Big East: Xavier AD Speaks About Expansion

kshoe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that he seems sure that expansion will occur.

Don't love that he says between 2 to 5 years.

Love that he mentioned SLU first among the possible teams, even after they were just talking about Dayton.

2 years is what I've heard all along for the next phase of expansion

Count me in the camp of probably 99% of Billiken fans who thought we'd be in the new Big East by now (or at least an announcement by now for next year as was originally reported by ESPN) and also that we'd be invited ahead of Creighton. Now, IF we get in 2 years or so with expansion, then count me in the camp that not being an original member of the new Big East will probably be better for SLU. SLU and Jim Crews simply need to win and need to keep making the NCAA Tourney. Sweet 16? Final Four? Either/both would be great!! We just need to keep making the Tourney (and collect the proceeds each year), keep the wins coming and continue to make a name for ourselves other than be known as "another tough team" in a good conference or "another team you'd rather not play". Our program needs to be champions of something -- the A10 regular season, the A10 conference season, another tournament/holiday tournament. And being a less competitive A10 for two more years will probably be just fine. Butler and Creighton have already made names for themselves, have been their conference champions many times, have been making the Tourney for years but now need to compete against the best in league play -- something neither of them have ever done -- and still make the Tourney. We will see what happens. In contrast, SLU has done this years and yet has not won (until last year) and has not been invited to many Tourneys. Being a tough game and pulling an upset at home against the likes of Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, etc. did not put our program on par with theirs. Consistently winning and making the Tourney is what makes a program an elite program. These next two years may actually be just what SLU needs.

-interesting comment that x's non-conf schedule is wrapped up for next year

-to play amateur media critic, the host was horrible and interesting that x has no standards on autographs for their student athletes, they are in Ohio right? home of Ohio St?

-I like that he mentions us first on expansion, but then he mentions 3 more (SVU, Rich and VCU), imo we need to keep making ourselves attractive to the Beast by making the tourney and advancing, we are not a lock

-interesting comment that x's non-conf schedule is wrapped up for next year

-to play amateur media critic, the host was horrible and interesting that x has no standards on autographs for their student athletes, they are in Ohio right? home of Ohio St?

-I like that he mentions us first on expansion, but then he mentions 3 more (SVU, Rich and VCU), imo we need to keep making ourselves attractive to the Beast by making the tourney and advancing, we are not a lock

Also, we better start selling out games like UD and VCU do.

If the big east bottom feeders, providence, st johns, seton hall, depaul dont get better, if creighton snd butler dont come through (stevens gone, creoghton's coach's all american kid graduates) it wouldnt surprise me slu says thanks but no thanks.

By all rumors the cost to change conferences would be high and honestly the A-10 has been improving. The big east has bungled a lot of the setup.

Is it probably going to be the right move? Yes. Is it a lay down? Not necessarily. i think the big east has some performing to do as well imo.

If the big east bottom feeders, providence, st johns, seton hall, depaul dont get better, if creighton snd butler dont come through (stevens gone, creoghton's coach's all american kid graduates) it wouldnt surprise me slu says thanks but no thanks.

By all rumors the cost to change conferences would be high and honestly the A-10 has been improving. The big east has bungled a lot of the setup.

Is it probably going to be the right move? Yes. Is it a lay down? Not necessarily. i think the big east has some performing to do as well imo.

If the tv money is there, it's a no brainer. Not to mention its a no brainer with Marquette, Creighton, DePaul, Xavier, and Butler there regardless.

The BE has little to prove at least not right away. They will be able to coast on their laurels for a few years but I agree eventually they will have to put or shut up. I am not sure how tough the A10 will be over the long run - they could go either way. I do think they have the ingredients to be a tough conference next year. I can see the merit of us having choices rather than being the desperate one. I just hope this comes to a head one way or the other in the next couple of years so we can get on with our lives as a program.

"What this looks like it will come down to is Saint Louis, and then either Dayton or VCU. Would the Big East's school presidents side with Dayton because it is a private school, and VCU is not? Or would the Big East side with breaking its private school link and add VCU, which holds the basketball edge at this point?"

http://t.co/Ng2ActagXN

The BE has little to prove at least not right away. They will be able to coast on their laurels for a few years but I agree eventually they will have to put or shut up. I am not sure how tough the A10 will be over the long run - they could go either way. I do think they have the ingredients to be a tough conference next year. I can see the merit of us having choices rather than being the desperate one. I just hope this comes to a head one way or the other in the next couple of years so we can get on with our lives as a program.

Its all about that sweet sweet cash. Honestly, the rivalries and prestige are fun but my favorite type of ranking has a "$" in front of it.

IF invited, it is an absolute no brainer to go if for no other reasons then the significantly improved geography of the Big East, the significantly better television contract and the significantly better cache of the schools in the conference. Its not even a decision worth discussing. Go immediately.

If anybody wants to question whether the Big East teams will be good going forward, consider the following: Of the 55 players currently ranked in the top 100 by Scout that have committed already, 10 have committed to Big East schools. The A-10 has 0. The future of the conference is very bright.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014

SLU already has an advantage none of the other schools have- the biggest remaining TV market. The things the school can do to help itself are:

-Kick some serious ass on the basketball court this season (and next), and fill the seats at home.

-Hire a president who understands the importance of this potential move, and preferably someone who has strong relationships with the other 10 presidents.

-Campaign consistently for inclusion, both the school administration and AD's office.

And that's pretty much it.

Regarding the first point, I really want SLU to be that hot ex-girlfriend this season for the Big East. They took a few other schools that have been sexy at various times but maybe aren't quite what they used to be, looking a little too old for their age, a little flabby. Meanwhile, the one you ignored for years is in top form, gaining national attention on a greater scale than ever before.

we shall see. Like i said, cracks exposed. And apparently expansion will not bring full share status to those coming in add the fee we would have to pay to exit and enter and ncaa credits we would have to leave behind, what looks like gold might not really be all it appears to be.

we shall see. Like i said, cracks exposed. And apparently expansion will not bring full share status to those coming in add the fee we would have to pay to exit and enter and ncaa credits we would have to leave behind, what looks like gold might not really be all it appears to be.

You got a link to the statement that new teams won't get full status?

You were at the same luncheon i was. You should pay attention

Roy, what you're failing to factor in is the importance of the perception that the Big East is a power conference. They get the TV exposure and NBA-caliber recruits are more likely to go to schools in that conference. SLU would be utterly foolish to turn down the Big East to stay in the A-10.

You were at the same luncheon i was. You should pay attention

I was there and was paying attention. What I specifically remember was one guest continuing to ask questions even when it was clear that the questions weren't going to be answered to his satisfaction. It got uncomfortable for many people around the table.

I also remember the responses given by the AD and it was obvious we would go if asked so I'm not sure why you keep putting out straw man arguments suggesting we wouldn't go.