Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Just wait until Groce gets fired after this year. Then there will really be some nail biting going on there with Tillmon. 

Well if I understand the LOI situation correctly, once he signs it this Fall then IL would have to release him if he changes his mind and wants to go elsewhere.  If they do not then he has two options go to IL or Junior College.  This is what happened to Harrellson when he changed his mind about Western IL and wanted to come to SLU.  They would not release him so he had to go to Junior College for a year and we lost him to KY after supposedly Brad had been told that he was going to KY just to party and would sign with us when he returned.  Something happened in KY that changed his mind.

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well if I understand the LOI situation correctly, once he signs it this Fall then IL would have to release him if he changes his mind and wants to go elsewhere.  If they do not then he has two options go to IL or Junior College.  This is what happened to Harrellson when he changed his mind about Western IL and wanted to come to SLU.  They would not release him so he had to go to Junior College for a year and we lost him to KY after supposedly Brad had been told that he was going to KY just to party and would sign with us when he returned.  Something happened in KY that changed his mind.

Happens all the time when a coaching change occurs that a player tries to get out of his LOI. Most of the time a school will let him go and he won't have to sit out (think Ryan hollins back when Romar left). Sometimes a school won't release him and he has to sit a year at the new school (think josh Fisher when he came here). 

The josh harrelson example you gave isn't really applicable because he decided not to go to western Illinois because he had a strong senior year and realized he was a much better prospect than the level of his school choice. Had nothing to do with a coaching change. Not to mention, majerus was the coach at the time, not sodi.

3 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Some posters on the Illini boards say that Tilmon has "gone radio silent" with Groce. Sounds like bull****, but does anything think Tilmon is actually reconsidering his commitment? 

That would be a huge development. Right now it sounds like Tilmon is getting the full court press from SLU, so this would imply that maybe he is receptive to the idea now that Goodwin and Tate are at SLU. In a recent interview with Frank C. before Goodwin committed to SLU he could not have been much more emphatic that he was committed to Illinois, so this would be a real nice development.

-I can see where signing a fall LOI makes sense to end the recruiting, but if Tilmon or those around him have any thought that jf Illinois has a bad season which would get Groce canned and Tilmon wouldn't want to be there with next coach, then don't sign a fall LOI and see who is the Illinois coach after the season - a lot of 'if's', the kid needs to do what is best for him

-more if - if Tilmon doesn't sign a fall LOI a lot of folks on the Illinois board will need treatment 

Not that I have any inside info but I would be very surprised mainly because this Thursday Derek Piper, who covers Illinois recruiting for Scout, talked to Tilmon about the Goodwin situation so I would be surprised if Tilmon would talk to him but not Groce.  He had what Tilmon said on his pay site which I don't have but he also mentioned on the radio that Tilmon is solid for Illinois.  Would be a big change from just middle of last week.  

8 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

The Illini board will implode when Tillmon signs with SLU. It's been fun trolling their board and what they think of our little program. Not sure why they still care since I am sure they have more recruiting wins against us than we them. 

Honestly if Tilmon flips to SLU, I think their attention will move fairly quickly from crushing SLU to Groce.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Honestly if Tilmon flips to SLU, I think their attention will move fairly quickly from crushing SLU to Groce.

I think it will be 50/50 split with them attacking Groce and them screaming that the NCAA needs to shut down our program.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, TheChosenOne said:

Haha, definitely fun to look at in retrospect. Glad me being a huge loser provides some value to this board. The top three were obvious since Porter and Tilmon were already considered top 25 prospects in their class from the start and Goodwin burst onto the scene putting up big numbers. Although speaking of bursting onto the scene (dude put up numbers in his first game at the Pattonville Tournament), what happened to Ryan Warren-Hogue? I think some entertaining after the fact posts would be when Roy and I and others argued about SLU needing to offer Goodwin and some on the board strongly defending Crews and co. The first time I saw Goodwin play at the O'Fallon Shootout his sophomore season I was convinced he should have an offer from SLU, such a fierce competitor. Although who cares at this point, the kid is a Billiken thanks to Ford and Tate!

Warren-Hogue was definitely the main one I wanted to check in on.

Clearly Porter and Tilmon were studs out of the gate. Glad that Goodwin was someone we paid attention to as a freshman, back when he liked us the first time. Stockard was on our initial list, too, and remains a strangely quiet local major recruit. Crawford's a football prospect but could've gone the basketball route if he wanted (I think he has that Athlete of the Class award locked up already).

That 2017 SLUH class has been solid but not developed into the across-the-board level of talent some of us initially thought it could be. Alec Spence seems to have hit a ceiling, as well. Farris is just so short, although I think he'll end up D-I somewhere. Is the Valley the ceiling for Frederking? I hope he's not one of those guys who ends up in the Valley and scores 25 on SLU when we face his team.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Warren-Hogue was definitely the main one I wanted to check in on.

Clearly Porter and Tilmon were studs out of the gate. Glad that Goodwin was someone we paid attention to as a freshman, back when he liked us the first time. Stockard was on our initial list, too, and remains a strangely quiet local major recruit. Crawford's a football prospect but could've gone the basketball route if he wanted (I think he has that Athlete of the Class award locked up already).

That 2017 SLUH class has been solid but not developed into the across-the-board level of talent some of us initially thought it could be. Alec Spence seems to have hit a ceiling, as well. Farris is just so short, although I think he'll end up D-I somewhere. Is the Valley the ceiling for Frederking? I hope he's not one of those guys who ends up in the Valley and scores 25 on SLU when we face his team.

What about AJ Epensa?

Sorry, I was specifically referring to the Athlete of the Class award Chaminade hands out on senior day. TheChosenOne and I went there, albeit a few years before Crawford. I was awarded the "College Intramural Prospect" award that day.

36 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

The kid looks like he could be another Mo Allie-Cox.

So I guess the plan is we get Tilmon to commit to us in the fall, unless Illinois tries to throw a bunch of $$$ at him to stop it from happening, and then a scholarship opens in the spring for French. #FinalFour2018

I'm blanking on this: how many scholarships do we have for this year? Obviously Goodwin's getting one of them, but I'm counting Crawford and Agbeko as seniors this year. We had 4 players leave (Yacoubou, Yarbrough, Reynolds, and Jolly) plus Hines go back to walk-on status, and have 5 new players (Moore, Johnson, Foreman, Henriquez, and Bess), so no rollover of scholarships.

Is the number 2 for this year?

10 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'm blanking on this: how many scholarships do we have for this year? Obviously Goodwin's getting one of them, but I'm counting Crawford and Agbeko as seniors this year. We had 4 players leave (Yacoubou, Yarbrough, Reynolds, and Jolly) plus Hines go back to walk-on status, and have 5 new players (Moore, Johnson, Foreman, Henriquez, and Bess), so no rollover of scholarships.

Is the number 2 for this year?

The number is 2 for this year but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed 3 this fall with an expectation of a transfer next year.