SLU Soccer Pre-Season Ratings

kwyjibo

I always find the College Soccer News preview to be good I did a list of their top 30 and it wasn't like they were picking on SLU. They missed

6 - UConn

10 - SLU

12 - San Diego

15 - Tulsa

19 - L'Ville

20 - New Mexico

21 - St. Johns

They did reviews of numerous teams outside their top 30. I don't know the criteria they use, but I'd think they'd cover their top 20 first and foremost if not even all of their top 30. They did a total of 42 team reviews. It doesn't look like much thought was put into who they did or didn't do which is kind of disapointing. Even considering they don't know for certain their top 30 with 42 reviews and a little thought they could easily get all 30 and still have 14 other teams of interest. They missed 6 of their top 20 and 7 of their top 21 which means they missed doing 1/3 of their top 21 teams while spending their time doing 30 teams outside their top 21. Seems off to me

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for checking Skip. I was about to email them too as I found it odd.

Not sure if you saw what I wrote about Manning after the Akron game, but I saw him behind the goal before the game, not dressed out fully. Asked him how his recovery was coming and he said good but he injured the other knee so he'll be out for a few more weeks according to him. Given our backline consisted of three sophomores and one senior versus one of the most talented teams in the nation this past weekend, I'm hopeful that we can deal without Manning but certainly would prefer to have him.

Thanks for checking Skip. I was about to email them too as I found it odd.

Not sure if you saw what I wrote about Manning after the Akron game, but I saw him behind the goal before the game, not dressed out fully. Asked him how his recovery was coming and he said good but he injured the other knee so he'll be out for a few more weeks according to him. Given our backline consisted of three sophomores and one senior versus one of the most talented teams in the nation this past weekend, I'm hopeful that we can deal without Manning but certainly would prefer to have him.

I saw that, I was just wondering if anyone knew whether it would be long term or jsut a couple of weeks

One of the reasons I want him back is ... I'm still hoping for a better fit at defensive mid than David G, so naturally with the way Julian G played against Akron my thoughts went to Tyler David as a possibility. I really just don't like Graydon at the defensive mid position. He's so good at attacking space, but in the game against Akron his first thought seemed to be laying the ball off. We need someone else winning the ball and David running free looking to play the ball through the middle. Our attack against Akron was limited to balls played through the midfield down the wing or long from the back line down the middle. One of our strengths last year was the ability to attack from all angles, long from the back line, through the middle on the floor, or down the wings. We are also taking some of Robbie's effectiveness away if the majority of his touches seem to come from long balls from the back line.

That's fair. I don't know if David is of the Moriarity, Hammes, Grazier or Kirchoff mold from years past. Haven't watch closely enough to see how his distribution is in tight spaces. He's a good center back but can't make a call on his d-mid capabilities. It would be worth a shot though as I agree and have stated that Graydon should be our attacking mid. The one play that sticks in my head from Akron was in the second half when Graydon did this swooping run from just inside our half, to the wing, and rapidly changed the whole complexion of the attack and put Akron on their heels quickly with the amount of space he covered in a short time frame. He looked like he was saying, "F-this....I'm getting forward come hell or high water...." He can single-handily force back lines to play us more honest just because of his skill on the ball and vision to see the more decisive passing angles.

That's fair. I don't know if David is of the Moriarity, Hammes, Grazier or Kirchoff mold from years past. Haven't watch closely enough to see how his distribution is in tight spaces. He's a good center back but can't make a call on his d-mid capabilities. It would be worth a shot though as I agree and have stated that Graydon should be our attacking mid. The one play that sticks in my head from Akron was in the second half when Graydon did this swooping run from just inside our half, to the wing, and rapidly changed the whole complexion of the attack and put Akron on their heels quickly with the amount of space he covered in a short time frame. He looked like he was saying, "F-this....I'm getting forward come hell or high water...." He can single-handily force back lines to play us more honest just because of his skill on the ball and vision to see the more decisive passing angles.

Remember the play by Graydon which was something we saw plenty of from him last year. I'm not really saying Tyler could be that guy, just that AM coming back could open up the possibility. One guy that sticks out in my mind from last year is Khalil Karl but he didn't get in the Akron game, hell, I don't remember if he's on the roster without looking it up.

All in all though I like want McGinty and trust in his decisions as he sees the players much more than us and our time this year has of course been limited to 1 game. Maybe Francisco has been the guy you heard he was in practice and just had a poor game. Hell, his first taste of D1 soccer came against Akron. If he is, then I revert to liking David G at defensive mid, because he can be a very good defensive mid, but also add the ability to push forward and create. In a sense it gives us 2 attacking center mids ... and anyone who knows me knows that I think a team is better off with a defensive mid that can also attack even if he gives up a small amount of defensive abilities rather than a guy who is purely a defensive guy ala Kyle Beckerman before the Gold Cup. My ideal defensive mid is Bradley and I like him alongside a creative attacking mid. In effect Graydon and Fransisco (if Fransisco is what you heard he was and apparently who he showed McGinty he was in practice) ... I have my ideal central midfield pair.

Do remember that Robbie's Kristo's first game as a freshman was not something to be remembered. He was horrific. Looked lazy, out of shape, and like a waste of space. He certainly changed my opinion since then.

I remember that. I believe we watched it together and were shocked at how lazy and out of shape he seemed.

I like the roster overall

I wouldn't list Landon, Dempsey, and Altidore all as forwards as I can't imagine one of Landon or Dempsey doesn't start in the midfield as they have to all 3 be on the field.

I also would have kept Corona over Jones

Plenty of options offensively. Is Zusi healthy enough to start?

I'd throw Brooks in right off the bat, but JK probably won't.

I'd like to see Aron Johannsson at the half or soon after running alongside Jozy if we have a lead as he was very good in his one showing.

I like the roster overall

I wouldn't list Landon, Dempsey, and Altidore all as forwards as I can't imagine one of Landon or Dempsey doesn't start in the midfield as they have to all 3 be on the field.

I also would have kept Corona over Jones

Plenty of options offensively. Is Zusi healthy enough to start?

I'd throw Brooks in right off the bat, but JK probably won't.

I'd like to see Aron Johannsson at the half or soon after running alongside Jozy if we have a lead as he was very good in his one showing.

Maybe if they call the formation a 4-3-3 then you could call jozy, demps and Landon forwards, but I agree with you. I also agree with your idea of putting Landon in from of Bradley at CM. if go 4-4-2 with jozy and demps up top, Fabian, Landon Bradley and Zusi across the midfield and beas, Besler, brooks and Evans across the back.

Based on JK's comments, it appears Fabian is locked in at LM and Beas is our top LB option.

Agree with bringing bacon in with about 20 to go.

Unfortunately, I think we'll see jones starting.

Same holds true for baseball. Bills team would be in BETop five

The BE isn't near as powerful in baseball as it is in basketball. St. John's is a historically good program, but outside of that, it is a bit rough. Creighton is good too, but most of the better teams from the BE last year are now in the AAC or somewhere else.