• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New offer:

Matt Turner

SG, 6-4, 170

Trumbull, CT (Blair Academy)

Offers: SLU, Duquesne, St. Joe’s, George Washington, La Salle, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Rice, Santa Clara, Hofstra, Fairfield, Quinnipiac.

Interest: Davidson, Fordham, Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, Virginia, Pitt, Maryland, Alabama, Oregon, SMU, San Diego State, Princeton, Iona, FIU.

Latest News: Turner’s latest offer is from SLU. He’s had a solid summer with the NY Lightning.

Scouting Report: Turner is an excellent shooter whose ability to make plays off the dribble has improved. He’s got a good frame to build on, can play the point when called upon, and has speed up and down the floor. Turner is aggressive at both ends and plays like a veteran – smart, tough, and consistent.

Twitter: @mattxturner

Turner plays at Blair Academy with Anthony Mack, another new SLU offeree. (Don't let the Blair Academy name scare you off; that's where Jolly spent his prep year.) He's a fifth-year player, and seems to be billed by every scout as one of the more consistent perimeter shooters they've seen.

http://Check out @scottybscout's Tweet: https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/756187508833071106?s=09

Update on Goodwin: says schools most in contact are Illinois, Northwestern, Mizzou and SLU. Expected to make a decision around September after taking some visits. Nice to be mentioned, but still think we're long shots after both Illinois and Northwestern. I have heard, though, that he does really like Ford, so we'll see.

1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

http://Check out @scottybscout's Tweet: https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/756187508833071106?s=09

Update on Goodwin: says schools most in contact are Illinois, Northwestern, Mizzou and SLU. Expected to make a decision around September after taking some visits. Nice to be mentioned, but still think we're long shots after both Illinois and Northwestern. I have heard, though, that he does really like Ford, so we'll see.

Not. Happening. 

I agree that it still seems like a long shot (I had heard he really likes Michigan State and Northwestern and now has a group of friends recruiting him to Illinois), but good to hear us mentioned by him when he only mentioned a handful of programs.

21 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I agree that it still seems like a long shot (I had heard he really likes Michigan State and Northwestern and now has a group of friends recruiting him to Illinois), but good to hear us mentioned by him when he only mentioned a handful of programs.

Based on Crews' handling of his recruitment, this is an achievement in and of itself.

By the way, the word before this was that he'd trim his list in early August and commit in late August. Now that he's saying September, has anyone seen when we might see a top 5 list?

44 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Based on Crews' handling of his recruitment, this is an achievement in and of itself.

By the way, the word before this was that he'd trim his list in early August and commit in late August. Now that he's saying September, has anyone seen when we might see a top 5 list?

In that same interview I think he said he was going to narrow his list over the next 2 weeks. Based on his response I am kind of thinking that may be his list (Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern, Mizzou, and SLU).

42 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

In that same interview I think he said he was going to narrow his list over the next 2 weeks. Based on his response I am kind of thinking that may be his list (Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern, Mizzou, and SLU).

Illinois and SPUMAC could each have new coaches next year. 

13 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Carson Newsome committed to Milwaukee today. Had a SLU offer but who doesn't at this point.

Staying home, interesting. SLU offered back in April. Milwaukee and Duquesne offered after us; Marquette wasn't going to come through. He could end up being a nice player, but was defintely one of the 2 or 3 biggest reaches on our offer list.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Staying home, interesting. SLU offered back in April. Milwaukee and Duquesne offered after us; Marquette wasn't going to come through. He could end up being a nice player, but was defintely one of the 2 or 3 biggest reaches on our offer list.

Given the size of our offer list at this point I suspect there are multiple tiers of players that have received offers

1) The guys we are in contact with all the time and have a legitimate chance with

2) The guys we probably don't talk to much, but would love to have more contact with if the player would show serious interest.

3) The guys we offered at one point but now don't really talk to. They may technically have an "offer" but given that we aren't actively recruiting them, its not real.

I'm betting this kid was a #3, but obviously have no inside info. 

3 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I thought Goodwin was going to trim down his list very soon.  Did that happen?

In the video posted above he mentions trimming his list down in the next 2 weeks and that video was posted July 21st so expect around next week or so I am guessing. 

On 7/11/2016 at 2:31 PM, Pistol said:
42 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

In the video posted above he mentions trimming his list down in the next 2 weeks and that video was posted July 21st so expect around next week or so I am guessing. 

-from USA Today in an article dated in April that I don't recall being mentioned on here that provides a small ray of hope ... “I want to go someplace where I can play,” Goodwin said. “If that means, I have to go away 20 hours, it will be hard on my parents, but it may be the best fit for me.”

-no doubt we would have minutes for him even with the transfers being eligible

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, crymdg2 said:

Not sure when and if he'll trim his list before making a decision, but he's saying September for that.

My gosh he'd not only play immediately at SLU he'd be the star.    I'm betting ford is already playing that angle.   

2 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Do you know if SLU has a shot at all?

I don't know, but the tweets I saw suggested that he would cut his list to 5 or 6. This was from the Bullseye Prep Sports report, so maybe take it with a grain of salt, but they thought that SLU could be in a top 6, but not as likely a top 5.