SLU Soccer Pre-Season Ratings

kwyjibo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick recap of last night:

SLU won 2-0. First goal came on a freekick by Sweetin from just outside the left hand side of the 18. Ball snuck through traffic for David who was able to redirect in. Second goal was late in the game when Akron lost the ball just inside their defensive third. Ball made itin to the 18 (Bryce?), played to Hidalgo, before sliding it to Kohring who buried it from 6-8 yards out.

So the 2-0 score looks nice for sure but it certainly did not reflect the game. Akron has some damn good quality all over the field and it would likely show up in the possession stats. I would say 75% of the game was spent near our half and just outside our 18 with occasional moves forward by SLU which typically amounted to little.

Pros:

• We did beat a very high level team. Just looking at the roster for Akron had me in awe of the type of kids they get. The quality of player they had each and every position was just nuts. No one was very flashy but everyone's first touch, awareness, movement, and passing were top notch.
  • Shack and the new freshman goalie, Andre, came up with some point-blank saves to preserve the shut out. Andre had three for sure and looked great coming off the line. He's no more than 5'10" if that, but played big.
  • Our offside trap worked well numerous times as Akron tried to play diagonals over the top or through our centerbacks numerous times. They connected multiple times only to be called back for being offside. Akron played a 3-4-3 against our 4-4-2 and I will give a lot of credit to our backline for how they handled it. It wasn't perfect by any means but they had a plan and it worked.
  • Players: Graydon was man of match for me. All over the field, fiesty (early yellow on two footed challenge), great passing, composed on the ball, and broke forward numerous times from his d-mid position to start a forward move, and simply stood out. Heskamp was nails out of the back. Kristo, who came on in the second, was a menace the minute he got on there. Played as a great target guy (guy is a beast) and had at least 2-3 great runs into the 18, almost latching on to one floated ball by Roeckle but his touch failed him.

Cons:

• Played four attacking mids - Francisco, Sweetin, Lee, and Hidalgo. I had heard Francisco was the real deal but it felt like we had 10 players on the field with him out there. Rarely did he see the ball while he was out there. His workrate was sh-t, half-assing his recovery runs or pressuring of the ball. Graydon, who was playing d-mid, literally looked like he was the only center mid out there. Sweetin moved to center mid during the second half and provided an immediate spark to the position; I'd play him there but like him on the flank as well. Lee was ok there but was probably gassed at that point to do anything. Hidalgo was ok as well and grabbed an assist. Point is Francisco can't be the attacking mid if he can't get touches with part of that being his workrate. I still like Graydon as our attacking mid but I will have to agree with Skip that I'm not sure who plays d-mid other than him right now.
  • Midfield transition - While Akron routinely broke down our midfield quickly to get the ball to their forwards, we had a ton of trouble doing this. Couldn't figure out why exactly (Poor passing, first touch by SLU? Akron dropping deep after losing ball? Fwd dropping back to be a fourth midfielder?) Adnan started up top in the first half and I think he had maybe 3 balls played to him; he saw very little of the ball and was probably bored out there. Again not sure why this was happening but we won't beat many teams like Akron if we can break them down. I felt like we started out better but maybe grabbing that early 1-0 goal caused us to let up a bit or Akron simply picked it up.
  • Talked to Manning. He hurt his other knee while his hurt knee was recovering. Out another few weeks. Bummer but the German kid who filled in didn't look too bad as his replacement. Maybe Manning red shirts?

Great crowd with the new freshman staying throughout most of the game.

A few of my thoughts

Adnon wasn't involved because he didn't get involved and wasn't agressive with the ball when he had it. He's also to tall to not get his head on more balls in the air.

The Frosh keep looked good on low ballt coming out on one technically perfect and just picked it off an Akron forwards feet but he looked very poor on balls in the air. He looked like he couldn't reach a cross that was just higher than the post near his line and he came out on another high ball played into the box and missed. What I saw last night made me question his hops and athleticism.

We need Graydon free'd up from the defensive mid position. He should be pressing the ball forward not looking to lay it back which we did far to often even with time to turn upfield and it wasn't like Akron had dropped 9 players behind the ball and we had to draw them out. You can't play the ball through the midfield if the midfielders keep just dropping it back. Note ... not as much of a problem wide as it was in the middle

I also question why we brought Minor in late and never let him really get out front and use his spead. Robbie was winning balls in the air with his head and just looking to play it to space. A few times he got the ball to a free Kingsley Bryce who doesn't have the speed to take advantage. Minor should have subbed up top for Kingsley and looked to play off Robbie

Shack looked good in the 1st half. I keep wanting to find a better keep and Shack keeps being better than I give him credit for being

I thought the German Kid playing center back also looked good. Composed and strong on the ball.

As SLUballs said we couldn't hold possesion part of that was Akron playing tough and very handsy as they were allowed to grab and hold all night, but the biggest problem was we seemed to lack the ability to bring the ball under control with our 1st touch turning to many balls into 50/50 balls. We also seemed to be soft on our passes giving Akron time to step infront and intercept.

All in all we won the game by capitilizing on an early sloppy goal. It was however an exhibition against a good team. We played without Robbie the 1st half and without Manning for the entire game

Also I wasn't impressed with Fransisco either, hardly recognized he was on the field. I'd prefer Graydon as the attacking mid as I love his creativity with the ball at his feet, and find a different option for defensive mid

MLS on Campus: Ranking the top 10 contenders for this year's NCAA College Cup

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/26/mls-campus-ranking-top-10-contenders-years-ncaa-college-cup

9) St. Louis University

The Billikens aren’t necessarily a sexy pick to make a run for a national title. After all, SLU haven’t won one since 1973, and despite winning the Atlantic 10 last season, they bowed out to unseeded Fairleigh Dickinson in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Nonetheless, St. Louis can put basically the same team on the field in 2013 that it did in 2012, and it spread out its 46 goals scored fairly democratically. The Billikens have plenty of weapons at their disposal, but with games against UConn, Creighton and Louisville on the docket, we’ll have to wait and see if they translate to wins.

• Key Player: Robert Kristo, F
  • Alumnus in MLS: Brad Davis

MLS on Campus: Ranking the top 10 contenders for this year's NCAA College Cup

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/26/mls-campus-ranking-top-10-contenders-years-ncaa-college-cup

-good stuff

-not that money is everything, would a soccer final 4 or championship run contribute significantly to ADept funds? I can see other benefits of winning, just wondering about the potential monetary benefits, if any

This has been out for a while but I thought I would include this summary of the A-10 coaches preseason picks:

Atlantic-10 Preseason Poll (last years record included, then votes recorded):
Saint Louis (16-5-0; 7-2-0) 143 (11)
VCU (12-4-5; 6-1-2) 133 (1)
George Mason (11-6-2; 4-5-1 CAA) 113
Dayton (11-5-2; 5-3-1) 112
La Salle (10-7-3; 4-4-1) 89
Fordham (6-7-4; 2-4-3) 84
Duquesne (7-12-1; 4-4-1) 70
Rhode Island (4-11-3; 3-5-1) 51
Massachusetts (5-10-2; 2-7-0) 50
George Washington (5-13-0; 2-7-0) 48
St. Bonaventure (5-14-0; 3-6-0) 28
Saint Joseph’s (5-11-2; 1-6-2) 15

Preseason All-Atlantic-10 Team:
F – Simon Gomez, Duquesne
F – Robert Kristo, Saint Louis
F – Emmett O’Connor, St. Bonaventure
M - Romena Bowie, VCU
M - David Graydon, Saint Louis
M - Alex Sweetin, Saint Louis
M - Jason Plumhoff, La Salle
D - Dennis Castillo, VCU
D - Anthony Manning Saint Louis
D - Juan Monge, VCU
GK - John McCarthy, La Salle

-good stuff

-not that money is everything, would a soccer final 4 or championship run contribute significantly to ADept funds? I can see other benefits of winning, just wondering about the potential monetary benefits, if any

No, there is no direct money in winning. I doubt if the additional travel and logistics would cost less than any extra money generated. Football bowl games are big money losers even if they are big bowls (athough football travels way more). Any success would be a boon for the program itself.

Just random info on ex-SLU players:

• Calum Angus - After a stint in one of the Nordic leagues, he's now in the Indian premiership. Strange.
  • Tim Ward - Currently out of contract and out of MLS.
  • Tim Ream - Picked up man of match honors for Bolton after good showing as defensive mid in loss to QPR last weekend. Maybe a change of position will help him garner more time.
  • Brad Davis - putting together another solid season at Houston with a few goals and typical assists. Still think he has a shot at WC roster; not a starter but maybe someone to pull on late when freekicks start picking up.
  • Brandon Barklage - Playing very well with Red Bulls at outside back. Also has 5 assists.
  • Brian Grazier - Assistant coach at Rutgers
  • Johnny D - At Ernst & Young. Last played for Richmond Kickers.
  • Will John - Playing in Azerbaijan Premier League.

Can't make the Oral Roberts game this weekend so expecting a nice report from someone.

• Calum Angus - After a stint in one of the Nordic leagues, he's now in the Indian premiership. Strange.
  • Tim Ream - Picked up man of match honors for Bolton after good showing as defensive mid in loss to QPR last weekend. Maybe a change of position will help him garner more time.
  • Brad Davis - putting together another solid season at Houston with a few goals and typical assists. Still think he has a shot at WC roster; not a starter but maybe someone to pull on late when freekicks start picking up.
  • Brandon Barklage - Playing very well with Red Bulls at outside back. Also has 5 assists.

Can't make the Oral Roberts game this weekend so expecting a nice report from someone.

I think I'll be there. Thanks for the info from you and KWYJBO

I didn't know Barkledge had been made an outside back. As you know that's something I like and would like to see more of. Brandon was always an offensive player but possibly lacked the skills to be a force up top or in the midfield. However, he plays with the toughness and grit to be able to make the conversion to defense. I don't remember him being particularly fast. Does he have the speed to get up the wing consistently? I'm now going to want to watch some Red Bull games

Dipsy Selolwane is still playing in the South African Premier League although with one of the bottom teams (started, 74 mins, in a cup game and subbed in for 34 minutes in the league game). I thought he was going to retire but is still trying to score goals at 35 (officially an attacking mid these days). Retired at the international level although if asked I am sure he would play.

Jack Jewsbury is key player in Portland's midfield. He actually got carted off with a possible head injury vs Seattle this weekend so hopefully he's alright.

I saw a little of the Portland vs Seattle game this weekend and noticed that. It seems so long ago that he played for SLU

How about 67K for an MLS match.

I think I'll be there. Thanks for the info from you and KWYJBO

I didn't know Barkledge had been made an outside back. As you know that's something I like and would like to see more of. Brandon was always an offensive player but possibly lacked the skills to be a force up top or in the midfield. However, he plays with the toughness and grit to be able to make the conversion to defense. I don't remember him being particularly fast. Does he have the speed to get up the wing consistently? I'm now going to want to watch some Red Bull games

Yes. Brandon has always been a good athlete, good speed, in particular closing speed, bouncy, good two way player that can play a variety of positions. Excelled as a two way wide mid. Also spent time in the middle and up top. His sister was a good center back. He is more versatile than some other backs.

Yes. Brandon has always been a good athlete, good speed, in particular closing speed, bouncy, good two way player that can play a variety of positions. Excelled as a two way wide mid. Also spent time in the middle and up top. His sister was a good center back. He is more versatile than some other backs.

OK, I know my long term memory is terrible, but this is the Brandon Barklage I remember. Also, good at set-pieces.

I saw a little of the Portland vs Seattle game this weekend and noticed that. It seems so long ago that he played for SLU

How about 67K for an MLS match.

He must have graduated about a decade ago. I remember seeing him play at games I attended along with my grade school team. Those visits are honestly what put SLU on my radar when it came time to look at schools.

Seattle has phenomenal fan support. Hopefully some other franchises find a way to match their enthusiasm.

No, there is no direct money in winning. I doubt if the additional travel and logistics would cost less than any extra money generated. Football bowl games are big money losers even if they are big bowls (athough football travels way more). Any success would be a boon for the program itself.

-thank you for the info

So now we can claim Johnny Depp AND Stamos as Billiken fans?

We will not claim Johnny Depp associated with SLU in any way. Stamos reigns king and Depp remains a lowly doucher

Soccer America (edited the above as well) is the most positive on SLU and has SLU at 8th in the their ranking.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/53454/soccer-america-preseason-mens-top-25.html

Bennett Rankings, which is terrible and has SLU 58th, has Oral Roberts as the worst D-I team in the country. Massey has them 5th from the bottom but both rankings are based on last year and Oral Roberts was not good last year.

Sent a note to College Soccer News as they don't even have a write up for SLU this year. Got a nice note back from an editor this morning saying they just didn't have time to get everyone done this year but that SLU was mentioned elsewhere.

I like the College Soccer News site, but find the decision to leave SLU out to be puzzling based upon a few factors

SLU's recent resurgence coupled with their history of having won the most NCAA titles of any school.

SLU's #10 ranking on their site

SLU having 2 players on the Hermann Trophy watch list.

Sent a note to College Soccer News as they don't even have a write up for SLU this year. Got a nice note back from an editor this morning saying they just didn't have time to get everyone done this year but that SLU was mentioned elsewhere.

I like the College Soccer News site, but find the decision to leave SLU out to be puzzling based upon a few factors

SLU's recent resurgence coupled with their history of having won the most NCAA titles of any school.

This is interesting as I kept expecting a preview from them (they have done about 30 other previews). I assumed it was in the pipeline. It is weird as in the past they have run previews and recruiting review stories on SLU when they were not as good.

I noticed this too and thought it was odd for all of reasons you listed. Thanks for checking in on it.

*sarcasm* Someone at collegesoccernews.com must be a former PD employee with a bias against SLU.