Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In his video he said Top 5 schools on his list.  I am guessing Northwestern, Illinois, Mizzou, SLU and Michigan State.  He mentioned the 4 as ones he's has communication with most in the most recent interview and was asked about Michigan state.  I would be surprised if he doesn't commit to Illinois though when it's all said and done.

On 7/21/2016 at 6:04 PM, johnbj14 said:

Based on the recent recruiting success of Groce, I don't think Illinois is going to boot him before the big names get to campus. 

If Groce misses the Tourney again this year, that would be four years in a row... far worse than Weber had done when he got fired. I don't think any recent recruiting success Groce has had would be able to save him. Illinois could attract a lot of coaches who could recruit there, so I think Groce is easily replaceable.

4 hours ago, ACE said:

If Groce misses the Tourney again this year, that would be four years in a row... far worse than Weber had done when he got fired. I don't think any recent recruiting success Groce has had would be able to save him. Illinois could attract a lot of coaches who could recruit there, so I think Groce is easily replaceable.

They had trouble landing one before they settled on Groce.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/four-star-jordan-goodwin-talks-top-seven 

Talks a bit about his recruitment. Pertaining to SLU, says Travis Ford and his experience with similar guards, such as Marcus Smart, is something that stands out. 

The reporter chose to focus mainly on Mizzou and Illinois, so it was hard to discern if those are his top two schools and not the reporter assuming that. 

I would think most people would realize SLU is still a bit of a long shot as Crews didn't really help and because his Tilmon already committed to Illinois making them the favorite.  I am glad to see Ford at least was able to get SLU back into the top 7 because I don't think we are if Crews is still here.

I would be surprised if Mizzou is high on the list mainly because of their coach on the hot seat with another new AD coming in.  Seems like that is more respect to Coach Tate.  And is his birthday October 3rd or the 23rd?  Either way, still time for Ford.  

Honestly, based on this list you have to like our chances better than a week ago. A lot of people assumed Michigan State was the front runner, so I wonder what happened there. Regardless, it is nice that there are not any true elite programs in the mix. I would assume Illinois is the favorite.

I listened to the interview last night and wasn't paying too close of attention, but when he was talking about Creighton and Coach McDermott did he say he was tall and that was one of the positives?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I hope and pray we are not going to go through another cycle of adoration of a false messiah, like we did with Tatum, just to be disappointed at the end.

Well, the schools we are competing against for Goodwin are significantly different than those we were recruiting against for Jayson Tatum.

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Honestly, based on this list you have to like our chances better than a week ago. A lot of people assumed Michigan State was the front runner, so I wonder what happened there. Regardless, it is nice that there are not any true elite programs in the mix. I would assume Illinois is the favorite.

I listened to the interview last night and wasn't paying too close of attention, but when he was talking about Creighton and Coach McDermott did he say he was tall and that was one of the positives?

Apparently Texas and Michigan State were not present at the Eagles games for the last part of the live period, but the top 7 were. Maybe they shifted their priorities or gained traction with someone they liked better. 

12 hours ago, billslasttermdropout said:

For what it's worth,  we are shown in the top right position of his tweet,  just above Champaign.

Check out @jGoodwin1123's Tweet: https://twitter.com/jGoodwin1123/status/758087939226165249?s=09

A lot of love on the twitter responses from Illinois fans, only a couple from SLU fans... would nice if our fans were a bit more active in showing the love.

In recruiting against the Illini, remind the kid he may not be playing for Groce. Just point him to all the articles about Groce entering the season on the hot seat. He barely survived last offseason - the athletic department had a new AD and was dealing with their football mess, so he was able to survive.

-I didn't listen to the interview but I don't recall seeing Alabama associated with his recruitment, is their inclusion a surprise?

-from a SLU pov, it seems the previous regime did not recruit a talented kid that apparently showed interest in SLU but the new coaches have been able to get us in the kid's final 7, some might say no big deal because the kid might have showed interest at one point or some might say good work by the new coaches to overcome the miss by the prior regime, I am in the latter camp at this point

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

A lot of love on the twitter responses from Illinois fans, only a couple from SLU fans... would nice if our fans were a bit more active in showing the love.

In recruiting against the Illini, remind the kid he may not be playing for Groce. Just point him to all the articles about Groce entering the season on the hot seat. He barely survived last offseason - the athletic department had a new AD and was dealing with their football mess, so he was able to survive.

I have a feeling that Ford and the other coaching staffs will make this known to Jordan.  Would love to have him but it sure does look like all signs point to ILL

Checking in with our massive 2017 Interest list:

• Nana Akenten has added offers from Nebraska, Duquesne, UTEP, Bradley, and Valpo in the past couple months. He's gaining more interest, as well - Iowa, Wisconsin, K-State, Iowa State, SMU, Colorado State, and others. He won a dunk contest at a recent event. Ford has been in contact since taking the SLU job, so I'm leaving him on the interest list as his stock continues to rise.
  • Marvin Bateman, despite his fans on this board, hasn't seen a jump in stock. His sole offer is from Maryville, although he has interest from some D-I schools. Scouts have said he remains a low-D-I or lower-division prospect. I doubt there's any SLU interest here.
  • Daniel Farris added an offer from UMKC. He's been hearing from other D-I schools since the spring and his state title with Vashon, but his only other offer at this point is Eastern Illinois. Hard to gauge if SLU is involved at all, but it seems unlikely.
  • Noah Frederking has filled it up for the Illinois Bears on the AAU circuit this summer, and has added Ivy League interest (Dartmouth, Cornell). He's been to see Evansville and Indiana State, and SIUC is also said to be interested but still no offers at this point.
  • Lenell Henry has had a solid AAU season but I'm not seeing much of any recruiting activity. He visited SLU last summer but I don't see any indication of interest left here from the new staff.
  • Willie Herenton, like Lenell Henry, is one of the many Chicago kids we showed interest in under Crews, but who seems to be getting lost in the shuffle this AAU season.
  • Chris Knight has added offers from Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, BU, Army, and Elon. No sign SLU is still interested.
  • Ra Kpedi was a kid that Crews' staff liked a lot. He hasn't added any new offers this summer - Ball State in April was the last - but he visited DePaul this month. He has a long list of power conference schools interested, but his offer list is a notch below at this point. He's young for his class; prep school candidate.
  • Brandon McKissic has had a solid season for the Eagles, but not a whole lot of new recruiting activity. He still likes DePaul, although they do have a commitment from 2017 PG Justin Roberts.
  • Skyler Nash is having a quiet summer since announcing he'll be attending Gould Academy for a prep year.
  • Christian Negron said that mostly the same schools are involved as he plays for Puerto Rico's U18 team in the FIBA Championships this summer. Butler, Illinois, Iowa, and DePaul are four of his seven offers, and are the most involved. TCU, Tulane, and Loyola-Chicago have all been in contact this summer, as well. Bradley, UAB, and Virginia Tech are his other offers. He's one of the better players on the interest list, but I can't find that SLU has been involved since the Ford hire.
  • Jamal Nixon is having a solid summer with the Illinois Wolves, but he's still not getting offers. He visited Drake in June. He's got other Valley and Horizon-level interest, but I think SLU is probably out of the picture at this point.
  • Jack Nunge picked up offers from Creighton and Princeton this month. Vandy offered before Bryce Drew was the head coach, but he refreshed the offer and watched him play against the St. Louis Eagles recently. He has a ton of Big Ten interest, along with ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12. No sign that SLU is in the picture.
  • Alex O'Connell has a crowded recruiting pool, as well. His offer list - which was already bloated - has absolutely exploded: Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, Butler, Xavier, Iowa, Miami, NC State, Texas A&M, UConn, and Cincinnati have all entered the fray. Even if SLU still showed interest, I don't think there's a chance here. He's about to visit Louisville, one of the frontrunners.
  • Manny Patterson is playing well for the horribly named AAU team All In/Young & Reckless, picking up offers from Bowling Green and Central Connecticut. No sign of any SLU involvement remains, as far as I can tell.
  • Charles Payton plays for the same AAU team as Patterson. He visited Valpo this month. He's bounced around schools and AAU programs a ton. UIC, SIUC, and supposedly Nebraska have offered, but I can't find current interest for SLU.
  • P.J. Pipes had a good summer with the Illinois Stars, but his offer list includes a lot of lower-division schools - Central Missouri State, Wisconsin-Parkside, UMSL, Lewis, Winona State, Minnesota State, and - his lone D-I offer - Denver. However, UTEP, UMKC, and UWGB have all been in touch recently and are tracking him, so it's possible more D-I offers could come. SLU won't be one of them.
  • Nathan Reuvers committed to Wisconsin.
  • David Sloan has had a quiet summer after his transfer to Louisville Ballard was announced. With his offers (Louisville, Butler, Tennessee, Mizzou, Iowa, Memphis), he'll have no issues once the fall rolls around.
  • T.J. Smith transfered from Marian Catholic in Matteson, IL to Wesley Christian in KY, a school trying to build a national program. He reclassified to 2018. He's grown to 6-8.
  • Alec Spence is having a decent summer with Ramey. SEMO, his only D-I offer, still seems the most interested. Indiana State, Evansville, and Cleveland State (and Maryville) have also reached out. SLU probably isn't interested here.
  • Joey St. Pierre transferred back to Burton HS in his hometown of Richmond, IL from La Lumiere. His most recent offer is UTEP, joining New Mexico and UIC. He still has a lot of high-level interest, although I'm struggling to confirm if Ford's staff has reached out. He's also going to be playing football this fall.
  • Collin Stallworth is playing AAU ball with Ramey this summer. Central Michigan and Jacksonville State have offered for basketball, but he also has a few football offers, like Toledo and Illinois State. No sign of any SLU interest still.
  • Ryan Stipanovich picked up offers from Bradley and Oral Roberts. I'm not sure if SLU has reached out since Ford took over, but it looks like a stretch at this point.
  • Levi Stockard is a local kid I'm surprised we haven't heard more about and talked more about here, given what's happened to his offer list. DePaul, Marquette, Cincinnati, K-State, New Mexico, and others are all on board. And now Xavier has just offered. I'm not sure if Ford has been in contact.
  • Alonzo Verge seems to be primarily targeted by Illinois at the moment. I'm honestly not sure where he's attending HS in the fall yet, but his talent is undeniable and the high-level interest remains. SLU is certainly aware but if Illinois has the inside track and the dust from his transferring hasn't settled, they may just wait it out.

In summary: I was hoping more of those players had either trimmed their lists or committed. That was only the case with a couple of them. I doubt more than a few are still in the picture. Most are reaches, and the better players have bloated offer lists and we'd be getting in the mix way late in the game.

Anyway, I won't be revisiting most of these names unless they pop up. There are guys like Stockard, Sloan, Verge, Negron, Reuvers, Nunge, O'Connell, Kpedi, St. Pierre, McKissic, Atenken, and maybe a few other locals who I'll revisit out of curiosity, but the rest I'll let go.

Sure seems like Travis has done a really good recovery job on Goodwin. We're up against some biggies but nothing like going against Coach K for Tatum's services.  I happen to think using the Smart angle might be a real plus for us with him.