Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

I'm guessing top priority right now is a post player. That's the player who'd round out the 2017-2018 roster if Goodwin is indeed going to be the point. Tilmon is obviously the dream, but let's assume he stays committed to Illinois. We haven't offered Stockard - publicly, anyway - but I have to imagine the way the roster has changed with Goodwin changes our perspective on him and any other 2017 post players in the pipe. We just haven't offered any at this point.

If part B of this rumor is true, we should be hearing something soon. Any ideas aside from what we've already speculated?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to get a conversation about this going, but a recruiting thread seemed appropriate... Ford has managed to pull in four guys who were ranked somewhere between 115-150 in their class (Henriquez, Foreman, Bess, Johnson) and a consensus top 60 guy (Goodwin). Will we have ever seen that much talent on the floor at once? I'm eager to see what Ford can do with this last scholarship, and maybe even one or two more depending on how aggressive he chooses to be. As many have pointed out, a big seems to be the obvious priority. The core of transfers plus Goodwin gives us an incredibly versatile line-up, and could be really strong defensively just due to the fact that we would be able to switch on everything. Bess seems able to defend 1-4, and Foreman looks pretty agile for a big guy. Henriquez is a big wing, and Goodwin also could switch onto the 4 without it being a terrible mismatch. Even Johnson has exceptional length and could probably fill in at the 4, provided he gains some strength.

After a rim-protecting big, I'd say the biggest wants (yes, I think we've moved into that territory - our needs would be filled with a solid 5-man) would be another big, a point guard, and an ace shooter to help spread the floor, in that order.

Excited to see what's next with Ford leading the way, and doing so exceptionally well thus far.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think it's too soon to write Matt Neufeld off.  He was just a freshman, after all.  By 2017-18, he'll be a junior.  Perhaps he'll have developed to the point of being comparable to Ian Vouyoukas.  A freshman big from the '17 class might have to bide time behind Matt.

im with this.... too early. like his potential

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think it's too soon to write Matt Neufeld off.  He was just a freshman, after all.  By 2017-18, he'll be a junior.  Perhaps he'll have developed to the point of being comparable to Ian Vouyoukas.  A freshman big from the '17 class might have to bide time behind Matt.

And that'd be fine, but we have no proven bigs on the roster who will be around by then besides Foreman. If one of Neufeld/Welmer/Gillmann show something, then we have less reason to be concerned, but bigs generally play fewer minutes than guards anyway - solid depth in the frontcourt is almost as important as talent.

Stockard has official visits to Xavier and Kansas St set for next month.  He's received calls but no offer from SLU.  As the other poster stated maybe Ford has seen something in the returning bigs and with the 6'8 Rutgers transfer.  Ford might be focusing on a big in the 2018 class.  Looks like he's putting a nice group of talent together tho.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Whoever this mystery second player is, I doubt he's local. The streets ain't talking.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Stockard has official visits to Xavier and Kansas St set for next month.  He's received calls but no offer from SLU.  As the other poster stated maybe Ford has seen something in the returning bigs and with the 6'8 Rutgers transfer.  Ford might be focusing on a big in the 2018 class.  Looks like he's putting a nice group of talent together tho.

Appreciate the info, as usual. 

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Whoever this mystery second player is, I doubt he's local. The streets ain't talking.

That is kind of what I am thinking too unless of course the dream scenario (Tilmon flipping) is closer to a reality than most seem to think. That one would rest squarely on Tate/Goodwin/a**hole Illinois fans as I had been told from the start he had pretty much no interest in SLU. I have a good source on East St. Louis kids who has not failed me yet, so I will have to try to get a hold of him to see what he is hearing on the Tilmon front.

The Goodwin commitment is obviously huge in and of itself, but it also allows us to be very selective and targeted with filling that last scholarship.

23 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I love that TheChosenOne and Pistol mention Goodwin on page one of this thread. 

And then further down the page MB chimes in lol. Great stuff guys 

Thanks, most would have said "its pathetic how TheChosenOne and Pistol mention Goodwin on page one of this thread nearly three years ago."

39 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

7 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Thanks, most would have said "its pathetic how TheChosenOne and Pistol mention Goodwin on page one of this thread nearly three years ago."

In retrospect, how telling was it that Yess was Crews' first offer among the local class of '17? Not so much a knock on him, but he never was at the same level as guys like Goodwin and Tilmon. Was this due to small-mindedness or miserable talent evaluation?

FWIW Tillmon has been to a dozen SLU games.  None in the past couple years but his freshman and sophomore seasons he was a fixture.

If you look at the freshman list about the top players all panned out, then the rest were hit and miss.  Yess falls into this category.  He just never took the next step.  Yale is a good spot for him and probably better for his career that he didn't blow up, say like Nolan Berry did, then realize he can't play at that level.

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Ha. Funny to look back at that. The JG mention was all TheChosenOne. Tilmon, too. He got the ball rolling on the class. A few other names - like Stockard - too, and a few names that we haven't seen in a while. I'll have to check in on a few of them.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Ha. Funny to look back at that. The JG mention was all TheChosenOne. Tilmon, too. He got the ball rolling on the class. A few other names - like Stockard - too, and a few names that we haven't seen in a while. I'll have to check in on a few of them.

Haha, definitely fun to look at in retrospect. Glad me being a huge loser provides some value to this board. The top three were obvious since Porter and Tilmon were already considered top 25 prospects in their class from the start and Goodwin burst onto the scene putting up big numbers. Although speaking of bursting onto the scene (dude put up numbers in his first game at the Pattonville Tournament), what happened to Ryan Warren-Hogue? I think some entertaining after the fact posts would be when Roy and I and others argued about SLU needing to offer Goodwin and some on the board strongly defending Crews and co. The first time I saw Goodwin play at the O'Fallon Shootout his sophomore season I was convinced he should have an offer from SLU, such a fierce competitor. Although who cares at this point, the kid is a Billiken thanks to Ford and Tate!

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Haha, definitely fun to look at in retrospect. Glad me being a huge loser provides some value to this board. The top three were obvious since Porter and Tilmon were already considered top 25 prospects in their class from the start and Goodwin burst onto the scene putting up big numbers. Although speaking of bursting onto the scene (dude put up numbers in his first game at the Pattonville Tournament), what happened to Ryan Warren-Hogue? I think some entertaining after the fact posts would be when Roy and I and others argued about SLU needing to offer Goodwin and some on the board strongly defending Crews and co. The first time I saw Goodwin play at the O'Fallon Shootout his sophomore season I was convinced he should have an offer from SLU, such a fierce competitor. Although who cares at this point, the kid is a Billiken thanks to Ford and Tate!

Ryan Warren-Hogue did kind of disappear after his freshman season. He tried out for the Eagles 15u AAU team and I believe he was cut in favor of David Sloan from KY.  Ryan's a fierce competitor as well...but he's pretty much the same height as he he was his Freshman year.  I think he will be at Northwest High School this season.  As for Wyatt...I believe he would have fit in with the type of players Crews was recruiting.  SLU reissued that offer after Ford took over but I think the family realized the direction Ford was going in and took the Yale offer.  They want him to go somewhere he will play.

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Some posters on the Illini boards say that Tilmon has "gone radio silent" with Groce. Sounds like bull****, but does anything think Tilmon is actually reconsidering his commitment? 

If he is not solid with IL then why did he not simply wait to announce until Goodwin announced?  If he really wants to be with Goodwin then they would have announced together - at that would seem to make sense.

15 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Some posters on the Illini boards say that Tilmon has "gone radio silent" with Groce. Sounds like bull****, but does anything think Tilmon is actually reconsidering his commitment? 

Just wait until Groce gets fired after this year. Then there will really be some nail biting going on there with Tillmon. 

22 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I like this. I really like this.