SLU Soccer Pre-Season Ratings

kwyjibo

10 days to first game so I decided to check the preseason polls:

Top Shelf (website): SLU 18th (VCU 23rd)

NSCAA (coaches): SLU 15th (VCU 24th)

College Soccer News (website): SLU 10th (VCU 27th) (expect preview of SLU soon as well)

Soccer America (website): SLU 8th (VCU unranked)

SBI (website): SLU 9th (VCU 18th)

Soccer Times (coaches): SLU 14th (VCU unranked) (released late but included here for historical record)

Ken Massey (computer): SLU 15th (VCU 25th)

Most interesting is BennetRank which purports to use foo-foo computers to rank SLU 58th preseason. One look at the method shows the flaw in SLU's case--his preseason computer rankings use a huge weight for average conference performance in prior seasons. Anyway, it looks like there will be more computer rankings for NCAA soccer this year with BennetRank (however crappy the preseason method*).

Also, note that the SLU vs UConn game will be webcast (I am still thinking about going but this may tip the scales against slightly) on and by NSCAATV.com. This site also has links to all the locally produced webcasts (SLU game at VCU will be webcast as well):

http://www.nscaatv.com/schedule

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-national-rankings/men

http://www.nscaatv.com/rankings/2058/NCAADivisionI/men/FarWest/PreseasonPoll

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/polls/csn-preseason-top-30-poll

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=csoc⊂=NCAA%20I

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/53454/soccer-america-preseason-mens-top-25.html

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/08/college-soccer-season.html

http://www.soccertimes.com/ncaa/top25/men.htm

*Bennett seems to have better HTML skills than most rankers but a look at his basketball work for last year shows that his methods are a bit flawed (does try to mix in a variety of factors but unlike Pomeroy does not appear to actual test HOW to weight the factors). I am not going to link to it (Massey is much better).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping the trend against Akron moves in our favor this weekend as we lost 4-0 two years ago at home and then lost only 1-0 at their place last year. Akron is a premier team through and through and will have loads of talent on the field. Can't wait to see the game on Saturday.

10 days to first game so I decided to check the preseason polls:

Thanks for putting this together kwyjibo.

I am authentically excited for McGinty and the Bills this season. I hope Kristo keeps on the up and up, the sky is the limit for him.

I know that soccer doesn't bring the attention/money that basketball does but SLU soccer is an important part of the school culture and I'm glad we are back where we belong in the National Scene.

Just off the top of my head and not considering the newcomers as I haven't seen any of them here is what I'd like to see

Adnon and Robbie upfront but I'd bet Bryce will start and Adnon will come off the bench. I want my best players on the field the most so for me it'd be Adnon over Bryce and that's not a knock on Kingsley.

Across the midfield Lee / Karl / Graydon / Sweet. I'm just taking a stab at defensive mid based upon what I saw last year

Across the back Marco / David/ Manning/ Jon R

Shack in goal

I should be there Skip. May be meeting up with some families on my team but will let you know. Key thing I want to see is some of the younger guys getting time against a quality opponent. Like to see who is able to adjust quickly to the college game and the speed. Also like to see this Francisco (sp) guy get out there and see what he is made of as I have third-hand that he's pretty good. Win or lose, just want to see that what we have is further improvment of the older guys and solid talent with the new guys.

I should be there Skip. May be meeting up with some families on my team but will let you know. Key thing I want to see is some of the younger guys getting time against a quality opponent. Like to see who is able to adjust quickly to the college game and the speed. Also like to see this Francisco (sp) guy get out there and see what he is made of as I have third-hand that he's pretty good. Win or lose, just want to see that what we have is further improvment of the older guys and solid talent with the new guys.

I want to win. I know it's an exhibition but a win will give the team confidence and hopefully it carries into the season. We should be up 3 by the half, so we can play the kids in the 2nd half

Robbie Kristo and Anthony Manning were named to the Hermann Trophy watch list. Robbie was a semi-finalist last year.

There were 34 players named 22 Sr's, 11 Jr's, and 1 Soph. Robbie and Anthony are both among the 11 Jr's.

Congrats to the guys now lets kick some Ohio A$$

I just saw 2400+ for the ladies in their win last night. Was something going on to draw that many people?

I was hoping this meant that the orientation game was moved from Saturday to Friday, but it looks like both the Men's and the Women's games were part of orientation:

http://slu.edu/Documents/student_development/first-year_experience/Fall%20Welcome%202013%20New%20Student%20Schedule%20as%20of%208.8.13.pdf

Quick recap of last night:

SLU won 2-0. First goal came on a freekick by Sweetin from just outside the left hand side of the 18. Ball snuck through traffic for David who was able to redirect in. Second goal was late in the game when Akron lost the ball just inside their defensive third. Ball made itin to the 18 (Bryce?), played to Hidalgo, before sliding it to Kohring who buried it from 6-8 yards out.

So the 2-0 score looks nice for sure but it certainly did not reflect the game. Akron has some damn good quality all over the field and it would likely show up in the possession stats. I would say 75% of the game was spent near our half and just outside our 18 with occasional moves forward by SLU which typically amounted to little.

Pros:

• We did beat a very high level team. Just looking at the roster for Akron had me in awe of the type of kids they get. The quality of player they had each and every position was just nuts. No one was very flashy but everyone's first touch, awareness, movement, and passing were top notch.
  • Shack and the new freshman goalie, Andre, came up with some point-blank saves to preserve the shut out. Andre had three for sure and looked great coming off the line. He's no more than 5'10" if that, but played big.
  • Our offside trap worked well numerous times as Akron tried to play diagonals over the top or through our centerbacks numerous times. They connected multiple times only to be called back for being offside. Akron played a 3-4-3 against our 4-4-2 and I will give a lot of credit to our backline for how they handled it. It wasn't perfect by any means but they had a plan and it worked.
  • Players: Graydon was man of match for me. All over the field, fiesty (early yellow on two footed challenge), great passing, composed on the ball, and broke forward numerous times from his d-mid position to start a forward move, and simply stood out. Heskamp was nails out of the back. Kristo, who came on in the second, was a menace the minute he got on there. Played as a great target guy (guy is a beast) and had at least 2-3 great runs into the 18, almost latching on to one floated ball by Roeckle but his touch failed him.

Cons:

• Played four attacking mids - Francisco, Sweetin, Lee, and Hidalgo. I had heard Francisco was the real deal but it felt like we had 10 players on the field with him out there. Rarely did he see the ball while he was out there. His workrate was sh-t, half-assing his recovery runs or pressuring of the ball. Graydon, who was playing d-mid, literally looked like he was the only center mid out there. Sweetin moved to center mid during the second half and provided an immediate spark to the position; I'd play him there but like him on the flank as well. Lee was ok there but was probably gassed at that point to do anything. Hidalgo was ok as well and grabbed an assist. Point is Francisco can't be the attacking mid if he can't get touches with part of that being his workrate. I still like Graydon as our attacking mid but I will have to agree with Skip that I'm not sure who plays d-mid other than him right now.
  • Midfield transition - While Akron routinely broke down our midfield quickly to get the ball to their forwards, we had a ton of trouble doing this. Couldn't figure out why exactly (Poor passing, first touch by SLU? Akron dropping deep after losing ball? Fwd dropping back to be a fourth midfielder?) Adnan started up top in the first half and I think he had maybe 3 balls played to him; he saw very little of the ball and was probably bored out there. Again not sure why this was happening but we won't beat many teams like Akron if we can break them down. I felt like we started out better but maybe grabbing that early 1-0 goal caused us to let up a bit or Akron simply picked it up.
  • Talked to Manning. He hurt his other knee while his hurt knee was recovering. Out another few weeks. Bummer but the German kid who filled in didn't look too bad as his replacement. Maybe Manning red shirts?

Great crowd with the new freshman staying throughout most of the game.