Ackerman/Big East Today

Taj79

Article references a press conference to announce her today: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9423450/val-ackerman-new-big-east-commissioner-sources-say

I would have been extremely excited seeing as we all had heard of some sort of June 30th deadline but now, this is just another day in the life. In the sound portion of this link, Andy Katz talks about how the ten Big East presidents did well to break off from the old Big East, but he speculates that the league itself -- it's inner workings, schedules, and staffing and all that -- did not seem to receive the level of attention and priority that it should have from these same presidents, resulting in the delay of hiring a commish and the subsequent delays in start-up as well. I think this shows that the league is a little behind the power curve from where they should be, therefore resulting in the delay of anything else.

In a parallel topic, I also saw yesterday in the Baltimore Sun's "Transactions" section that the A10 has signed Commish Bernadette McGlade to an extension throuigh 2018. I guess those presidents like th ejob Bernie did in terms of recovering from the raid the new Big East laid on the A10. The quickness with which the A10 reacted, by adding Mason and Davidson so quickly, probably reflected well on Ms. McGlade.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They do seem a might disorganized. This delay has likely put expansion far down their list of priorities. I'll go out on a limb and say expansion wlll wait until after the13-14 season and a review of the leagues first full season, read dance invites.

Let's hope SLU does well in both soccer and makes some noise come March.

Per ESPN's Andy Katz:

New Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said the conference is set at 10. If this conference is going to be all about basketball then 10 is the magic number. The Big 12 is finding out what the Pac-12 (then the Pac-10) knew for years. Having a true round-robin makes for the most equitable conference season and ultimate champion. The new Big East doesn't need anymore of the A-10 schools to be solvent. They have enough of the market place and would not benefit much from adding more schools simply to get more teams in the tournament. There is not even guarantee that would occur. The most pressing moves Ackerman has to do in the coming weeks -- outside of visiting every school -- is to hire a staff, find rental space in New York City and finalize a difficult schedule because of the pro-arena conflicts for many of the teams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85875/3-point-shot-10-is-right-for-new-big-east

Didn't Katz try to make the case that Big East was going to only be 8 teams and that was the best size for a league only a few months ago?

He probably did but that misses the point. He is not making up that "magic 10" number; he is getting it from Ackerman/"smaller" Big East themselves. That is bad news. I get that Fox Sports 1 would want more markets but it also self-evident that the existing teams would not want to share. If Smaller Big East gets decent casual ratings on FS1 there is no one who would push for more teams (as a SLU fan the only thing you can do is not watch FS1). Everything else is easier with 10 teams.

as i said a few weeks ago. the bus has left the station. to continue to pine for the big east is fruitless and we should concentrate on being the crown jewel of the A-10 going forward.

Per ESPN's Andy Katz:

New Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said the conference is set at 10. If this conference is going to be all about basketball then 10 is the magic number. The Big 12 is finding out what the Pac-12 (then the Pac-10) knew for years. Having a true round-robin makes for the most equitable conference season and ultimate champion. The new Big East doesn't need anymore of the A-10 schools to be solvent. They have enough of the market place and would not benefit much from adding more schools simply to get more teams in the tournament. There is not even guarantee that would occur. The most pressing moves Ackerman has to do in the coming weeks -- outside of visiting every school -- is to hire a staff, find rental space in New York City and finalize a difficult schedule because of the pro-arena conflicts for many of the teams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/85875/3-point-shot-10-is-right-for-new-big-east

-well, this doesn't have a good ring to it, not at all

as i said a few weeks ago. the bus has left the station. to continue to pine for the big east is fruitless and we should concentrate on being the crown jewel of the A-10 going forward.

What a future...

Well, can't do anything but the best in the situation.

I guess I'll continue to be the calming voice here:

- I would have expected nothing different from the new commish. They all lie (or dance around the truth if you want to be kinder) and she likely started off her tenure with a little white lie.

- Katz's opinion has nothing to do with anything.

If you are a current big east member you want a school like SLU to think you don't need/want them. It doesn't matter if your

TV partner is telling you that you need to expand. It is all about squezing future members out of as much money as you can.

The new BE may want to basketball centric and 10 is a magical number, but it comes down to the TV deal with Fox to fund everything.

I Fox wants 12 teams in the league to provide content, the league will end up with 12 teams.

Sounds like we're screwed for the foreseeable future here, ladies and gentlemen.

Regardless of what they did or didn't do, Biondi and May need to be held accountable. Creighton lobbied hard and got in. We didn't and we're out. Would it have made a difference? Hard to say. But our current leadership got us nothing and we're in purgatory.

Sounds like we're screwed for the foreseeable future here, ladies and gentlemen.

Regardless of what they did or didn't do, Biondi and May need to be held accountable. Creighton lobbied hard and got in. We didn't and we're out. Would it have made a difference? Hard to say. But our current leadership got us nothing and we're in purgatory.

Yes. May should be relieved of his duties on Day 2 of the new president. Not making the initial 10 was a colossal blunder. If we don't get in at all..... bah.

However, the statement, "She's done a decent job so far (regarding the extension), but that TV deal sucks," seems to presuppose that she [McGlade] was responsible for the deal.

It doesn't matter if Bud Selig was the commissioner of the A-10, the TV deal sucks. I asked the question before I said that.

Personally, I don't buy the notion that 10 is the ideal number for a conference with a focus on basketball if it aspires to be considered on par with the basketball of the football-focused power conferences. With the talk of secession from the NCAA, you want to make sure your footprint in the landscape is considerable.

Also, if the money from TV and marketing will be greater with the right 12 teams than with 10 teams, I think the landscape dictates that it would behoove them to go to 12. I also don't buy the notion that a double-round-robin conference schedule is crucial to determining the quality of the championship.

Yes. May should be relieved of his duties on Day 2 of the new president. Not making the initial 10 was a colossal blunder. If we don't get in at all..... bah.

How is May responsible for doin the job of the President. He couldn't even announce Crews as the new HC until Biondi made the call.

Conference realignment is above his pay grade. This one should be 100% on Biondi if we don't get in.

I don't buy it, either, but our opinions matter less than those of the new commissioner and current members. Now, do their opinions matter more than those of the TV giants? Probably not. But I don't know how long it will take for them to get what they want.

Personally, I don't buy the notion that 10 is the ideal number for a conference with a focus on basketball if it aspires to be considered on par with the basketball of the football-focused power conferences. With the talk of secession from the NCAA, you want to make sure your footprint in the landscape is considerable.

Also, if the money from TV and marketing will be greater with the right 12 teams than with 10 teams, I think the landscape dictates that it would behoove them to go to 12. I also don't buy the notion that a double-round-robin conference schedule is crucial to determining the quality of the championship.

I know one of the sets of numbers that was released had 500M for 10 teams and 600M for 12, which created no different payout for either scenario.

It doesn't matter if Bud Selig was the commissioner of the A-10, the TV deal sucks. I asked the question before I said that.

Exactly. If you had reversed the statement and the question, it would no longer appear that you were suggesting McGlade deserves the blame for what Bruno did.