Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

No football this year.

It may have been lost in the earlier posts but Ford and assistants have watched him play in AAU this year and have re-offered the scholarship. Presumably they wouldn't have done that if they didn't want him but who knows.

That is a good point. It could be a "for show" thing since he's a local kid to maintain good relationships, but who really knows. I've seen Yess once. Didn't love him and would like to give Ford a chance to land someone better, but I don't think he'd be horrible.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I remember the "refreshing" of Yess' offer being made public. I don't think that would've been so clearly stated if they didn't mean it. I haven't seen Yess play in person. I really liked the early video on him, from his freshman and sophomore years, but things certainly quieted a bit this past season. But I'd think Ford sees a player that will fit his system.

If he really wasn't playing at 100%, I'm glad he's not going back to football. I know he's missed a lot of AAU ball already with injuries over the past couple years.

Hassan French is a very exciting name for us. I don't think we've technically offered but getting this visit lined up is huge. I'm still working on an Interest list but here's his profile:

Hasahn French: PF, 6-7, 220, Springfield, MA (Commonwealth Academy)Offers: VCU, UMass, Dayton, Fordham, St. John’s, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Pitt, Rutgers, Minnesota, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Arizona State, Temple, Cincinnati, New Mexico, Detroit, Buffalo, Iona, Manhattan, Wagner, St. Peter’s. Interest: SLU. Latest News: French will visit St. John’s and SLU in early June. Scouting Report: French has an imposing physicality, using his size and toughness to his advantage, and still has soft touch and good instincts around the basket. He’s a strong rebounder who uses that skill to get his team going in transition. He has a non-stop motor at both ends and is credited as a glue guy. Twitter: @Hasahn22

A few tidbits:

-French wants to shorten his list in late summer or early fall. He has no favorites at this point.

-He has 23 offers I've been able to confirm, but recent articles say "over 15 offers" - my guess is that some are stale, or he's just not even thinking about them anymore. The smaller conference offers all came in 2013 and 2014; most of the big ones appear to still be in the mix. Most action at this point is coming from the Big East, Big Ten, and A10. This spring has been busy, with the amount and level of his offers increasing dramatically.

-He didn't start playing basketball until 8th grade. He had a big growth spurt early in HS, made varsity, and hasn't looked back since.

-He plays with a chip on his shoulder. He thinks recruiting services don't respect him and rate him too low. Whether this is fair or not doesn't matter; he plays like a beast - fearless, tough, energetic, and tireless.

-Last week, he was named to the EYBL Hampton Third Team along with board favorite Jordan Goodwin.

Hassan French is a very exciting name for us. I don't think we've technically offered but getting this visit lined up is huge. I'm still working on an Interest list but here's his profile:

Hasahn French: PF, 6-7, 220, Springfield, MA (Commonwealth Academy)Offers: VCU, UMass, Dayton, Fordham, St. John’s, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Pitt, Rutgers, Minnesota, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Arizona State, Temple, Cincinnati, New Mexico, Detroit, Buffalo, Iona, Manhattan, Wagner, St. Peter’s. Interest: SLU. Latest News: French will visit St. John’s and SLU in early June. Scouting Report: French has an imposing physicality, using his size and toughness to his advantage, and still has soft touch and good instincts around the basket. He’s a strong rebounder who uses that skill to get his team going in transition. He has a non-stop motor at both ends and is credited as a glue guy. Twitter: @Hasahn22

A few tidbits:

-French wants to shorten his list in late summer or early fall. He has no favorites at this point.

-He has 23 offers I've been able to confirm, but recent articles say "over 15 offers" - my guess is that some are stale, or he's just not even thinking about them anymore. The smaller conference offers all came in 2013 and 2014; most of the big ones appear to still be in the mix. Most action at this point is coming from the Big East, Big Ten, and A10. This spring has been busy, with the amount and level of his offers increasing dramatically.

-He didn't start playing basketball until 8th grade. He had a big growth spurt early in HS, made varsity, and hasn't looked back since.

-He plays with a chip on his shoulder. He thinks recruiting services don't respect him and rate him too low. Whether this is fair or not doesn't matter; he plays like a beast - fearless, tough, energetic, and tireless.

-Last week, he was named to the EYBL Hampton Third Team along with board favorite Jordan Goodwin.

He appears to be connected to Macon since Rutgers offered him previously. I like the kid's video. Good dunker!

This is certainly an exciting prospect, be nice to lock up one of these more highly sought after recruits for once!

Other 2017 updates:

Thomas Allen received offers from Cincinnati and East Carolina. He's transferring to Brewster Academy in New Hampshire for his senior season.

Isaiah Coleman picked up an offer from TCU.

Nojel Eastern was invited to the USAB U17 World Championship training camp. I don't think we're involved anymore.

Iowa State offered Jordan Goodwin for both basketball and football. He's reportedly intrigued at the idea of playing both sports. He's having a great spring and racked up a bunch of new big-time offers in April. The pressure is mostly on Groce and Illinois here, though, as the narrative building around him is that he's a "must get" recruit for them. I would expect a shorter list from him within the next few months, and hopefully Ford can get SLU back on it.

Zach Gunn picked up an offer from Toledo. He was a Crews offer, so I'm not sure where we stand with him anymore.

Toledo also offered Elijah Joiner.

Tray Hollowell has an offer from Mizzou, and Notre Dame, Xavier, and Western Kentucky have gotten involved.

Justyn Mutts has a lot of fans in the A10, adding offers from VCU, St. Joe's, St. Bonaventure, and La Salle, in addition to Brown, Bowling Green, and Towson.

Carson Newsome is also feeling the A10 love, with a Duquesne offer.

Nate Pierre-Louis added offers from Vanderbilt and Purdue. He's another one we offered under Crews and haven't been mentioned with lately.

Jared Ridder is visiting Xavier in June. Xavier, UNI, and Oklahoma State all offered at the end of April.

Koby Thomas picked up Rider and Duquesne offers right after SLU offered, and he visited Temple.

Things are heating up between Illinois and UNC for Jeremiah Tilmon, with UNC fans starting to really creep on him on Twitter.

Aaron Wheeler is another popular A10 target, with St. Joe's and La Salle following SLU, Duquesne, and Rhode Island with offers.

DePaul offered Keith Williams.

Yess has an offer from Yale.

-thanks Pistol

-I'm not sure you need to continue to mention Crews recruits although might be interesting to see them sign with the Prairie Views, Chicago States, etc

For the 2017-2018 classes, I don't think we'll see the Crews era offers go to schools like that. They were offering legitimately high-level players. Landing them would've been the issue. I'll continue to monitor them for now; we did see one (Yess) have his offer refreshed by Ford, so it's not inconceivable we'd see others refreshed, as well.

For the 2017-2018 classes, I don't think we'll see the Crews era offers go to schools like that. They were offering legitimately high-level players. Landing them would've been the issue. I'll continue to monitor them for now; we did see one (Yess) have his offer refreshed by Ford, so it's not inconceivable we'd see others refreshed, as well.

From what I've read in the IndyStar, the Zach Gunn offer is still valid. IU and Butler on him also. What I don't know is where he is on Ford's priority list. Cheaney was recruiting him. Go to the alphabetical list.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2016/05/12/2017-recruiting-big-board-who-iu-targeting/84285156/

2017 SG Taveion Hollingsworth (6-3, 170, 2★) has received an offer from Saint Louis. -

Not great offers here but certainly in TF country

We actually offered him a few weeks ago. I thought it already hit VC, but I guess not. He doesn't have the most impressive offer list at this point but I'd expect that to change. West Virginia, Xavier, and Louisville are all recruiting him.

Taveion Hollingsworth: SG, 6-3, 170, Lexington, KY (Paul Laurence Dunbar)Offers: SLU, Wright State, Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State, Winthrop, Samford, East Tennessee State. Interest: Xavier, Louisville, West Virginia, Wichita State, Western Kentucky, Murray State, Northern Kentucky, UNC-Greensboro, Wofford. Latest News: Wright State was the latest to offer Hollingsworth, following SLU in early May. EKU was the first to offer back in December, but his recruitment accelerated as the season progressed. He took a recent campus visit to Xavier, West Virginia said he was a priority, and Louisville is now involved. He calls UK his “dream offer”. Scouting Report: Hollingsworth was a first-team all-state selection after being named MVP of the Sweet 16 in March. He’s a scoring combo guard who plays with a lot of confidence. He scores in a variety of ways, handles the ball well with long arms for his size, and plays with a tough, even temperament. Twitter: @Lil_Tay3

His dad wanted him closer to home and nixed the original SLU deal. Original visit was Javon and mom. They revisited with the whole crew and were able to close dad.

Nice recruiting job by Travis Ford. Should be looking at a big improvement in year 2