side.  I heard rumblings today about him opening up his commitment as well.  

This is incredible. I guess now we gotta make sure East St. Louis doesn't fail him and he qualifies. If this does happen, I really can't wait to see how the Illini fans react.

Well that was fun while it lasted:

http://www.bnd.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article96083367.html

Tilmon said he was as surprised as anyone when Goodwin last Friday announced he would play at St. Louis University instead. But that announcement had no influence on Tilmon's decision to go to East Side instead of Althoff, he said, nor will it cause him to reconsider his commitment to Illinois.