Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/3/2016 at 2:42 PM, Dwayne's_World said:

So what are the realistic chances that Ford gets commitments from either Tilmon or Goodwin?

I wonder how many of the local recruits are viewing the hiring of Ford.

I think we can officially cross Tilmon off of the list:

Jeff Borzello: No. 29-ranked 2017 Jeremiah Tilmon tells ESPN he is down to five: Illinois, Michigan State, North Carolina, Texas, Kansas.

Jeff Borzello: Jeremiah Tilmon also just said that Missouri is still in the mix

*I am assuming Mizzou is not in the mix

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Blake Harris attends the same high school as former Billiken Randy Pulley.  Pulley actually served a year as head coach back in the 2011-2012 season.

The most surprising thing to me is that Word of God is still open. Based on Randy's stories about the place, it was a total sham school - i.e. a shell to house an athletic program. I guess as long as the big names (John Wall, CJ Leslie, etc.) keep coming through, they'll find a way around the NCAA. Harris would be a really nice get, but there will be eligibility concerns just because of where he's coming from.

Blake Harris

PG, 6-3, 180

Chapel Hill, NC (Word of God)

Offers: SLU, La Salle, Seton Hall, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, Clemson, Iowa State, Ole Miss, LSU, Washington, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, Columbia, Norfolk State, UNC-Greensboro.

Interest: VCU, North Carolina, NC State, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt.

Latest News: SLU is Harris’ latest offer.

Scouting Report: Harris is a quick, aggressive guard with pass-first instincts. He has good length for his position and creates a lot of steals at the defensive end.

Twitter: @blizzyblake55_

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

The most surprising thing to me is that Word of God is still open. Based on Randy's stories about the place, it was a total sham school - i.e. a shell to house an athletic program. I guess as long as the big names (John Wall, CJ Leslie, etc.) keep coming through, they'll find a way around the NCAA. Harris would be a really nice get, but there will be eligibility concerns just because of where he's coming from.

The sad truth is that Word of God (in Raleigh not Chapel Hill) is still around because there are worse options and bigger frauds in NC and Raleigh.  A few years ago a friend who lives in Durham told me a story about a basketball focused charter school (unlike Word of God this school was taking public money) that had more basketball coaching staff than teachers (this school I am sure played Word of God).

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Given that he has an offer from Columbia, I suppose academics aren't an issue.

39 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Given that he has an offer from Columbia, I suppose academics aren't an issue.

I think he transferred to Word of God for this upcoming year. Based on that offer, I'm sure he's a bright kid and good student. You just never know when and if the official NCAA hammer could come down on a school like that, so my comment was based more on the nature of the institution than the player.

Even though I would have preferred he go to SLU, I actually appreciate Tilmon staying home to play for his home state team.  Better than him going to KU or other top schools.  I don't think there was a chance of him coming to SLU anyway.

15 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

2017 Isaac Kante 6'8" (Brooklyn, NY) has received an offer from SLU.

Isaac Kante

C, 6-8, 220

Brooklyn, NY (Putnam Science Academy, Putnam, CT)

Offers: SLU, Dayton, St. Joe’s, Iona, Wagner, Hofstra, Farleigh Dickinson, Canisius, Quinnipiac, St. Francis (NY), Long Island.

Interest: Monmouth, Stony Brook.

Latest News: Kante received an offer from SLU, his latest.

Scouting Report: Kante was originally a 2016 player but reclassified and transferred to Putnam. A large-framed center, he’s a strong rebounder and rim protector. On the offensive end, he loves to finish off the pick-and-roll.

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Isaac Kante

C, 6-8, 220

Brooklyn, NY (Putnam Science Academy, Putnam, CT)

Offers: SLU, Dayton, St. Joe’s, Iona, Wagner, Hofstra, Farleigh Dickinson, Canisius, Quinnipiac, St. Francis (NY), Long Island.

Interest: Monmouth, Stony Brook.

Latest News: Kante received an offer from SLU, his latest.

Scouting Report: Kante was originally a 2016 player but reclassified and transferred to Putnam. A large-framed center, he’s a strong rebounder and rim protector. On the offensive end, he loves to finish off the pick-and-roll.

-the offers list is not full of power 5 teams like most of the recent others, perhaps trying to get on the kid before he explodes and those come calling

-I  really like "strong rebounder and rim protector"

7 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-the offers list is not full of power 5 teams like most of the recent others, perhaps trying to get on the kid before he explodes and those come calling

-I  really like "strong rebounder and rim protector"

Yeah, there's definitely a drop-off after the A10 offers. Based on the reports I've seen (haven't seen video yet), my guess is he's a bit of a late bloomer and a guy who'd probably have more big-time offers if he were just a little taller. Seems like taking a prep year is going to be a really good choice for him.

16 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Sounds like Jamall Walker was instrumental in Tilmon's recruitment.

“I felt like if it wasn’t for coach Walker, I wouldn’t be going to Illinois,” he told Scout.com. “Me and him have the type of relationship that I haven’t had with anybody. He’s like my older brother, even though he’s going to be my coach.

That's from the stltoday article.  Yep, looks like it.  

39 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

7/18/2016 - 2017 C Malik Williams (6-11, 225, 4★) | Overall Rank: 118 | Position Rank: 8 has received an offer from Saint Louis.  Ranked #1 center by ESPN and #5 PF by Scout

What's the scholarship situation for 17? It seems like the coaches are reaching for the stars. 

7 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Not sure the scholarships availability but Ford offered another 3 schollys today. I lost count how many offers for 2017

We've got to get at least some of these guys right? Right?

I actually wonder if Ford thinks we have a chance on some of these guys, or if he just sees a benefit in having the SLU name out there when it comes to some of the higher ranked recruits. 

Then again, he can pitch the opportunity for immediate playing time on what we assume will be a competitive, NCAA-level team in '17-'18 with the three transfers becoming eligible.