Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some other names I have heard that are somewhat local with summaries I found from a national camp:

Michael Porter: Father Tolton High School, Columbia, MO - 6-5 SF. Being mentioned as one of the top players in the class at this point drawing comparisons to Jayson Tatum. His dad is an assistant coach for the Mizzou women's basketball team.

TOP LONG TERM PROSPECT

Michael Porter 6’5 W (Columbia MO/Tolton HS)

Porter is a top prospect in his class and has a great combination of upside and productivity already at a young age. This weekend he displayed one of the most advanced offensive skill sets in his class and scored on all three levels. His game has been compared to fellow Missourian and class of 2016 5 star Jayson Tatum and just like Tatum he makes everything look so easy and smooth. Defensively he needs to step up the energy level but, with his size, length and skill set Porter will be a priority for schools early on.

Jordan Goodwin: Althoff, Belleville, IL - 6-3 G. Played for the Eagles this summer and is a freshman at Althoff. Scored a game-high 25 points in the championship game of the Effingham Tournament to get his high school career started off with a bang.

Jordan Goodwin C/O 2017 6’2 W (Belleville, IL/Althoff Catholic High School)

On the AAU circuit Goodwin played up a grade level with the prestigious St Louis Eagles program and made an impact. At this level Goodwin was near impossible to stop from scoring around the rim. Bull strong and athletic he makes it a priority to finish around the rim. In the Top 20 All Star Game, Goodwin scored his team’s first 10 points and out willed his counterparts.

Jeremiah Tilmon: East St. Louis High School, East St. Louis, IL - 6-9 C/PF. 230-pound freshman center/power forward at East St. Louis with a 7'0" wing-span. From Chicago Hoops, "Tilmon has big time potential. His high school and travel team coaches have already heard from multiple high-majors including in-state programs and other Midwest powers. Expect Tilmon to be one of the top prospects in the class of 2017 which is looking pretty good early on in Illinois."

Ryan Warren-Hogue: McCluer, St. Louis, MO - 5-7 PG. Started the season off with 22 points against Chaminade in the Pattonville Tournament.

Reggie Crawford: Chaminade, St. Louis, MO - 6-3 SG. Played varsity football this fall and is playing on the varsity basketball team this winter. His coaches say he is tough as nails and the lefty looks like a solid athlete.

SLUH has a group of freshmen playing on varsity this winter including guards Brandon McKissic and Davion Nash and forwards Brent Smith (6-6) and BJ Wilson (6-6).

We may need Earl Austin Jr. to fill us in on some of these kids.

Jordan Goodwin got his high school career started off in style with a game-high 25 points in the championship game of the Effingham Tournament.

Reading Earl Austin's write-up from the opening night of the Pattonville Tournament, there are a couple of freshmen mentioned. PG Ryan Warren-Hogue for McCluer started his season off with 22 points against Chaminade. Also, SLUH has a group of freshmen playing on varsity this winter including guards Brandon McKissic and Davion Nash and forwards Brent Smith (6-6) and BJ Wilson (6-6). Koray Gilbert listed above is not on SLUH's varsity roster.

I'll get on this later this afternoon, put it in the same format as the other years.

Just throwing this out there before we go any farther: This is where I draw the line. No 8th grade recruiting report will be assembled. The class of 2018 can wait.

Also, TheChosenOne - glad they're letting you on high school campuses again.

Not sure I would say they are letting me on high school campuses, but I did get out to the Pattonville Tournament last night without anyone noticing. I added some notes above and took off the names that I only found in that one camp write up. I think we could put this list on hold until the end of the season. Looks like Tilmon, Goodwin, and Porter may be the "area" guys of most interest.

Jordan Goodwin got his high school career started off in style with a game-high 25 points in the championship game of the Effingham Tournament.

Reading Earl Austin's write-up from the opening night of the Pattonville Tournament, there are a couple of freshmen mentioned. PG Ryan Warren-Hogue for McCluer started his season off with 22 points against Chaminade. Also, SLUH has a group of freshmen playing on varsity this winter including guards Brandon McKissic and Davion Nash and forwards Brent Smith (6-6) and BJ Wilson (6-6). Koray Gilbert listed above is not on SLUH's varsity roster.

Davion Nash wouldn't be related to Damien Nash would he?

• 4 weeks later...

Althoff Catholic head coach Greg Leib... "Jordan Goodwin is the most talented kid I've coached since Kevin Lisch"

Looking at the stats at STL High School Sports, Jordan Goodwin is averaging 21.7 points per game thru 7 games.

Jeremiah Tilmon is averaging 7.9 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 3.42 blocks per game thru 12 games.

I can't find anything of Michael Porter who plays for Fr. Tolton Catholic in Columbia. Apparently the coed Catholic school was founded in 2011 (9th-10th grade) and has expanded to include 9th-12th grades with 183 students this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Earl Austin Jr. has a nice article evaluating the top local freshmen on his website (EarlAustinJr.com). There appears to be a lot of local talent in the 2016 and 2017 classes.

Michael Porter from Columbia, MO is not on the list since he is not local, but apparently he is averaging 27.7 points and 10.9 rebounds.

Here is my yearly installment of Freshmen of Influence. (I took the name from the old Street & Smith’s Basketball Magazine). The stats that I have posted do not include last week’s games.

Jordan Goodwin (Althoff): The 6’3″ Goodwin has been one of top players in the area, of any class. He is powerful, athletic and plays with a ton of confidence. He is equally at home in the post or on the perimeter. He is averaging 22 points and about five rebounds a game.

Jeremiah Tillman (East St. Louis): The 6’9″ Tillman projects as one of the top prospects nationally in the Class of 2017. So far, he is averaging 7.5 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.3 blocks per game. He has a nice skill set and a good shooting touch for a young man of his size and age.

Noah Frederking (Okawville): The 6’3″ Frederking has been putting up some impressive numbers since the beginning of the season. He is averaging close to 19 points a game, which has included a couple of 30-point performances. He has shown the ability to score from almost anywhere.

Levi Stockard (Madison Prep): The 6’7″ post player is a force around the basket with his size and big body. Saw him for the first time at the Rameybasketball Fall Showcase and he dominated. He is averaging 7.4 points and six rebounds for a Madison Prep team that is one of the best in the state in Class 3.

Alec Spence (MICDS): A talented 6’4″ wing who can get buckets on the drive and from the mid-range. He can also shoot the 3-pointers. Scored a season-high 19 against Pattonville earlier this year. He is averaging 10 points, four rebounds and two assists a game.

Wyatt Yess (Parkway West): The 6’6″ is a skilled big who has been tough to handle around the basket. He had 27 points in West’s victory over Washington in the Meramec Tournament. He can also put it on the floor and score on the drive. He is averaging 13 points, six rebounds and two blocks a game.

Daniel Farris 5’10″ (Madison Prep): This young guard is stepping into some big shoes, that being of graduated stars Martavian Payne and Kevin Baker, but he has been up to the task. He is averaging six points, four assists and two steals a game. He has also hit some big shots in clutch situations in some of the Bears’ big wins.

Ryan Warren-Hogue 5’7″ (McCluer): This diminutive quickster had quite the debut game; a 22-point performance against Chaminade in the Pattonville Tournament. He is jet-quick and fun to watch in the open court. He is averaging 13 points while shooting 39 percent from 3-point range.

There are several other freshman who may not be getting big numbers, but they are making contributions while getting their feet wet at the varsity level. They include:

Davion Nash and Brandon McKissic (SLUH): The 5’10″ Nash is a strong, big-bodied guard who has shown the ability to score and take big shots while McKissic is getting quality minutes at the point guard spot.

Josh Nunn (Whitfield) is a 5’7″ point guard who has held up well as the starting point guard. He is quick and can penetrate.

Enrico Sylvester (Belleville East) is a 5’11″ guard who has provided a spark to the Lancers with his 3-point shooting.

Reggie Crawford (Chaminade) is a 6’2″ guard who is getting quality minutes for one of the state’s top teams. The lefty can shoot.

Eric Krus (Vianney) is a 6’5″ forward with nice offensive ability. Watch him in the future.

Tyler Dancy (Belleville West) is a 6’5″ wide body who is strong in the low post.

Robyion Hughes (Ritenour) is a lightning quick 5’5″ point guard who is always on the move.

Jacob Klenke (Pacific) is a 5’11 guard who is a capable 3-point shooter.

Zachary Bush and Ryan Spears (University City) are both getting regular minutes in the Indians’ backcourt.

Noah Moss (Triad) is a 5’7″ guard who is scoring eight points a game.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Tilmon, Goodwin, and Porter may be the "area" guys of most interest.

Sounds like Michael Porter out of Columbia, MO is having a monster freshman year:

Heading into district play the previously tweeted about Porter was averaging 28.3 points and 9.9 rebounds per game.

Star freshman Michael Porter of Columbia (Mo.) Father Tolton with 62 points and 25 rebounds over last two games of districts.

I don't know much about this website (Future 150), but it has Michael Porter #3 and Jeremiah Tilmon #17 in its class of 2017 rankings:

http://future150.com/jr/basketball-rankings/2017/

Wow, I think I waste too much time with this, and, hell, I am semi-retired, and you people are looking at 2017 recruiting: write ups, analysis, projections, speculations.

Right in the middle of the best time of the year for hoops, the stretch run of the regular season, heading for conference tournaments, then NCAA's.

While you are at it, make some weather predictions for 2017 for Chesterfield. Keep me informed.

• 2 months later...

Michael Porter's father coaches at Mizzou and his godfather is Lorenzo Romar...but SLU is showing interest in Jeremiah Tilmon:

https://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1639904

"Porter's running mate on the MoKan Elite 16's, 6-foot-9 freshman big man Jeremiah Tilmon from East St. Louis (Ill.) High, looks like an elite prospect as well. Tilmon runs extremely well, has great length and is a bouncy finisher around the rim. Normally, young big men his size are awkward and gangly, but Tilmon is fluid and has great instincts. Kansas State, Missouri and Illinois have dropped early offers while Kansas, Saint Louis and Indiana are among a host of others that have been in to see him early."

• 2 months later...

Tweet from Earl Austin Jr: "Just learned through a source that Saint Louis U. has offered 6'8 Soph F Wyatt Yess of Parkway West. Ran with the Gateway 15U this summer."

Michael Porter Jr. and Jeremiah Tilmon both played with MOKAN Elite this summer and are looking like top prospects in 2017. ESPN has Porter at #5 and Tilmon at #13 in 2017.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2017

Yes. Starting center on varsity team as a freshman. Big/tall kid with good moves. A good football player as well. Believe he is around 6'7" and still growing.

Love to see the aggressive recruiting by JC and staff. Let's get this kid to a bunch of games the next couple of years and make him want to be a Billiken.

Let's continue our winning ways, and he'll be an automatic.

Can you imagine a Louisville kid, being recruited by Slick Rick, going to Fla or Kan or Mich St? I can't. Not if RP really wanted him. Pretty much the same with Memphis, Cincy. Sure, I know some will want to go away, but if you have a big-time program in your hometown, the likelihood is that you will stay home. Sure would love to see us get at least close to that point.

• 1 month later...