Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Hoping for some improvement this year just due to a renewed spirit among the players, but with our 10 scjholarship players this year, only JB can play the point (I'm assuming AH is now off of scholarship). Since none of the three transfer additions next year are Point Guards, it seems imperative that Ford get a PG signed quickly.

Give Ford time to create. Make SLU great again

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sure hope we dont settle or compromise for a point guard to play this next season of a better choice could get here for the 17-18 season. next year is a bust anyway. we got a pretty good start with what appears to be three improvement transfers that will play in the 17-18 season. shoot for building that roster. no crews like additions just for numbers. please.

sure hope we dont settle or compromise for a point guard to play this next season of a better choice could get here for the 17-18 season. next year is a bust anyway. we got a pretty good start with what appears to be three improvement transfers that will play in the 17-18 season. shoot for building that roster. no crews like additions just for numbers. please.

Every sign so far is that roster-padding compromises aren't being made for the 2016-17 season. We have at least three scholarship players who will sit. Players who Ford didn't see a future with have transferred. It's going to be a tough season and he seems totally fine with that. Based on what we're hearing about one more potential player, I don't think he's going to pull in some PG off the street just to have a PG.

My question is who else leaves? It's June 3, and any player who would leave on his own would have already done so.

Here's a scenario: what if Crawford graduates this summer and gets his grad school tuition paid for by a future employer, or gets some other scholarship or grant? I seem to recall some student-athletes at SLU receiving some post-grad scholarship through the A-10. Could that be an option?

My question is who else leaves? It's June 3, and any player who would leave on his own would have already done so.

Here's a scenario: what if Crawford graduates this summer and gets his grad school tuition paid for by a future employer, or gets some other scholarship or grant? I seem to recall some student-athletes at SLU receiving some post-grad scholarship through the A-10. Could that be an option?

I doubt that's allowed. I could see Kansas, unc, Duke and Kentucky abusing the heck out of such a scenario. That said duke was the king of getting players parents overpaid "jobs" with boosters and never once got even a light hand slap for that.

I doubt that's allowed. I could see Kansas, unc, Duke and Kentucky abusing the heck out of such a scenario. That said duke was the king of getting players parents overpaid "jobs" with boosters and never once got even a light hand slap for that.

Scholarships are one year deals. I hate to say it, but I think players are suggested to leave on a more regular basis than people think.

No one else has to leave if Hines goes back to walk-on status. The four players we have so far replace Jolly, Reynolds, Ash and Milik.

No one else has to leave if Hines goes back to walk-on status. The four players we have so far replace Jolly, Reynolds, Ash and Milik.

True, but if there are 1 or 2 JUCOs also close to committing, someone else will.

I certainly won't complain if we continue to upgrade the roster, but I generally agree with this. I don't think Ford will make Crews-like additions, because I think Ford is a better judge of talent, but I think the staff should aim towards making 2017 the start of something special and sustainable. I also think overloading with transfers can be problematic.

People also shouldn't underestimate roster construction. A good PG is a must in today's college hoops and while I'm hopeful Bishop can be that guy, I think it'd be a mistake for the staff not to target one in the fall.

I certainly won't complain if we continue to upgrade the roster, but I generally agree with this. I don't think Ford will make Crews-like additions, because I think Ford is a better judge of talent, but I think the staff should aim towards making 2017 the start of something special and sustainable. I also think overloading with transfers can be problematic.

People also shouldn't underestimate roster construction. A good PG is a must in today's college hoops and while I'm hopeful Bishop can be that guy, I think it'd be a mistake for the staff not to target one in the fall.

Even if Bishop is a solid PG, we need more than one and Bishop will be a junior next year so that's a good time to reload the position even if it was really good. I think a PG is more important than any position in the 2017 recruiting class.

I was wondering about Crawford too. I was thinking more along the lines of him graduating and being eligible to play right away at another school as a graduate transfer. I'd hate to see him go because that would mean we lose likely one of the better players on the team next year. He also seems like a great student and person off the court who represents the program well. That being said, it would make a ton of sense for him to transfer if he wants to play for a winner. This team is not being built to contend next year, but rather for the following year when Crawford is gone anyways. In the right situation, I could see Crawford transferring to a low / mid-major (Horizon, MAC, or OVC team) with NCAA hopes next year and where he fits with the team's needs. Again, I don't want to see this happen. However, given the choice between an extra year of Crawford with a bad team and adding a very good piece for the future, I'd probably go with the future.

Ford is building for the future but he's also fully aware that another completely non-competitive season will only make recruiting harder. I don't think he'll do anything else to the current roster that will hurt next season.

The team might not be good next year, but I fully expect them to show a lot more promise than the last two seasons did.

I don't think he'll do anything else to the current roster that will hurt next season.

What else could he possibly do to hurt it? Run Crawford and Agbeko off? The only chance we have to be competitive next year is if those two turn into Curry and Green. I don't see what Ford can do to avoid non-competitiveness.