Undergrad Enrollment

bills10

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the chart in the paper issue did have SLU and Wash U listed showing last year's and this year's enrollments - Wash U was down a bit and we were up a bit. This trend of fewer graduating h.s. students has been something that was predicted some time ago so nobody should be surprised by it. By the way, I was told by someone in the business this summer that MO has the most recruiters in Chicago then any other school and they have been very successful in enrolling kids from that area.

Per the chart in the print edition, SLU's 2012 enrollment was 17,646, and the 2013 enrollment is 17,900 (I'm guessing that's anticipated enrollment), a 1.4% increase. Maryville(?) and Missouri S&T were the only other local schools to show increases. Webster and UMSL both showed declines of 0.1%.

I've heard the same thing about Chicago. Mizzou has been recruiting Chicago hard.

those numbers are wrong re: undergrad enrollment & overall. We are keeping it pretty static over the past number of years, targeting 1600 + change for freshmen and hoping for around 88%-90% retainment. 1500-1600 sounds about right to me. Nationally the numbers of graduating seniors are way down and will continue to be way down for the foreseeable future; a huge declining market that will affect higher ed for the rest of our lives.

Fall 2012 = 13,060 applications; 1618 enrolled.

the current website has these figures: Enrollment: More than 8,800 undergraduates and 5,100 graduate students (including medical and law students) from all 50 states and nearly 70 countries. that sounds like 13,900 to me. that was slightly down from 2011, by the way.

the reason it's not around 6400 (1600 x 4) is due to lingering enrollments (more that 4 years to graduate) and transfers, many from STLCC. And part-timers! But the number should include all those enrolled at SLU.

PD has it at 17900 -- where is that coming from? adding in Madrid?? so where did Tim or whomever wrote this get these numbers??

PD has it at 17900 -- where is that coming from? adding in Madrid?? so where did Tim or whomever wrote this get these numbers??

Do they make difference between PT and FT? If not maybe they count a student taking like one course at the Belleville campus or someone taking an on-line class.

• 3 years later...

I think this is the start of the bubble popping in education.  I do not think SLU is more affected by the changing tides. 

The private giving going down does not surprise me at all.  I am 31, feel like I make a good living, and the act of "donating a significant amount to my alma mater" registers as about the 5487th priority when it comes to my spending over the year.  I'd be curious to see the median age of SLU donors.  I would honestly expect it to be over 65 years old.

29 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I think this is the start of the bubble popping in education.  I do not think SLU is more affected by the changing tides. 

The private giving going down does not surprise me at all.  I am 31, feel like I make a good living, and the act of "donating a significant amount to my alma mater" registers as about the 5487th priority when it comes to my spending over the year.  I'd be curious to see the median age of SLU donors.  I would honestly expect it to be over 65 years old.

How can you expect donations from a large and growing group of alumni that are trying to pay off massive amounts of student debt?

On Monday, September 02, 2013 at 8:48 AM, cheeseman said:

Actually the chart in the paper issue did have SLU and Wash U listed showing last year's and this year's enrollments - Wash U was down a bit and we were up a bit. This trend of fewer graduating h.s. students has been something that was predicted some time ago so nobody should be surprised by it. By the way, I was told by someone in the business this summer that MO has the most recruiters in Chicago then any other school and they have been very successful in enrolling kids from that area.

Washington University enrolled a record freshmen class: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/washington-university-celebrates-largest-freshman-class-on-move-in-day/article_db898ad0-68b8-59a0-9d18-b672b7598316.html

And a quick thought on the Illinois story: the recruitment of Illinois in general and Chicago in particular by Missouri has been a big story lately, but it goes back a long time--at least 20 years--and represents less than 2 percent of full-time traditional college aged students at public institutions.  Not that you suggested otherwise.  Missouri schools, both public and private, are definitely much more affordable for Illinois residents based on the sticker price.  Harder to know when you factor in the discount rate.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/08/26/us/college-student-migration.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

I don't know if I would classify the two new dorms as a good or bad investment at this juncture. I would say that they are necessary due to the changing landscape of university housing on a national level. In ten years, maybe less, the traditional dorm experience will be largely extinct. Student housing amenities is a large selling point for incoming students. As a current junior with a sibling who is a freshman here, I can tell you that people do weigh the living facilities greatly when so much is being paid for an education. These investments probably lean towards good, but in the grand scheme of things will probably prove to be a wash compared to competitors.

things are tightening up, no doubt, but again this has been on the horizon now for many years.  I am not yet aware of the latest census of incoming freshmen at SLU, has anyone heard the numbers this fall?  Maybe I missed that number, but we've been aiming at up to 1600 or so for the past half dozen or so years...

btw: things are truly grim out west of here in Columbia, where freshmen enrollment is down somewhere in the vicinity of 27%, depending on whom you listen to;  that is a truly astonishing drop, which for SLU would be up to 430 or more paying freshman, a crippling blow that would signal the end of days..  Mizzou critics are blaming this drop largely on the widely-covered racial protests and other incidents, along with the horrendous athletic department antics, as well as sundry other idiotic decisions made at the highest levels of management:

"Most of the loss comes from Mizzou’s incoming freshmen class of just 4,799, according to The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which represents the smallest incoming class in nearly a decade, with a shortage of more than 1,400 students compared to last year’s class."

pjmedia.com/trending/2016/09/02/mizzou-enrollment-declines-as-other-mo-universities-report-spike/

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Enrollment down to its lowest level since 2010;

The number of high school graduates nationwide is decreasing. http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/02/27/1-3-of-states-will-have-fewer-high-school-graduates-by-2022 I would be shocked to see SLU grow significantly in the coming years. Greater emphasis has been placed on attracting students of higher academic caliber. (Average ACT of this freshman class is a 28. Avg. GPA ~ 3.9) 

Plus, about 22% of this incoming freshman class is pell-grant-eligible. SLU has done a good job of increasing its profile while still catering to first-generation and students from underrepresented populations.

5 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Maybe I missed that number, but we've been aiming at up to 1600 or so for the past half dozen or so years...

Just shy. ~1550.

7 minutes ago, slubilliken09 said:

The number of high school graduates nationwide is decreasing. http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/02/27/1-3-of-states-will-have-fewer-high-school-graduates-by-2022 I would be shocked to see SLU grow significantly in the coming years. Greater emphasis has been placed on attracting students of higher academic caliber. (Average ACT of this freshman class is a 28. Avg. GPA ~ 3.9) 

Plus, about 22% of this incoming freshman class is pell-grant-eligible. SLU has done a good job of increasing its profile while still catering to first-generation and students from underrepresented populations.

Just shy. ~1550.

I assume the quickest solution to this would be to slash the number of pell grant students accepted. Not sure that is a trade off the university would want to make though. 

2 minutes ago, BillsCPA said:

I assume the quickest solution to this would be to slash the number of pell grant students accepted. Not sure that is a trade off the university would want to make though. 

Ain't happenin. That would be very un-jesuit.

11 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Why would someone in this day and age pay $40K a year for their kid to attend a college that is not even in the Top 100 nationally?

According to reports SLU submitted to the Department of Education for 2013-2014, 93% received scholarship or grant aid with an average award of $18K. This excludes transfer students and student who returned after a break in their studies.

Only 53% borrowed using federal student loans.  That surprises me.  SLU students are wealthier than I expected.

Maryville continues to increase its enrollment.  I'm not sure I see the appeal of that school.  I went to a Buzz Bissinger book signing there 3-4 years ago, and it did not strike me as a fun place to go to spend four years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2016/08/24/maryville-university-sees-record-freshman.html