Interesting take on Vedad Ibisevic's post-SLU career

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. It'll be good to see him play against the USMNT on Aug 14.

Anyone watching the Gold Cup?

Good to see Stuart and Landon back

Beasley's looked pretty good at LB. If the threads can be searched I suggested the play him there years ago. About time they are listening to me

Jurgen, continue to listen and .... Please, Please, Please don't ever make me watch Kyle Beckerman play again

1 defensive mid and he must be able to attack. If you don't at least have the offensive ability of Michael Bradley, please leave the field.

Lets not fall in love with Wondo after his 3 goal game.

I miss the service of Steve Cherundalo

Beasley's looked pretty good at LB. If the threads can be searched I suggested the play him there years ago. About time they are listening to me

Jurgen, continue to listen and .... Please, Please, Please don't ever make me watch Kyle Beckerman play again

1 defensive mid and he must be able to attack. If you don't at least have the offensive ability of Michael Bradley, please leave the field.

Agree with everything you said here regarding the Nats. Holden looks great albeit against subpar comp. Would like to see him and Bradley pair up.

I think that Bradley's offensive-minded midfield pairs near perfectly with Jermaine Jones's defensive mindedness in central midfield. Also, Fabian Johnson's play at wingback has made is miss Cherundolo much less.

If Altidore stays in this kind of form, we will be a force to be reckoned with in Brazil. I look forward to watching his scoring ability in the Premier League next year with Sunderland.

And it looks like Clint Dempsey is moving again...

... from stlmag.com and DJ Wilson:

http://www.stlmag.com/Blogs/SLM-Daily/July-2013/Vedad-Ibisevic-The-Greatest-Local-Soccer-Player-You-Havent-Heard-Enough-About/

Watching threads I start rapidly sink since 2011,

Thomas

That's a very good, very accurate article on Vedad Ibisevic. It covers quite a bit of different things. He is such a unique, skilled talent.

Separately related to the piece, St. Louis comes in at 24 out of 25 largest metro areas with a foreign born population. Hopefully that will change moving forward. And hopefully the integrated diversity will come with it.

And, hopefully more effort will be made to give more access to more kids from more places in the area to play. It isn't enough of a priority for some.

Skip....gotta disagree about Beasley. He's look ok versus pretty poor competition but against better talent he gets exposed, especially his over commitments time and time again. He has speed and can recover but I would take Fabian Johnson at left back all day. Bring Beasley as a backup maybe.

We didn't play our best. Better in the second half when Cuba started to wear out and we were more decisive with our attack. Definately didn't play like crap.

When Moy posted, we were playing like crap. Really sorted things out in the second half. Wicked strike from Corona, and Wondo brought his scoring boots again.

Skip....gotta disagree about Beasley. He's look ok versus pretty poor competition but against better talent he gets exposed, especially his over commitments time and time again. He has speed and can recover but I would take Fabian Johnson at left back all day. Bring Beasley as a backup maybe.

By no means am I saying he should be our #1, just sayting he's played well and is much better as a left back than anywhere in the midfield. I'll take him over Castillo all day. Had we been smart enough to move him there years ago, the defensive part of his game would probably be better.

What a bad day for Brek Shea.

Announcers talking about IF Landon has a place on the WC team. Seriously?

Wondo is going to make me at least pay attention. Hell if Gomez can make the team ...

As hard as I've been on Beckerman and as much as I dislike him, he was more willing to turn the ball upfield and made a couple of nice passes. His assist on Wondo's first goal was sweet as was Wondo's finish.

Is Gooch (who I've always liked) getting back in the mix? It's not like we have any center backs just taking a spot. Defense again exposed by speed and lack of awareness. No way the goal scorer should have been allowed to get that inside position.

Holden just ok.

Torres looking good, I like his willingness to take defenders on rather than just constantly laying the ball off.

Costa Rica will be a bigger challenge, we won't be able to give away an easy goal

Ah ok. I agree but to be fair it always takes some time to break down the defense when they play 11 men behind the ball.

Great to see Wondo doing well but I'm not sure he has a spot on the WC team. Who would he replace?

Who are your forwards? Do you play Dempsey up top or in the midfield?

Ah ok. I agree but to be fair it always takes some time to break down the defense when they play 11 men behind the ball.

Great to see Wondo doing well but I'm not sure he has a spot on the WC team. Who would he replace?

At the time, we we collectively bad. Shea was horrible. Holden, I'm a big fan of his, was uncharacteristically sloppy. Corona was a mess. Our defense was porous.

However, we turned in a much better performance in the second half (and the last 5 minutes of the 1st half). Cuba still carved us up a few times. Diskerud really impressed me.

-Mix Diskerud is legit. He seems to offer something we don't have a whole lot of in our pool in terms of creativity. Mix actually posts in a thread over at bigsoccer.com from time to time and is a really cool guy, so he has that going for him too. B)

-Shea was bad today for sure, but I still like his potential. Not sure why he is even playing in this tournament, though. He needs to get time at Stoke if he wants to make the roster for Brazil, and missing preseason probably doesn't help in that regard.

-Holden didn't look great, but I attribute that to the "Beckerman Effect". Xavi would struggle alongside Beckerman. :P Okay, Beckerman was better in the second half, but that doesn't atone for a national team career of mediocrity. Sorry.

-Like I mentioned earlier, Wondo was impressive, but I think he has work to do to make it to Brazil. A few good games against CONCACAF minnows don't guarantee you anything (unless you are Landon).

-Landon needs to be back with the full team. Not sure anybody can argue that, though I'm sure Klinsi will try.

-Gooch doesn't impress me. Too slow, unfortunately. Good career, though.

-Don't care for Torres.

-Corona has potential. Awesome strike today.

-Castillo looks much better in attack than defense.

Costa Rica also only beat Belize 1-0 on a fluke own goal, so we are well ahead in goal differential in the group. Costa Rica haven't conceded in forever, though, so Tuesday could be difficult. I'd hope for:

--------------------------Wondo-------------------------

Corona------------------------------------------Gomez

--------------------------Landon-------------------------

--------------------Mix---------Holden---------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------

Beasley----------Orozco--------Gooch--------Parkhurst

--------------------------Rimando---------------------------

I'm sure we will see Beckerman, though, and Klinsi might choose to rest some of the other starters with qualification to the knockout rounds clinched. At the same time, I imagine he will want to win the group, so who knows?

-Mix Diskerud is legit. He seems to offer something we don't have a whole lot of in our pool in terms of creativity. Mix actually posts in a thread over at bigsoccer.com from time to time and is a really cool guy, so he has that going for him too. B)

-Shea was bad today for sure, but I still like his potential. Not sure why he is even playing in this tournament, though. He needs to get time at Stoke if he wants to make the roster for Brazil, and missing preseason probably doesn't help in that regard.

-Holden didn't look great, but I attribute that to the "Beckerman Effect". Xavi would struggle alongside Beckerman. :P Okay, Beckerman was better in the second half, but that doesn't atone for a national team career of mediocrity. Sorry.

-Like I mentioned earlier, Wondo was impressive, but I think he has work to do to make it to Brazil. A few good games against CONCACAF minnows don't guarantee you anything (unless you are Landon).

-Landon needs to be back with the full team. Not sure anybody can argue that, though I'm sure Klinsi will try.

-Gooch doesn't impress me. Too slow, unfortunately. Good career, though.

-Don't care for Torres.

-Corona has potential. Awesome strike today.

-Castillo looks much better in attack than defense.

Costa Rica also only beat Belize 1-0 on a fluke own goal, so we are well ahead in goal differential in the group. Costa Rica haven't conceded in forever, though, so Tuesday could be difficult. I'd hope for:

--------------------------Wondo-------------------------

Corona------------------------------------------Gomez

--------------------------Landon-------------------------

--------------------Mix---------Holden---------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------

Beasley----------Orozco--------Gooch--------Parkhurst

--------------------------Rimando---------------------------

I'm sure we will see Beckerman, though, and Klinsi might choose to rest some of the other starters with qualification to the knockout rounds clinched. At the same time, I imagine he will want to win the group, so who knows?

I'd agree Mix could be getting in the mix. Corona hasn't impressed me either way ... but the goal was a nice shot.

Can't imagine what you have seen from Castillo to say he's better on the attacking end.

Don't disagree on Wondo but seriously what are our options up top? I'm really not a fan of Gomez at all. I'd assume Dempsey plays up top with Jozy but after that?

Do we have a center back that isn't too slow? Not saying Gooch will or should make the team, just I think he's played well enough to get more looks. Imo our entire back line is just choices on who's the lesser of evils.

Watched quite a bit of the Costa Rica game. Didn't look so good, could have been called for offsides on their goal.

I'd agree Mix could be getting in the mix. Corona hasn't impressed me either way ... but the goal was a nice shot.

Can't imagine what you have seen from Castillo to say he's better on the attacking end.

Don't disagree on Wondo but seriously what are our options up top? I'm really not a fan of Gomez at all. I'd assume Dempsey plays up top with Jozy but after that?

Do we have a center back that isn't too slow? Not saying Gooch will or should make the team, just I think he's played well enough to get more looks. Imo our entire back line is just choices on who's the lesser of evils.

Watched quite a bit of the Costa Rica game. Didn't look so good, could have been called for offsides on their goal.

Don't care for Gomez either. I'd say Dempsey, Donovan and jozy are our three main options up top. Kinda thin. I'm not a wondo fan, but no one else is ready (eg bruin, jack Mac).

Don't care for Gomez either. I'd say Dempsey, Donovan and jozy are our three main options up top. Kinda thin. I'm not a wondo fan, but no one else is ready (eg bruin, jack Mac).

+1. I just think Herc is our best option gor the fourth at this point, unless Wondo can prove he can score aainst actual competition. Better than Belize, Cuba, or Guatemala. Also, Dempsey and Donovan both have been playing more of a Center Forward or an attacking midfielder rather than a striker, which is what Herc's role is.

Castillo got beat like a redheaded stepchild on Cuba's goal, though others were also at fault. I liked him in space in the second half taking on defenders out wide. Off the top of my head, I believe one of his runs led to Wondo's second goal.

At center back, I really like the Besler and Gonzalez combo, despite some mishaps they have had. I think those will work themselves out with time. If John Anthony Brooks commits to the US soon, I'd think he'd be in Brazil as well.

With regards to our attacking options, keep an eye on Aron Johannsson. He's an Icelandic-American who recently said he'd like to train with the USMNT. He scored a bunch in Europe the past couple years and recently moved to AZ, where he played for a while with Jozy. If he commits to the US, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up in Brazil. I also think Terrence Boyd could have a big year in Austria, and he is definitely a Klinsi favorite.

So right now, in terms of pure attacking options, I think Jozy, Johannsson, and Boyd would all have the leg up on Wondo. If you consider Dempsey, Landon, and Eddie Johnson attackers, they are all ahead as well.

Obviously this is mostly just my opinion. I would not at all be surprised or disappointed if Wondo made it to Brazil, but I think it will take a little more than beating up on CONCACAF minnows.

Castillo got beat like a redheaded stepchild on Cuba's goal, though others were also at fault. I liked him in space in the second half taking on defenders out wide. Off the top of my head, I believe one of his runs led to Wondo's second goal.

At center back, I really like the Besler and Gonzalez combo, despite some mishaps they have had. I think those will work themselves out with time. If John Anthony Brooks commits to the US soon, I'd think he'd be in Brazil as well.

With regards to our attacking options, keep an eye on Aron Johannsson. He's an Icelandic-American who recently said he'd like to train with the USMNT. He scored a bunch in Europe the past couple years and recently moved to AZ, where he played for a while with Jozy. If he commits to the US, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up in Brazil. I also think Terrence Boyd could have a big year in Austria, and he is definitely a Klinsi favorite.

So right now, in terms of pure attacking options, I think Jozy, Johannsson, and Boyd would all have the leg up on Wondo. If you consider Dempsey, Landon, and Eddie Johnson attackers, they are all ahead as well.

Obviously this is mostly just my opinion. I would not at all be surprised or disappointed if Wondo made it to Brazil, but I think it will take a little more than beating up on CONCACAF minnows.

Boyd hasn't done a thing with the USMNT. Now, he may go to brazil because he is a favorite of klinsman, but he doesn't bring anything to the table in my opinion.

Boyd hasn't done a thing with the USMNT. Now, he may go to brazil because he is a favorite of klinsman, but he doesn't bring anything to the table in my opinion.

His clever back-heel led to our goal in Azteca last August, though I agree he hasn't done much other than that. Basically, he has the same scoring record Wondo had before these last three games against minnows, and it's arguable that Boyd got less service. Factor in that he's 8 years younger, and I think I'd rather see Boyd.

You really like Gonzalez and Besler or do you just believe they are the best of a mediocre group?

I'm not even going to consider or think about a guy in Aron Johannsson who's never played 1 second for the USMNT, at least not until he does actually enter the picture

Hell, I don't know if Wondo can make it or even should. What I stated was he's made me want to see a little more ... and that he has done. Regardless of the level of competition there is something to be said for putting the ball in the net. Gomez played in the last WC how many did he score against the same bad opposition. Maybe new optionsd will come forward but until they do, I think Wondo has earned more looks.

Terrence Boyd has yet to impress me one way or another.

We still have a year to go with still quite a few questions to answer

You really like Gonzalez and Besler or do you just believe they are the best of a mediocre group?

I'm not even going to consider or think about a guy in Aron Johannsson who's never played 1 second for the USMNT, at least not until he does actually enter the picture

Hell, I don't know if Wondo can make it or even should. What I stated was he's made me want to see a little more ... and that he has done. Regardless of the level of competition there is something to be said for putting the ball in the net. Gomez played in the last WC how many did he score against the same bad opposition. Maybe new optionsd will come forward but until they do, I think Wondo has earned more looks.

I like Besler. Gonzo? Not so much.

I like Besler. Gonzo? Not so much.