Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

BTW my understanding is that Goodwin has been the best player on the eagles team thus far this spring.

With Tilmon out with a shoulder injury (I think that's what I heard), Goodwin has been by far their best player and pretty much a star with Finke likely being their second best player. Goodwin has been pretty dominating attacking off of the bounce and has shown the ability to make plays for his teammates off of his penetration. Darius Garland, 2018 point guard from Tennessee, has also had some nice games scoring the basketball.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told third hand that Ford had visited althoff now on multiple occasions.

Roy.

Good to hear. Probably way too early, but I would really like to know how Ford operates. Whether or not he will actively go into homes or if he will have his assistants mostly do this and keep himself in the role as the "closer". Then, again, maybe Ford will be even more involved initially this Spring because of his new hire and the amount of work which needs to be done ASAP.

Why do people think that even if Crews offered Goodwin and he committed, he wouldn't have reopened his recruitment when he took off? A commitment is not binding. A LOI is, but Goodwin couldn't have signed one yet. I've been baffled by this for the longest time.

Why do people think that even if Crews offered Goodwin and he committed, he wouldn't have reopened his recruitment when he took off? A commitment is not binding. A LOI is, but Goodwin couldn't have signed one yet. I've been baffled by this for the longest time.

I don't think anyone thinks that. I think people are upset that Crews waited so long to offer or even get involved and he put the local program behind numerous national ones when we couldn't afford to fall behind.

Can we leave Crews behind? He is water under the bridge. He did and he did not do a lot of things... fine, this is our baseline, let's look forward, not backwards. It really does not matter why he did or did not do anything any longer. If he spoiled our chances with some recruits, it is too bad but it is what it is, there will be others.

I don't think anyone thinks that. I think people are upset that Crews waited so long to offer or even get involved and he put the local program behind numerous national ones when we couldn't afford to fall behind.

Disagree. Believe GoBillsgo is correct. Alot think that if only Crews had offered Goodwin and shown some interest in him a year ago that he would become a Billiken because he liked us a year ago. Reality is that Goodwin is a much better player today than he was a year ago.

Again, it is offseason so it must be time for the annual discuss of "what is an offer" or "what does an offer really mean?" Again, if there are 3 open spots but 10 offers given out, then there is an obvious math problem. Which gets us back to why would Crews/SLU not simply make 11, 12, 13 or more offers if -- especially to local kids who might grow/develop -- if, at the end of the day, offers to Sophomores are non-binding expressions of interest (rather than actual offers) and if such offers really do not matter much anyway.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe we hear and believe every rumor regarding recruits and SLU. Maybe we believe that SLU is the only "responsible" program which does not give our offers like they are water. Maybe every college basketball fan believes their team doesn't give out enough offers compared to their competition.

Can we leave Crews behind? He is water under the bridge. He did and he did not do a lot of things... fine, this is our baseline, let's look forward, not backwards. It really does not matter why he did or did not do anything any longer. If he spoiled our chances with some recruits, it is too bad but it is what it is, there will be others.

He isn't water under the bridge. The legacy of Crews is going to be hanging around probably for longer than the legacy of Majerus was. We hit rock bottom right when we were cusping the top. We needed a high-energy guy like Ford to start picking up the pieces of this trainwreck. Doesn't mean we aren't going to still be cursing the engineer who ran us off the rails.

Thomas Allen: SG, 6-2, 180, Garner, NC, (Garner)Offers: SLU, VCU, Murray State, North Dakota, James Madison, High Point, Campbell, Longwood. Interest: Xavier, NC State, Virginia Tech, Miami, USC, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Tulsa, East Carolina, Old Dominion. Latest News: SLU was one of several offers that rolled in for Allen in late April. SLU and VCU were the last two, and his biggest ones yet, although a number of ACC, Big East, and AAC teams are involved. Scouting Report: Allen is a scoring guard and shooter with range who wants to take the big shot. He’s an active, smart on- and off-ball defender who creates turnovers and racks up steals. Twitter: @TGABFY

I'm trying to build out a profile for Elijah Childs but can't find much on other offers or interest. Anyone know anything about him?

I'm trying to build out a profile for Elijah Childs but can't find much on other offers or interest. Anyone know anything about him?

Nothing other than we're his 5th offer.

Nothing other than we're his 5th offer.

Yeah, it's weird how few details I can find on that kid.

By the way, we offered another 2017 player - Justyn Mutts, a 6-7, 215 lb. forward from St. Augustine Prep in New Jersey.

Justyn Mutts: SF, 6-7, 215, Millville, NJ (St. Augustine)Offers: SLU, Dayton, Richmond, Monmouth, Wagner, Boston, Niagara, American, Hofstra, Chattanooga, Howard, St. Francis (PA), Virginia Union. Interest: St. Joe’s, Temple. Latest News: Mutts now has a trio of A10 offers after a nice showing with Team Final in April. Scouting Report: Mutts is a high-level athlete and explosive dunker who loves to play in transition. He uses his length and athleticism to block shots at the other end. He needs to be more consistent and work on a more complete offensive skill set. Twitter: @JM_Squarepants

Yeah, it's weird how few details I can find on that kid.

By the way, we offered another 2017 player - Justyn Mutts, a 6-7, 215 lb. forward from St. Augustine Prep in New Jersey.

That sounds really bad.

If our predator tracking law enforcement is worth a damn, you are certainly on their watch list for how many high schoolers you dig through on the google machine

Justyn Mutts: SF, 6-7, 215, Millville, NJ (St. Augustine)Offers: SLU, Dayton, Richmond, Monmouth, Wagner, Boston, Niagara, American, Hofstra, Chattanooga, Howard, St. Francis (PA), Virginia Union. Interest: St. Joe’s, Temple. Latest News: Mutts now has a trio of A10 offers after a nice showing with Team Final in April. Scouting Report: Mutts is a high-level athlete and explosive dunker who loves to play in transition. He uses his length and athleticism to block shots at the other end. He needs to be more consistent and work on a more complete offensive skill set. Twitter: @JM_Squarepants

Right on. And his name is Justyn Mutts, which is cool.